Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Cee Lo Green
Cee Lo Green

Learn new phrasal verbs about dating.

Date: Jan 03 2011

Themes: Music, Romance

Grammar: Phrasal Verbs

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Every once in a while, a new song comes out that perfectly captures a certain feeling or experience, making it hit home for a lot of people. Cee Lo Green’s song “Forget You” (the actual title is a little more explicit than that) is one of those songs.

“Forget You” is a break-up song. The lyrics are about getting over a girl who wanted to be with a richer guy. But while some break-up songs sound whiny or depressing, the mood of “Forget You” is upbeat. Find out what Devan and Jeff think about Cee Lo’s hit.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Devan

Devan

Jeff

Jeff

Devan:  After that Gnarls Barkley song came out, the “Crazy,” and it was everywhere, I kinda thought they were gonna be one hit wonders, those guys, up until recently when the guy Cee Lo Green from the group released his solo album. Seems like he’s blowing up all over again.

Jeff:  Oh Cee Lo’s blowin’ up alright. Yeah, he’s got that…what is it? “Forget You.” That’s been all over the place.

Devan:  Oh yeah, it’s everywhere, and everyone I know just loves that song ‘cause they say that it helps them to get over their broken hearts and move on from their relationship.

Jeff:  Well he says that it’s not autobiographical, but…

Devan:  It sounds like it’s coming from experience.

Jeff:  Yeah. Who hasn’t been through that experience? Have you ever had to, you know, get over somebody and move on?

Devan:  Oh yeah. And I’ve definitely used music to help me get over people. Have you?

Jeff:  Oh big time. Sometimes the music’s a little too painful, though. It reminds you too much of that particular person. But then something else steps in, like maybe this Cee Lo song.

Devan:  Yeah, it’s definitely a good like power anthem to be like, “Forget you, I’m not hung up on you anymore!”

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Phrasal Verbs" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Devan and Jeff have both been hearing Cee Lo Green’s new song “Forget You” a lot. It’s a huge hit that a lot of people find to be the perfect song to help them get over a broken heart.

Before “Forget You,” Cee Lo was best known for a song he recorded with Gnarls Barkley, “Crazy.” Until he came out with “Forget You,” Devan thought he might be a one-hit wonder.

Devan has often used music to help her get over a broken heart. But Jeff thinks that some songs make you feel even worse when you’re sad about a break up, because they make you think about your ex-boyfriend or girlfriend.

Do you listen to music to help you get over a break up? What are some other good break-up songs?

Comments

FenoaSuper Member!

Argentina

It looks funny that you at Ebaby should paraphrase STEP IN as “partcipate”, or rather the whole sentence by Jeff sounds somehow awkward.

03:18 AM Jul 07 2017 |

emma_cookie

China

Got to know Cee lo from THE VOICE

02:05 AM Aug 16 2014 |

sara1234b

sara1234b

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Hey guys, u all have interesting ideas.

I’d love sad songs not because of helping me get over, on the contrary it makes me keep thinking back on those days and cry, i like sad songs , because they express feelings in soft and sympathetice ways i always wonder how beautiful that singer or song attracts gently  our hidden feelings that we ve been trying to forget and then find ourselves sinking deeply in memories.

Funny, isnt it ? :))

03:37 PM Aug 15 2014 |

vik32

vik32

India

yes i listen to sad songs whenever i have a break up..but listening to sad songs make you more sad and you keep on thinking about that person while listeing to sad songs…i guess best way to get over smbdy is to go for shopping or take a long vacation. nd enjoy ur life to the fullest.. As being sad not gonna get smbdy closer to you.

09:03 AM Aug 15 2014 |

1 person likes this

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

Humm I guess it depends…I think there is some musics make you feel worse ‘cause makes you remind good moment with determined people or situation…I don’t know to what extent this is good…I got many musics in my collect that remind me much good and sad moments with someone,so when I listen to some musics I feel sad but sometimes it brings me good memoies :)

10:35 AM Oct 31 2011 |

1 person likes this

mazincomm

Sudan

singer is singing and everyone hear the song according to his personal experience

08:45 PM Jan 05 2011 |

Romio79

Romio79

Russian Federation

I know at least one of that kind. 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover by Paul Simon.

03:06 PM Jan 04 2011 |

andrespretty2

Colombia

hahahaah,I was listening this song, and it's cool. Here in Colombia exists a kind of music called "musica popular" but all these songs, you often listen them when you're drunk, and they do you feel sadder, I avoid these songs and i listen happy music for feeling great. :)

06:14 PM Jan 03 2011 |

1 person likes this

foz12

foz12

Saudi Arabia

I use to hear a song called it's not goodbye remind me of my old friends

05:21 PM Jan 03 2011 |

Otonashi Saya

Saudi Arabia

Oh God it's been ages .. Cry but I'm back again

you always have such great lessons 

Thanks a lot Smile

04:21 PM Jan 03 2011 |

reiny kwan

reiny kwan

Indonesia

yes, the day you went away by m2m is my fav.song..

08:43 AM Jan 03 2011 |

wishtolearn

El Salvador

i like this lesson, actually i enjoy every lesson i read in here!!

03:41 AM Jan 03 2011 |

samy.girl

samy.girl

Brazil

Yeah it´s a fantastic song!

01:21 AM Jan 03 2011 |

1 person likes this

Likes (8):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo