Mobile English with Urban Airship CEO Scott Kveton

简体
Mobile English with Urban Airship CEO Scott Kveton English, baby! Video Lesson
Urban Airship 首席执行官斯科特·克维顿教移动英语

Date: Jun 12 2012

Themes: Tech, Work

Grammar: Modal Verbs

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

The world is going mobile. Our phones are capable of doing so many things, and there are more apps made every day. Even though your phone is always with you, it can be easy to miss important information.

Urban Airship helps your phone communicate with you better. They make push notifications which let your apps get your attention more easily. They’ve helped companies like ESPN, Intel and Oracle send more than 10 billion messages to more than 100 million mobile devices. The company was recently named “Best Emerging Mobile Marketing & Advertising Solution” by CTIA, an international organization for the wireless industry.

As CEO, Scott Kveton is captain of the Urban Airship. We met with him at his office to learn about mobile apps and the English vocabulary that surrounds them.

世界正在不断移动。我们的手机能够做很多事情,每天都有大量应用程序问世。即便你手机从不离身,也可能会轻易错过重要信息。

Urban Airship 帮助你更好地与手机进行通信。他们推出“推送通知”功能,让你更易于注意到应用程序。他们已帮助诸如 ESPN、Intel 和 Oracle 的公司向 1 亿多部移动设备发送 100 多亿条信息。最近,该公司被国际无线行业组织 CTIA 命名为“最佳新兴移动营销和广告解决方案”(“Best Emerging Mobile Marketing & Advertising Solution”) 供应商。

作为首席执行官,斯科特·克维顿是 Urban Airship 的一把手。我们在他的办公室见到了他,向他了解移动应用程序,并学习了相关英语词汇。

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Jason

Jason

Scott

Scott

Jason:  This is business English on English, baby! I am Jason here with Scott Kveton, CEO of Urban Airship. Can you tell us a bit about what your company does?

Scott:  Sure thing. Urban Airship provides a platform for mobile app developers to help with things like push notifications, in-app purchase and subscriptions.

Jason:  What is a mobile application?

Scott:  A mobile application is something that a user can download and put on their phone. It can do any number of different things, whether it’s for your sports scores, reading news, listening to music…It takes advantage of things like maybe the accelerometer, the GPS, things that are native on the device itself.

Jason:  What are push notifications?

Scott:  A push notification for a smart phone is basically…It looks a lot like an SMS message. It looks like a text message. The big difference is that it’s actually sent over the data network. So it works on any connected device. It could be a tablet. It could be a smart phone. It could be a computer. Anything that’s connected to the Internet, we can send a push notification to. The notifications themselves are tiny, tiny messages and send just a little bit of information straight to the device. We’re now starting to weave in things like location and context because the device knows where you are. It knows who you are. It knows what you like. So if you can actually then push the right message to the right user at the right time, it can be really, really effective.

Jason:  What is monetizing?

Scott:  Monetizing, or figuring out how you make money on these devices, is pretty tricky. We’ve actually built some tools that help developers make money through in-app purchase. So you might be inside of an app and want to buy a weapon for a game, or you might want to buy some new content. You might want to buy some music. You can actually buy that inside of the application itself and then it charges straight to your credit card you already have set up on the phone and through the phone. The other thing you can do is subscriptions. And then of course this ties into push notifications because it will send you a push notification saying, “Hey, the latest issue of the magazine you already have subscribed to is now available for download.”

Jason:  Well, thanks so much for talking with us. Really interesting stuff.

Scott:  Cool!

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Modal Verbs" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Mobile applications help us do all sorts of things. Scott Kveton’s company, Urban Airship, enables push notifications that send you small messages over the data network on your smart phone or tablet.

App developers sometimes have a hard time monetizing their products, or make money on their mobile apps. Urban Airship helps them with ways for customers to buy things using the app or subscribe to content.

Do you have a smart phone or a tablet? What are your favorite apps?

Comments

JohnyBulson

United Kingdom

Really impressive topics has been discussed at this platform which is extremely interesting plus useful for me. Because my concentration build up like these subjects which can deliver me some stunning knowledge. Frequently I recommend collecting helpful information through any android application development company in London because I like receiving mobile app details which are possible to use that way. It is my point of view and sometime change way of acquiring data if article is great as your otherwise only use that way. 

09:28 PM Sep 20 2017 |

ErinDong

ErinDong

United States

i also like angry birds

08:54 PM Jun 19 2012 |

ErinDong

ErinDong

United States

i have an iphone. i like to play tofu 2.

08:53 PM Jun 19 2012 |

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

kukuka, yes of course :P How did you guess?Laughing 

12:01 PM Jun 15 2012 |

kukuka

kukuka

Ukraine

kotlesya, are you selling us your cell phone? Laughing

11:57 AM Jun 15 2012 |

1 person likes this

kukuka

kukuka

Ukraine

angry birds

11:53 AM Jun 15 2012 |

1 person likes this

zeroel

Viet Nam

I want to improve my English skill by chatting or conversation using English. But my English Grammar is not good.

So, does anyone can help me?

My skype is: namanh1269, I hope we can feel free to chat together…

01:32 AM Jun 14 2012 |

zeroel

Viet Nam

Hi everyone,

I am new member of Englishbaby. I hope, I can study English like a baby.

So, please help me….

01:24 AM Jun 14 2012 |

Abood mansor1987

Saudi Arabia

Good learn

12:12 AM Jun 14 2012 |

ana.p94231

ana.p94231

India

I don’t have smart phone or tablet but my hubby has his iPhone and I use it more than him. My favorite app is GPS because I always forget routes and therefore that is very useful app for me I completely depend on it when I go out. There are some other apps also which I like such as game and social networking apps.    

10:28 PM Jun 13 2012 |

1 person likes this

aspire1

Germany

The utilities on my mobile device are unfortunately not extensible, but my next smart phone will be “app-capable” for sure.

I´d only have my favorite apps on my device, because I think it´s important in some way to keep them organized.

04:31 PM Jun 13 2012 |

julito

julito

Argentina

Hey guys, i have a cell phone  with internet and so , but i don´t  use any of these,   hello and bye ,thats all ,I AM COMPLETED out of the league, jejejeje.

08:08 PM Jun 12 2012 |

1 person likes this

Faathimaa

Faathimaa

Maldives

I have a smart phone and it’s very comfortable.

03:00 PM Jun 12 2012 |

sanaa2000

sanaa2000

Egypt

I dont have asmart mobile or tablet.I use the mobile to make calls ,send & recieve massages only.

02:14 PM Jun 12 2012 |

samirah

samirah

Saudi Arabia

honestly,iam not into  smart phone neither  tablet pc. I dont know why.

01:49 PM Jun 12 2012 |

wisa@technodrive.co.th

Thailand

My favorite is face facebook.com

12:20 PM Jun 12 2012 |

princessanika

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

i use mobile  sooooooo much and i know it’s very bad.Undecided

11:21 AM Jun 12 2012 |

1 person likes this

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

I’m not an exception of the rules. I have got a smart phone as all people have :)

I’m content about my smart phone so much. It has everything I need. The quality of sound ( especially in the earphones) is superb!!! The quality of photos is also nice. The operating system Android is easy-to use. :)

I like such apps like OperaMini, GPS, TrackID, OfficeSuite, PlayMarket,Facebook,the weather channel, Google Maps, YouTube, Lantern.

I’m not a fan of games in mobile phone so I have no interest in them to download.Smile

08:00 AM Jun 12 2012 |

dearpesar

dearpesar

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

my favorite apps are urban dictionary and merriam web master and wikidroidCool

02:19 AM Jun 12 2012 |

Likes (12):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace