Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Parent-Friendly Music
Parent-Friendly Music

How to use phrasal verbs

Date: Nov 08 2010

Themes: Family, Music

Grammar: Phrasal Verbs

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Music and rebellion often go together. Kids love to annoy their parents by blasting the songs they like. And parents always seem to find their kids’ music impossible to understand or appreciate, whether it’s Elvis with his hip-shaking rock-n-roll or Lady Gaga with her crazy meat dresses.

But sometimes you have to find music that both you and your parents can agree on, like when you’re stuck in a car together for a long road trip. Then it’s just a matter of figuring out which genres and artists are common ground for you and your parents. Find out what Dale and Mason listen to with their parents.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Mason

Mason

Dale

Dale

Mason:  I was in the car with my mom the other day, and woman just loves the oldies. Like, she never got over the music…

Dale:  Like the sixties? 1960s oldies?

Mason:  More like…

Dale:  1940s?

Mason:  You know, kind of fifties, sixties. But it wasn’t like the great stuff that was happening there, it was the mellow stuff. Kind of Neil Diamond-y, The Mamas and The Papas. I’m not a fan, but…So these are bands that, they’re not bad, but they just feel out of touch to me.

Dale:  My parents have listened to certain songs, but they usually get turned off really quick. It makes them angry because they don’t know certain music. I can understand that some. I don’t listen to a lot of rap, but there’s some rap songs that they do like.

Mason:  This is like when they come into your car and they’re like, “Turn that off!”

Dale:  Yeah, just, “I can’t stand that.”

Mason:  So let me put it this way. What is something that you can listen to and you and your parents are both happy?

Dale:  It would be basically classical.

Mason:  Yeah?

Dale:  Just as a safety, because then I…it doesn’t make me mad. It calms me down. My parents don’t really have to argue about any music, they can…

Mason:  So the same thing they play in the elevator is what you can hang out with your parents to.

Dale:  That’s what we jiggy to.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Phrasal Verbs" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Mason recently rode in a car with his mom and he couldn’t stand the kind of music she put on the radio. His mom only likes mellow oldies from the 1950s and 1960s.

Dale has an even harder time finding common ground with his parents when it comes to music. The only kind of music he and his parents can agree on is classical. When songs come on the radio that Dale’s parents don’t like or understand, they get annoyed and turn the music off.

What kind of music can you listen to with your parents? Do your parents get annoyed when you play the music you like?

Comments

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

Oh yeah really 'cause I have a taste of music too incommon to them hehe

For instance,I love to listen to music in my car…I'm moved by music,always! So in my car I listen always what I feel like…So I really like to listen to eletronic music,kind drum'n'bass,rock,heavy metal,80's,70's or even some 60's…So the only moment that me and my parents agree with some music is when I connect my radio in a station that its programming is based in international 60's,70's and 80's…

10:02 AM Jan 19 2011 |

Golden Lena

Russian Federation

We can listen to oldies music, radio! I see my parents so rarely that is why I dont mind to listen it.

02:47 PM Nov 19 2010 |

largado

largado

Brazil

my  grandma listen gospel songs, and my mom, oldies, but i like to listen the oldies too, really, im versatile about music, i listen since linkin park to tears for fears, and i loved it.

12:48 PM Nov 12 2010 |

elen swift

elen swift

Turkey

noo they dont get annoyed at all it isnt a problem between us hmm they like the music i like :)

04:34 PM Nov 11 2010 |

amany7

amany7

Saudi Arabia

my mom likes only religious songs, she complains sometimes, and my father is ok. with any type oldies in first and I don't mind about anything if the sound was't annoying :P 

03:58 PM Nov 11 2010 |

Ryo

Ryo

Saudi Arabia

cant  leetin with my parnets they dont like what i like 

01:56 PM Nov 11 2010 |

rebel lee

rebel lee

China

I love pop music and some of the foreign songs. My parents love old songs. Actually, sometimes I find that the old songs are also good. I can listen those songs with my parents. They don't understand the pop songs, but they don't care what kind of songs I like, and they don't get annoyed.

10:40 AM Nov 11 2010 |

Romio79

Romio79

Russian Federation

Fortunetly I don't have such problem with my parents. If we go on a road trip with my dad we listen to some rock, even some oldies. That is common ground for us.

06:17 PM Nov 09 2010 |

lolekesh

lolekesh

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

sometimes for peace the classic music is good but not always.

12:38 PM Nov 09 2010 |

Ryo

Ryo

Saudi Arabia

andergosa 

there  is also    types of classical music

its like  song  that has  types 

09:11 PM Nov 08 2010 |

andregosa

andregosa

Costa Rica

mmm the classic is really the best kind of music

because all kinds of people can deal with that and not fight 

but for my parents they love music of eighties 

07:55 PM Nov 08 2010 |

ancsy

ancsy

Hungary

Well, there is a radio,they play music from the 1980s and 1990s. That's enjoyable for me and for my parents too.

And certainly my parents love when I play the piano…:)

06:36 PM Nov 08 2010 |

masiran

masiran

my mom doesn't mind if i listen to music that i like although she is not a fan of new pop persian songs but when she sees us are happy with it and singing she likes it and never gets annoyed she never listens alone my sister and i are so much intersted in pop music we never listen to load music at home unless it's a party or..  we were invited to our cousin's wedding party 1 month ago in a big garden i was getting deaf ….lol but  it was amazing 

04:50 PM Nov 08 2010 |

Ryo

Ryo

Saudi Arabia

my  parnets like music  that   old  and    the music that they lesining to it when they 

young 

they  dont like   what i like 

12:28 PM Nov 08 2010 |

Ryo

Ryo

Saudi Arabia

Sometimes i  do  listen to the sounds of music high  Very very high      i have a voice  device  and amplifiers  with  a high quality        and  thats  loud  voice annoyed   My parents   and then  say   folks  turns off      and i dont       and then my father say  he will go out the home      my  mother once   told me  that thiere freinds asked her  whats that  in your home i also   lestining  to music and     by putting headset on.           i wish  if  i can  lestining to music  with very high  voice   in peace with out annoyed   anyone 

12:26 PM Nov 08 2010 |

koxa

koxa

Ukraine

There is always a problem when I want to listen some of my favourite music because I like listening loud music and it's not appropriate for the people who surround me))..it's family, neighbours and people who just walk through my living area)....but sometimes I try to reduce this noise by putting headset on.      

11:52 AM Nov 08 2010 |

green_lea

Viet Nam

I like pop, balad and country songs, esp. sth that lyrical and inspirational, these days, i've gotten into classical music, cuz they're so relaxing and romantic. My bro's crazy for k-pop, mom only love oldies and some of folk; my sis just listen to childen songs while dad's not interested in them all. So whenever we wanted get on each other's nerve, we played our own favourite songs as loud as possible. It seemed to make the situation worse, but i found it really funny Laughing. However, mom has never griped about my music cuz i just listen alone, not to bother any other. 

10:30 AM Nov 08 2010 |

gorci

gorci

Serbia and Montenegro

When we go for a trip, my kids and I listen music, and we dont have problems with kind of music becouse we like everything what is good, popular..

We always make fun, singing and laughing.

10:27 AM Nov 08 2010 |

ramtinariana

hi,

my mom do not like music but my father love music!!

i don`t know how they can go to trip ? 

10:24 AM Nov 08 2010 |

mitty0967

mitty0967

United Kingdom

Nowadays, it's easy to purchase music and listen it anytime, anywhere. I like several types of music. The selection depends on my mood.

08:05 AM Nov 08 2010 |

Likes (8):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast