Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

The Break-Up

The Break-Up

Date: Jul 12 2006

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

There is no such thing as an easy break-up, especially when you’re living with the one you once loved. In the movie The Break-Up, Brooke (Jennifer Aniston) and Gary (Vince Vaughn) decide to call it quits. However, neither of them is willing to give up the condominium they share. Instead of agreeing to go their separate ways, they engage in emotional warfare in an attempt to drive the other person out.

Listen to Emily and Amanda talk about The Break-Up.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Emily

Emily

Amanda

Amanda

Emily:  So, I just saw The Break-Up the other day.

Amanda:  How was that? Talk about the movie with the largest build up!

Emily:  Exactly, exactly. It was really good actually. I was pretty surpised. It had a nice dramatic element to it, and, um, I used to live in Chicago so it was really nice to see that city showcased. And I recognized a lot of the places. So that was kind of fun.

Amanda:  So, what did you think about the onscreen chemistry between the two leads, Vince and Jennifer?

Emily:  Actually, I thought it was really good. Either they’re really good actors…

Amanda:  Or they’re really in love.

Emily:  ...or they really have something going on.

Amanda:  So, is it a comedy, or is it more of a date movie?

Emily:  More like a dramedy.

Amanda:  Okay.

Emily:  It could be a good date movie. I just thought that they were both, Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn were really good in it. I thought the comedy was good, it was realistic. I thought the drama part was realistic.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

People have been talking about the movie The Break-Up for a long time because of the speculation surrounding the relationship between Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn. Until recently, the two claimed that they were just friends, but now it’s clear that over the past year they have developed an intimate relationship.

The Break-Up highlights the difficulties of ending a relationship, especially after you’ve begun nesting with your partner. To get some tips on how to end a relationship, check out the lesson How to Leave Your Lover.

Comments

nono ksa

nono ksa

Saudi Arabia

hey 

i saw the movie  and yah  it's realistic even when they changed  but i didn't like the end it's  like they have wall bettwen their realtionship   maybe they will back togther   that's what i understand it  from their talking

05:50 AM Sep 21 2008 |

1 person likes this

Valentora

Valentora

United States

The best one!

05:39 AM Jul 18 2006 |

1 person likes this

Likes (18):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook