简体
Trendy Pets
时髦宠物

Learn Modal Verbs

Date: Mar 19 2012

Themes: Fashion, Pets

Grammar: Modal Verbs

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Ever since Paris Hilton was spotted with her pet chihuahua, Tinkerbell, tiny dogs have been a a trendy accessory. Some women like to carry them around and show them off like they would a designer handbag. But chihuahuas aren’t the only trendy pet. Unusual animals like goats, pot-bellied pigs, and ferrets are also surprisingly popular these days, thanks in part to celebrities. George Clooney, Victoria and David Beckham, and Harry Potter star Rupert Grint are all proud pig parents! Hear Mason and Amy talk about trendy pets.

自从帕里斯·希尔顿 (Paris Hilton) 怀抱她的名叫小叮当 (Tinkerbell) 的吉娃娃宠物狗亮相后,这种小型犬就成为宠物流行风尚。一些女士喜欢将它们带在身边,就像一款名牌手袋一样炫耀。但是,吉娃娃不是唯一的时髦宠物。最近,一些不寻常的动物,如山羊、大肚猪和雪貂也竟然都广受欢迎,这在一定程度上得益于明星效应。乔治·克鲁尼 (George Clooney)、维多利亚 (Victoria) 和大卫·贝克汉姆 (David Beckham) 以及《哈利·波特》影星鲁伯特·格林特 (Rupert Grint) 就都是宠物猪的主人!听听梅森和艾米谈论时髦宠物。

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Mason

Mason

Amy

Amy

Mason:  I feel like sometimes people just buy animals for show, you know what I mean? Like I saw a guy walking around recently with a giant snake. And like, you didn’t really want that snake. You just wanted to be the guy who walked around with a snake.

Amy:  Right. I agree. And there are certain things that I want from a pet. I want it to cuddle me. I want it to look at me lovingly.

Mason:  Right.

Amy:  And I want it to do silly and adorable things.

Mason:  Right.

Amy:  And I’m not really sure why else you would want a pet. And I certainly don’t know why you would want things that definitely don’t do any of those things, like a goat. What is a goat gonna do but eat your trash?

Mason:  That could be an OK thing.

Amy:  I guess so. But I saw a picture the other day of a minor celebrity out with her family walking their pet goat. And I think that just has to be a trend, you know? That’s just a trendy pet. I mean, there’s no reason for a rich celebrity to have a goat.

Mason:  So is a goat…that’s like the current “it” pet? Is that right?

Amy:  Well I’ve seen a number of goats actually around my neighborhood. But I don’t know, are little annoying dogs still trendy? Like chihuahuas?

Mason:  Yes. And not only are they trendy, but you need to get special dog strollers for them, because these dogs are just too precious to walk.

Amy:  See, that brings up something else, which is I think a pet should always still be an animal. You shouldn’t try to turn a pet into your little baby.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Modal Verbs" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Mason thinks a lot of people have trendy pets that are just for show. He mentions someone he saw with a snake around his neck. Amy thinks pets should be cuddly and cute. She agrees that a snake is a strange choice for a pet.

Goats are another trendy pet, according to Amy. She saw a picture of a celebrity walking with her pet goat and has also noticed several people in her neighborhood with pet goats.

Small dogs, like chihuahas, are also trendy. Mason doesn’t like to see people pushing their small dogs in strollers. Amy agrees that a pet should be treated like an animal, not a human baby.

What pets are trendy in your country? Do you know anyone with a trendy pet? What do you think a pet should do or be used for?

Comments

sara1998

sara1998

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

i do love pets…specially dog.they are loyal,adorable and affectionate :)

also i think people shouldn’t kill animals for food.people should respect to animals’ rights and bull fighting is such a inhumane hobby and it should be banned!

12:19 PM Dec 25 2013 |

ErinDong

ErinDong

United States

i have never seen anyone with a trendy pet! i think having a trendy pet is just a waste of money. just buying a pet for showoff?????? that is ridiculus! i think pets are friends. you should play with them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!if they are like a fish or turtle, then have fun watching them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10:36 PM Jun 23 2012 |

zekra cutegirl

Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

Laughing

12:12 AM Mar 21 2012 |

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

Your answer is more mysterious than the most mysterious forest on Eearth.

I got a very skilful answer. Thanks :)

04:32 PM Mar 20 2012 |

rever1988

Palestinian Territory, Occupied

cat and flower

03:45 PM Mar 20 2012 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Nature rocks!!! because it’s virture

03:43 PM Mar 20 2012 |

1 person likes this

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

Lesya, it’s from someone I know personally he had dreamed of  a similar waterfall after he had been in  a mysterious forest. Tongue out

”  You can live without pets, sometimes
   You can live without a family
   You can live without friends
   But you can not live without natureRyo

01:29 PM Mar 20 2012 |

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

Somebody, prompt me please who is an author of these splendid words:  “  a stairway to heaven ! a waterfall so pretty , snuggled by  some ecstatic flowers of incomparable beauty bowing in awe to its flowing water, very lucid and peaceful, I will never dream of something more satisfying than this,not in this life at least”???

12:07 PM Mar 20 2012 |

Gobsmacker

Germany

Hmmm, what are trendy pets in my country? Good question. Well, mainly it’s dogs. You can never go wrong with dogs. They are cute, active animals that need your attention and they keep you company. They are also the most common pets. Trendy dogs for women are for example poodles, chiuauahs (Sorry, couldn’t be bothered to look the correct spelling up :)) and pugs. In general the kind of ‘toy’ breeds of dogs which are often used as accesories which I do not at all approve of. I wouldn’t use the word trendy when describing the dogs popular with men here, however the ‘cool’ dogs for men would be rottweilers or english setters.

I personally don’t consider dogs as the ‘trendy’pets. For me those would be gerbils, budgies, turtles or other slightly more exotic and rare pets.

I think a pet should keep you company and comfort you in its own way. I don’t think pets should be used as accesories or toys. Only bought to show off. You should always care for your pet and try and give it the best home possible. I don’t think pets should be used for work either although I will make an exeption for police dogs and guide dogs because one has to admit that they are of great help.

09:58 PM Mar 19 2012 |

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

Ryo, you’re perfectly right. We always overlook plants; sometimes we forget they too are living creatures. They need to be watered and maintained properly. They may not be as interactive as other pets, but their gentle aroma and elegance are as enjoyable. They celebrate and mourn with us; they say words we cannot say.

Looking at your picture

”  a stairway to heaven ! a waterfall so pretty , snuggled by  some ecstatic flowers of incomparable beauty bowing in awe to its flowing water, very lucid and peaceful, I will never dream of something more satisfying than this,not in this life at least”

08:21 PM Mar 19 2012 |

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

4ever

you can get a fish ;they’re not very demanding. They’re quiet and they help relax the mind after long hours of studying, perfect pets for students or persons who share bunker beds in a tiny room : )

07:26 PM Mar 19 2012 |

4EVER

4EVER

United Arab Emirates

it’s a crazy idea to have a snake and you deal with as a pet..:D

even though i like pet but i don’t have one…it is need much of care and time and i’m busy with my study..:(

07:14 PM Mar 19 2012 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Ditto! Many expressions as well - I liked “tip-toe behind a tree” and “a dog whisperer” - got to address Google.

07:12 PM Mar 19 2012 |

1 person likes this

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

:) alright, nice little chat we had here, and I learned so much from you.

I heard about it,  she was very unlucky,

07:10 PM Mar 19 2012 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Remember this gruesome story?

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010-02-24/news/27057443_1_killer-whale-naomi-rose-orca 

And that was a trained whale! What can be said about the wild one?

Ok, gotta leave now. Nice talking to you! Have a nice day/evening!

07:05 PM Mar 19 2012 |

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

but they look so squeaky and cuddly, : )

Sometimes they maul humans as well. they’re very unpredictable

06:59 PM Mar 19 2012 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

They’re the smartest mammals gone through a long long evolution to survive. You never know what’s in their mind. One of the most dangereous mammals that is difficult to outsmart.

06:53 PM Mar 19 2012 |

1 person likes this

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

I dreamed of bodysurfing an Orca once, :)

06:50 PM Mar 19 2012 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Ok, Snoopyboy3 I don’t know, orcas play with a seal before eating it. If a seal pretended dead maybe he stood a chance… though I don’t know.

06:47 PM Mar 19 2012 |

1 person likes this

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

Ok, Ola333 I just read about your encounter with lady beetle playing dead. I’ve had a similar experience with one, also with a snake.  I think some predators like it when their games put up a fight, they don’t like dead meat or quitters. Something about killing a feisty prey stokes up their appetite I guess. : )

06:41 PM Mar 19 2012 |

1 person likes this

Likes (26):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: