Social_nav_masthead_logged_in
Spoken English Course Day 12

Spoken English Course Day 12

Date: Mar 08 2011

Topic: Speaking

Author: andylu2

Lesson

Hi guys,

Today I want to talk about a simple phrase to express an idea that I'm sure we've all experienced in our lives.  

It's called "being on the same page" with someone.

To help you remember it, imagine two people are reading the same book.  If they are reading different pages than they will be thinking about totally different things.  

If two people are "on the same page" it means that they are having good communication and are thinking and wanting the same things.  We often use this phrase for relationships and with business partners.

In a relationship, a guy could be talking with his friends and say,

I love my girlfriend but it seems like we're not really on the same page.  I don't know what to do.  I like to travel and she likes to shop.

In a business someone could say,

My business partner and I really aren't on the same page.  I think we should save our profits and he wants to spend all of the money on advertising.  

Check out all my daily lessons starting on day 1.

For more cool English lessons, check out: Online English Lessons

Thanks for all your "likes" and comments guys.  I'll do my best to respond to any questions.

Comments

kevin12345679

China

Hi andy,

Thanks for your kindly advice!

Of course, I will be on same page with you from now on!

03:36 PM Mar 09 2011 |

lynn629

lynn629

China

hi andy,

thanks for ur further explanation, i got it. 

09:54 AM Mar 09 2011 |

murad ali

murad ali

Yemen

in  work my boss and me are always in the same  page 

06:37 AM Mar 09 2011 |

Jungmi

Jungmi

South Korea

I definitely know what it feels like to be on a different page with someone else.  It seems that at my work, everyone is on a different page.  I think that's why we are thinking of getting a new CEO.

03:15 AM Mar 09 2011 |

zaynura

United States

hi guys I want to learn english pls help me )

02:34 AM Mar 09 2011 |

alpha girl

alpha girl

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Hi Andy,

Your lessons are so useful for me. thank you again.

05:46 PM Mar 08 2011 |

andylu2

andylu2

Canada

Hey Kevin, 

Thanks for the reply.  In my personal opinion, I would advise trying to only learn phrases taught by native speakers.  All the translation software or g whatever seems to come up with really strange translations and can kind of waste your study time and lead you in the wrong direction.  It's just my opinion based on years of experience.  That's why I made the course I linked to above for online spoken English.  I hope it helps you.  Your writing seems good and I'm sure you would really benefit from it.  Check it out if you have some time.

05:30 PM Mar 08 2011 |

kevin12345679

China

Hi Andlu,

Thanks very much for your quick reply!

I am living in Shenzhen city in Guangdong province! I'm glad to hear you''re living in Shanghai now!

I get the phrase " scratch line" from Powerword, in chinese, it means the beginning line of running game!

04:05 PM Mar 08 2011 |

andylu2

andylu2

Canada

Hi Kevin,

Where are you living in China by the way?  I am living in Shanghai.

Anyway, what is "scratch line?"  I've never heard that term actually.

Thanks 

03:24 PM Mar 08 2011 |

kevin12345679

China

It's really helpful in our actual lives!

A question, can i understand this phrase as that: 2 person are in same level or scratch line?

03:21 PM Mar 08 2011 |

andylu2

andylu2

Canada

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for your question because it's a good one.  I want to help make this as clear as possible.  I think it is more similar to "agreeing with each others ideas and goals" or "seeing the world in the same way".

01:25 PM Mar 08 2011 |

lynn629

lynn629

China

when i see this phrase before having a look at ur explanation, i guess it means 2 people in the same situation or condition, can i understand it like this?

Thanks  andy. 

11:54 AM Mar 08 2011 |

Azeri_LADY

Azeri_LADY

Azerbaijan

Really helpfull..thaank you again!

11:03 AM Mar 08 2011 |

andylu2

andylu2

Canada

Hi Grace,

How do you feel you are different from others?  Do you feel like this at work or just in general?

10:46 AM Mar 08 2011 |

andylu2

andylu2

Canada

Hey Criz,

I think it's great to do what you are doing.  Just keep learning over and over and it will really help you remember.  It's amazing how most people study a lot of stuff but forget the next day.

10:45 AM Mar 08 2011 |

GraceLee

China

Sometimes,I have the same feels, what I just think are different from others.SO,I feel this really hard for me.

10:43 AM Mar 08 2011 |

Likes (8):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast