Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

knock someone out

knock someone out

Date: Feb 11 2010

Themes: Health, Sports

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“I said to the ambulance driver, ‘You might have to knock me out, because I don’t know if I can take this pain.’”

- Actor Channing Tatum talking about a recent injury. (usweeklymag dot com)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

hit someone so hard that they lose consciousness

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

When you’re mad at someone, there are different ways to deal with your anger. You could take the calm, rational approach and try to talk out your problems with that person. Or you could take a short cut and knock him out.

Knock someone out is used like a verb, as in, “I got so furious at him, I knocked him out.” But knockout can also be used as a noun. In boxing, a fighter wins a match when he gets a knockout. And when a woman is really gorgeous, she is sometimes called a knockout. She’s so beautiful, just looking at her could make you pass out! So a knockout isn’t always a bad. Sometimes we even say that something knocked us out if it really shocked, surprised, or impressed us.

But why would anyone ever want to be knocked out? Well, maybe you would want to lose consciousness if someone accidentally poured a bunch of boiling hot water down your pants. Believe it or not, that’s what recently happened to the actor Channing Tatum, the star of G.I. Joe. After the accident, Channing had to be rushed to the hospital and get treated for burns on his…um, let’s just say it was on a very sensitive part of his body. He was in so much pain in the ambulance that he wanted someone to knock him out so he wouldn’t have to feel it anymore. Luckily, Channing is now completely recovered. And he’s such a nice guy, he didn’t even knock out the person who spilled the boiling water on him!

Have you ever knocked anyone out or gotten knocked out? Have you ever gotten so mad at someone that you wanted to knock him out?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“Brad knocked his brother out when he found out that he’d been trying to hook up with Brad’s wife.”

“He’s so strong, I bet he could knock someone out with one punch.”

“Chris got really drunk at a party and knocked out some guy he didn’t even know.”

“Cory got knocked out by a big scary dude at the bar last night.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

Gipsy Girl it means to hit so hard until lose the conscience...
by Gipsy Girl
Sezai To impress someone very much, to make someone feel very shocked or upset,send somebody flying, lay somebody low, prostrate, knock down..
by Sezai
make him unconscious
by periwinkle.chic
Gellerke make someone unconscious
by Gellerke
Harry_Lime Hit somebody till it to fall and/or faint
by Harry_Lime

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

Evencline

Australia

The aims and goals other social and moral life are learned and taught to the students of the different sections foot he population. The segments of the online dissertation writing service of the society are getting equal education and precepts. The quality of the life is enhanced and raised.

07:02 AM Aug 12 2015 |

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

Humm no! thanks for God! I have never done it before hehe…But once when I trained kung fu I hit my friend with a kick in your face,we were training so he fell to the ground…Thereby it wasn't a knock out with a punch and yes with a kick :P

07:23 PM Feb 23 2010 |

rosendo

rosendo

Mexico

i havent been knocked out yet jijijiji , but i think i'll be one day knock out from one of my partner's from the ring bcs i practice boxing. in the other hand there is a barby that is knocking me out everyday when i see her.

saludos.

12:02 AM Feb 23 2010 |

nickyfat

China

I posted my guesses already, but I seemed wrong about the meaning of the slang. Whatever, I am glad to learn from the mistake I've made and it is really a nice phraze to know, but I've never knocked someone out or gotten knocked out, 'cuz I am a nice guy just like Channing, lol, kidding! I am easy-going and nice so no one picks me up or so, I am lucky, huh? But I have ever gotten so mad at someone that I wanted to knock him out, because he embarrased me which I hated the most, but I ended up leaving him alone because he was not worthy it. But anyways, he is still a jerk as far as I know.

05:11 AM Feb 19 2010 |

Crystal Eyes

Saudi Arabia

About the question ..I guess couple of times in the school

About that actor ..OMG..i like him a lot .. And he's really beautiful ..I'm so sad about what had he through :<

But thank god he safed .. It's so amazing that he didn't knocked out who did the thing to him "Maybe a gorgeous girl had made that accident with him:P"... Even that his look more like a viloence person .. 

Thanks a lot for the helpful lesson :)

11:43 PM Feb 17 2010 |

daisy0o0rose@hotmail.com

Germany

very nice slang

05:37 PM Feb 17 2010 |

Aurelio Araujo

Brazil

the best way to learn!:)

08:38 AM Feb 17 2010 |

Zambuka

Zambuka

United States

i never get so angry to knock somebody out))) i think that words are better than fists)

10:47 AM Feb 12 2010 |

ala4fadeel

Sudan

When I was a child I knocked out my brother! after that incident I used to control my anger. 

07:25 AM Feb 12 2010 |

mimixoxo

mimixoxo

Japan

poor channing… i didn't know this incident X( glad he recovered well!

02:26 AM Feb 12 2010 |

Hero812

Mexico

iim not very agressive…but when someone try to get me mad…im going to knock out his as&&%&!!

07:05 PM Feb 11 2010 |

ashu_085

India

i could knock anyone out providing he'll makes me mad

05:36 PM Feb 11 2010 |

ashu_085

India

i can knock someone out providing he 'll makes me mad.

05:33 PM Feb 11 2010 |

CoRv!S

CoRv!S

Colombia

To Knock sb out is not the more appropiate way for resolving something!!!!! I think so…...

04:39 PM Feb 11 2010 |

Izel2

Izel2

Colombia

Hmm yes! I recently knocked someone out! I was so mad!!  

02:49 PM Feb 11 2010 |

hoodoo

hoodoo

Turkey

andd sometimes i want to knock out myself when i dont dare to knock out the person who need to be knocking out:P

02:47 PM Feb 11 2010 |

bentembel

bentembel

Turkey

it is not humanistic, it is  animal drive, the easy way to solve a problem but often make problems biger…

02:42 PM Feb 11 2010 |

bentembel

bentembel

Turkey

it is not humanistic, it is  animal drive, the easy way to solve a problem but often make problems biger…

bentembel

bentembel

Turkey

karim1985

karim1985

Germany

it 's easy to knock out someone but the difficult is to control himself when we are in anger situation

01:30 PM Feb 11 2010 |

Likes (14):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast