Cheap Dates
简体
Cheap Dates
廉价约会

Second Conditional

Date: Nov 01 2011

Grammar: Second Conditional

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

When it comes to love, you shouldn’t cut corners. But that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a cheap date every once in a while. Going out to fancy dinners or attending special events like a play or the symphony can be a lot of fun. But if you want to save money and set a more relaxed mood, a picnic on the beach or a walk in the park can be just as romantic…and a lot less costly. Hear Amy and Dale chat about cheap dates.

当开始坠入爱河时,你不应该吝啬。但这并不意味着你不能时不时享受一下便宜的约会。出去吃一顿丰盛的大餐或观看一场演出或音乐会可能很有趣。但如果你想省钱并更加放松心情,沙滩野餐或公园漫步可能一样浪漫……并且省很多钱。听听艾米和戴尔谈论廉价约会。

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Dale

Dale

Amy

Amy

Dale:  Do you like going on a cheap date, or do you like going to the fancy restaurant type places?

Amy:  Well, I like pretty much any kind of date, but I think both have their time and place.

Dale:  Like what about the first date?

Amy:  Hmm. Well, usually on the first date, that’s tough because on the one hand you want to impress your date, so you want to take her to a nice restaurant. But on the other hand, something a little more casual can be better. I mean, you don’t want to cut corners, but something like a picnic or going for happy hour somewhere can be really fun and relaxed.

Dale:  There are some nice restaurants these days that have happy hour and they’re actually low cost, but it’s the time frame, like at 3 to 6.

Amy:  Well, my problem is if I go out to happy hour on a date, it’s supposed to save money, but then you always end up having a couple drinks and deciding to just go out to dinner afterwards or go to a movie or something. So it can end up costing more.

Dale:  Would you be annoyed if somebody decided to take you on the cheapest date possible on the very first date?

Amy:  I would be a little annoyed, I’m not gonna lie.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Second Conditional" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Dale asks Amy if she likes cheap dates. Amy says that she likes going to nice restaurants, but she also enjoys dates that are less expensive and more relaxed. For a first date, she thinks it’s important for the guy to do something special to impress his date. But if he does something too fancy, it might not be comfortable.

Amy likes going out to happy hour for a cheap date. Dale agrees that you can get good food at a low price at happy hour, but he wishes more restaurants had a later happy hour. Amy admits that when she goes out for happy hour, she often ends up doing something else afterward, so it ends up being an even more expensive date.

Even though Amy enjoys cheap dates as well as expensive dates, she says she would be annoyed if a guy took her on a really cheap date for their first date.

Do you like expensive dates or cheap dates? What are some examples of fun cheap dates?

Comments

Mari-yam

Mari-yam

Mali

Cheap or expensive! what is important is to have good memories and fun Smile

03:03 PM Oct 24 2012 |

Mari-yam

Mari-yam

Mali

with my ex boyfriend, we went once on a date accompany by my little sister! we went to the cinema, on the way back, the car just stopped on the road, while trying to repare it, the cops came and asked for our identity card. My little syster didn’t have hers, so they took her to the commisariat and during that time, mu mom keeps calling to ask if everything was okay (like she has a 6th senses lol)

I didn’t know how to tell her that one of her daughter has been take by the cops, i wanted to go with my syster when the cops took her but my ex boyfriend panicked and said “are you crazy ? how can i take you back home with only you ? it’s hard enough to tell your mom about one daughter . What will happen if i go back alone and tell her that her 2 daughters got taken by the cops ? ” 

We took a taxi , went to find my syster and went back home together (he was out of money so i paid for the taxi)

we always had that kind of “no-luck” on all our dates . hahahahaaa it was funny i think about it  ^^!

03:01 PM Oct 24 2012 |

michael_tom6677@yahoo.com

Egypt

geat idea

02:19 PM Nov 11 2011 |

Christianny

Brazil

I’m a simple person,

I think i’d be a little uncomfortable in a expensive place. Beyond it, in my opinion simple place such as park, cinema, beach is the better choose for first date

01:21 PM Nov 07 2011 |

Majid Zarif

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

the most noticible goal of dating is introducing each other personality.and if it’s held in cheap way ,it shows their board atteduded.

09:15 AM Nov 06 2011 |

emai

emai

Philippines

of course its nice to have a date on an expensive place…. park is one examples of fun cheap dates.

04:33 AM Nov 06 2011 |

emai

emai

Philippines

of course its nice to have a date on an expensive place…. park is one examples of fun cheap dates.

04:31 AM Nov 06 2011 |

meere

meere

Oman

a bout me i like cheep days that are cool and romantic the same time :)

thanx

05:23 PM Nov 05 2011 |

RhySky

RhySky

Indonesia

cheap or expensive is not a measure, it all looks relatively ..
I think it Laughing

08:46 AM Nov 04 2011 |

kukuka

kukuka

Ukraine

I like costly dates so long as I don’t have to pay the bills. As for cheap dates I guess strolling in the park or sunbathing on a beach together would be pretty nice even though it won’t cost you a anything.

01:53 PM Nov 03 2011 |

Maria del Alba

Spain

It doesnt matter to me if it is a expensive or cheap date because the important thing is the person who are you dating.

Some examples of fun cheap dates could be going to the swimming – pool, for a walk in the forest, to play billar…

10:03 AM Nov 03 2011 |

1 person likes this

carloscab

Mexico

hi

01:24 AM Nov 03 2011 |

Sojin

Sojin

United States

I believe it is all the matter of right places and right timing. The wise and proper balances between fancy dates and cheap ones would be ideal. However, I agree with Amy’s point of view that a really cheap date on the very first date would annoy most of girls.  

03:32 AM Nov 02 2011 |

MUHAMMAD92

MUHAMMAD92

Saudi Arabia

I LIKE EXPENSIVE DATES.

07:55 PM Nov 01 2011 |

IsaaBelaxD

IsaaBelaxD

Brazil

I don’t think it’s nice spend more money you really can just to impress the first time. Even that I don’t also like having a date in some nice restaurant but at the time it’s less expensive… I think the guy can be creative and think about some cheap but special date to the first time… even to show that he really wants make that time special and unforgettable!

07:44 PM Nov 01 2011 |

1 person likes this

alhgag

alhgag

Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

i think the first event deserves to spend money cheap or expensive whatever this the most essential in all of events especially courtship

07:01 PM Nov 01 2011 |

refaah

refaah

Pakistan

FIRST IMPRESSION IS THE LAST IMPRESSION.*

06:00 PM Nov 01 2011 |

refaah

refaah

Pakistan

well, dates are wonderful and it should be like a beautiful / unforgettable memory..

going to cheap dates sometimes is really fun , it feels like home.

but, the FIRST DATE ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, NO WAY. guys , never do that. 

it will make you look odd. it will obviously show that how much important she is for you….!!!  then do you wanna ..??? NO

make the first date , the best you can. other times its ok.

FIRST IMPRESSION IS THE LEAST IMPRESSION.

05:59 PM Nov 01 2011 |

miray orabi

Lebanon

forward

as we remember we didnt like mention an difficults time

for me i prefer to remembering all thing in my life if this events was including happiness or sadness i totally agree with this address very nice topic

i dont know how can i tell my next sons about my life about my cheap dates but i am sure i will say the truth without lire and of the exaggeration

i know there are a lot people prefer luxury life more than poverty life

we should appreciate all our moments if we respect our selves

dont ashmed dont lie dont hidden the truth if you want to be happy

my advice to every one i am not preacher but i am a normal man

our life so faster more than any thing 

10:08 AM Nov 01 2011 | 

05:09 PM Nov 01 2011 |

i love life

Palestinian Territory, Occupied

in the past i really was a poor man but day after day all thing change to forward

as we remember we didnt like mention an difficults time

for me i prefer to remembering all thing in my life if this events was including happiness or sadness i totally agree with this address very nice topic

i dont know how can i tell my next sons about my life about my cheap dates but i am sure i will say the truth without lire and of the exaggeration

i know there are a lot people prefer luxury life more than poverty life

we should appreciate all our moments if we respect our selves

dont ashmed dont lie dont hidden the truth if you want to be happy

my advice to every one i am not preacher but i am a normal man

our life so faster more than any thing

05:08 PM Nov 01 2011 |

Likes (22):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace