Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Chocolat

Chocolat

Date: Oct 17 2001

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Do you like chocolate? After watching the movie Chocolat you will. Find out why Tanis and Chad enjoyed watching this movie.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Tanis

Tanis

Chad

Chad

Tanis:  Chad, I was thinking about you this weekend!

Chad:  Oh really? Uh oh!

Tanis:  Nothing bad! Um, I saw that movie Chocolat and I just, you know, you’re always over there eating chocolate so I, I couldn’t help, but think, I wonder if Chad’s seen this movie?

Chad:  Yeah, I do have a craving for chocolate. I’m always, uh, popping stuff in my mouth, chocolate bars, chocolate anything.

Tanis:  I know, I see those wrappers in the, in the waste paper basket!

Chad:  Yeah, I gotta take the trash out a little too much because of that.

Tanis:  Just to hide your habits, but seriously have you seen that movie?

Chad:  I have and I really liked it. It was, uh, it was just a neat…I mean Juliette… she’s a great actress and I thought that the plot of having this stodgy, self-righteous town in rural France and then these people that wanted to bring this new attitude right across the street from the church with this chocolate shop and sort of this sensuality that goes with eating chocolate and then transferring it into your relationships. It’s pretty cool.

Tanis:  I, I thought it was wonderful and it’s a perfect, um, synopsis of, of that movie, but

it, it’s neat that they chose to kind of emphasize that spirit with chocolate and um, I mean aside from loving the movie I was hungry almost the entire time watching them whip up all the different pastries and treats.

Chad:  Definitely. Whenever a new couple came in that had marriage problems or just problems, you’d always see her extending a new dish to them. It was always funny seeing the couples comeback all excited about it.

Tanis:  It was great. I thought it was really a fun movie.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

I agree with Tanis and Chad, Chocolat is a really good movie. The film stops and makes you think about how you can change people’s mind or influence them by your actions.
I enjoyed watching Juliette Binoche, who plays Vianne, the chocolate shop owner, interact with the townspeople. She helped them realize that they could change and bring more happiness into their lives through sweetness and chocolate. She seemed like more of a counselor than a chocolate-maker. She was constantly lending people a friendly ear and helping people solve their problems.
The secret ingredient that Vianne put in her chocolate was peppers. I know it doesn’t sound very tasty, but I wonder if chocolate and peppers would be a good combination. What do you think? Did you like the movie Chocolat? Tell me about it on the “Movie Madness” message board.
Have fun with the quiz and I’ll talk to you next week,
Nedra

Comments

Hashem55

Hashem55

Saudi Arabia

I love chocolate

I like thes Laughing

01:27 AM Jan 27 2008 |

Josh K

Josh K

Guatemala