Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Movies of the Year

Movies of the Year

Date: Feb 06 2002

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

It’s that time of year when people start choosing their favorite actors, actresses, and movies of the year. Oscar nominations have not been made yet, but we thought we’d share our own picks for 2001.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Nedra

Nedra

Miguel

Miguel

John

John

Tanis

Tanis

Nedra:  Hey Miguel, how’s it going today?

Miguel:  Going really well. How are you doing?

Nedra:  Oh, pretty good, pretty good, um, so, have you seen a lot of movies this year?

Miguel:  I’ve seen just about every good movie that came out this year.

Nedra:  So, who do you think’s going to win the Academy Awards?

Miguel:  I would say, the odds on favorite this year is Black Hawk Down for best picture.

Nedra:  Really? Why is that?

Miguel:  Well, I know it’s a dark horse pick, but that movie had the biggest impact on me of any movie I’ve seen so far.

Nedra:  Cool. Cool. Okay, John, who do you think’s going to win, um, Best Actor at the Oscars this year?

John:  I think it’s gonna be Tom Cruise. Even though Vanilla Sky sucked, I thought he did a pretty good job.

Nedra:  That’s kind of controversial. I don’t know about that. Hey John, I thought you liked Vanilla Sky? I think I wrote a lesson about how you, you dug it.

John:  Uh, Did I say that?

Nedra:  Yes you did!

John:  Okay, well I think Tom Cruise is still gonna win, and Vanilla Sky 60!

Nedra:  I know Tanis. She must have a favorite actress.

Tanis:  I guess if I had to say I really liked someone, it would be, uh, Kate Beckinsale.

Nedra:  Oh, and she was in Serendipity right?

Tanis:  She’s in Serendipity * and she’s in Pearl Harbor*, which I didn’t see, but I just, I just like her. I like her style.

Nedra:  Nice.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Miguel said he saw a lot of movies this year, but he liked Black Hawk Down the best. I am actually surprised he chose that movie. I think my favorite movie of 2001 is Shrek.
I was a little confused when John said his favorite actor is Tom Cruise. He wasn’t sure how he felt about Vanilla Sky, but he is confident that Tom Cruise’s performance in the movie is outstanding. I would have to say that my favorite actor of 2001 is Russell Crowe.
Tanis’s choice for best actress is interesting. I haven’t seen Kate Beckinsale in many movies. I bet we will see her in many movies to come. I think Renee Zellweger would be my choice for Best Actress because she played a perfect Bridget Jones[/def].
What are your movie picks for 2001? Come to the Movie Madness message board and let us know!
Until next time,
Nedra

Comments

Smaira

Singapore

Humans V/S Zombies

04:57 AM Jun 25 2011 |

jarvis321

Germany

No strings Attached

Just go with it

hall Pass