Movie Recommendations
简体
Movie Recommendations
电影推荐

Learn English with this movies English lesson

Date: Dec 05 2012

Grammar: Definite & Indefinite Articles

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Between the theater, videos and DVDs, and online services like Netflix, there are so many movies out there. How can you decide which are worth checking out? Sure, there’s advertising, but sometimes the trailer or commercial sets up false expectations.

So is it best to just rely on reviews? Or on word of mouth? Or do even recommendations from friends have their pitfalls? In today’s English lesson about movie English, hear what Jason and Mason think.

在影院、视频、DVD 和诸如 Netflix 的在线服务中,有如此多的电影可供欣赏。你如何确定哪些电影值得一看呢?当然,可以观看影片的广告宣传,但有时预告片或商业广告会让我们产生错误的预期。

所以,最好的方法是看影评吗?还是凭口碑?或者从已上当的朋友那里获得推荐信息?在今天有关电影英文的英语课上,听听詹森和梅森的想法。

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Jason

Jason

Mason

Mason

Jason:  I like seeing movies, but I just don’t see all that many, because sometimes I find it hard to know what’s good.

Mason:  I’d say until somebody goes and you get their recommendation, it’s pretty hard to actually know if it’s going to be good. Because the previews, they’ve got it down to a science. Like, I’m gonna make the preview that gets the guys who like action-y, sports stuff, and I’m gonna make the preview for people who like, you know, intellectual dramas. And it’s the same movie, but they can show it both ways.

Jason:  That’s true, I’ve seen people re-cut trailers of movies, like re-cut a comedy to make it look like a drama.

Mason:  If too many people say a movie’s awesome, I’m probably going to hate it, just on principle.

Jason:  Right.

Mason:  ‘Cause they’ll set my expectation way too high, and I’ll go and I’ll be like, “Oh, it wasn’t really as good as everyone said.”

Jason:  Yeah. Sometimes word of mouth leads me astray, you know? The one I thought of now, it’s The Number 23. It’s a movie with Jim Carrey that everyone hated. But I saw it for some reason anyway, and I liked it a lot. So if I had listened to those people, I would have missed out.

Mason:  Huh. I remember that. I never saw it. But I’d give it a shot. On your recommendation, Jason, I’d give it a shot.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Definite & Indefinite Articles" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Jason tells Mason that he likes seeing movies, but has difficulty knowing which movies will be good. Mason agrees. He likes getting a recommendation from a friend, because movie previews or trailers can be misleading.

However, there are problems with getting recommendations, too. Mason says that if too many people tell him that a movie’s great, then he has to rebel against popular opinion. Jason says that the opposite’s true, too; if he listened to all the people who said a movie was bad, he might have missed out on a movie he actually liked, such as The Number 23.

Mason’s glad to know that Jason liked this movie. Maybe he’ll see it now, on Jason’s recommendation.

How do you decide which movies to see? Whose movie recommendations do you trust? Are you more or less likely to like a movie if everyone else says it’s good or bad?

Comments

raisacorrea

Brazil

first of all, I look at the cover film and if I like it I see the trailer or read the history about. but I never  listen friend’s recommendantions, because I have my particularities with it.

09:02 PM Dec 10 2012 |

I M P E R I V M

United States

Some cool monies that have not been afected by globalization and that I recommend are:

the ilutionist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMqpU7lUlLg

the fountain http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAuxryJ6pv8

06:30 AM Dec 10 2012 |

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

knuschu when I heard you talking about “Perfume: The Story of a Murderer” I could not miss my comment about it.

It was a movie at first and then a book. ;) This splendid movie encouraged me to read the book then.

I saw this movie two times and I adore it with all my heart. The book is also excellent!!!! 

06:16 AM Dec 07 2012 |

knuschu

knuschu

Germany

Dear kotlesya, a big BUT – say never no ;) Movies can animate to read the appropriate book. I want to be honest – allways ;-) , I am not a bookworm, but great movies like “Doctor Zhivago” or “The Parfume” encouraaged me to read the book. And I have to say, both the movie and the book were great.

05:43 AM Dec 07 2012 |

1 person likes this

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

friendlover  no one movie will never be able to compete with book. Movies will always be deficient after books. When we read book we create our own movie in our imagination. Books are better than movies, much better.  I watch movies that adapted a book because it is a sort of  quick visual entertainment, no more than that. Some movies are nicely  abrupt  and vigorously expressive.

08:48 AM Dec 06 2012 |

korhansaresimge

Turkey

tastes differ,just give it a shot,it’s up to you :)

07:17 PM Dec 05 2012 |

Nabilo

Nabilo

Germany

For me it’s difficult to tell what I am more or less likely to like a movie if everyone else says it’s good or bad, because each time can be different. Sure is that I don’t trust the trailer and I most rely on the recommendations of the people who saw the movie, even though it don’t always suit the reality or at least my view. That’s normal, though, since every one has his point of view. I find also the actors names are an important statement too to see if I am going to see the movie or not, for example when I see Nicolas cage, eddie Murphy or Adam Sandler etc. I’d like to think that the movie is supported to be nice..

julito

julito

Argentina

Bella  ,how nice is your get together saturday night :  the movie part is not as important as catching up with friends, potluck food ,coffee , popcorns and I guess ,ice-cream.  wink…  

03:52 PM Dec 05 2012 |

I M P E R I V M

United States

In my humble opinion All modern movies suck!

I havent watch a good movie like in 5 years! todays movies suck because the directors often use the film as propagada to philosophies that they support and because they want to reach a wider audience.

Shame on you Hollywood for ruining my weekends!!!

03:50 PM Dec 05 2012 |

bellaboo2422

Pakistan

i like to watch movies but i seldom watch any movie due to my busy life and lack of time. i get recommendations from my friends and also from some reviwes from print media and internet. i like different type of movies like horror, comady, romantic depends on my mood. we have a thing here called movie night, its a sleep over at a friend’s house. all the friends stay togather with lots of food and fun and of course with a great movie to watch. its like a party all night and mostly at the sweet saturday nights people love to enjoy and relex with friends and family. we also enjoy popcorns julito even on our house at that time by making them in microwave with different flavours and my favourit cheez and coffe too. so its fun guys even on house rather theatre.

03:41 PM Dec 05 2012 |

friendlover

Turkey

Yes Ola, you are right I know. I also watch some horror series like “Teen Wolf” or “Fringe” and I enjoy them. But I don’t like horrors with too much blood. You know like “Saw” Otherwise, I like mystery.

03:10 PM Dec 05 2012 |

2 people like this

ola33

ola33

Japan

Friendlover, horror movies are not about blood, it’s about the mystery, the unsolved riddle. Blood is not the objective of this movies. Horror movies are also can be different.

02:01 PM Dec 05 2012 |

friendlover

Turkey

I prefer series to movies. To decide to watch a series, I watch the first episode, the plot tels much about whole series. 

Julito, you are right. “The Big Bang Theory” is absolutely hilarios. In general, I watch episodes once, second time doesn’t entertain me. But I watch “The Big Bang Theory” over and over sometimes and everytime it makes me laugh. 

IMDb is very popular and very useful to have informations about TV shows and celebraties. I use this site to decide if a movie is for me. 

Like Irene, I cannot watch cruel horror films. Seeing blood turns my stomach. Igyhhh! 

Lesya, do you really enjoy seeing a movie that adapted a book? I tried this twice and I found those films deficient after the books. 

01:45 PM Dec 05 2012 |

julito

julito

Argentina

I  am seeing too much violence  in the news  , whenever i go to  watch a movie I prefer  a romantic one  or  something that  makes my belly tickle with laughter.    

is off topic but  if you want  to have a good smile , watch on Warner channel ” the big bang theory”, is insanely hilarious.  

12:31 PM Dec 05 2012 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

very courageous, Irene, but still looking for a company ;)

12:18 PM Dec 05 2012 |

Irene Forever

Ukraine

Olya, Kuravlev is one of my favourite actors. And the movie is great too. Still I am out of  room while those scary scenes in the church are shown.:O

I guess, you are a very courageous woman, while I’m not one of the bravest people.:)

12:12 PM Dec 05 2012 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Irene, what I like about Viy, that in that horror movie, the comedy actor Leonid Kuravlev is starring. That’s why when I remember about that movie, no matter how scarry it is, I always laugh.

12:02 PM Dec 05 2012 |

Irene Forever

Ukraine

Olya, I understood you. I also love mysterious plots in movies. Still many people prefer watching very creepy  ones in order to tickle their nerves.:).

I’m not into doing it.

11:49 AM Dec 05 2012 |

2 people like this

ola33

ola33

Japan

Irene, you made my day by reminding me our classic movie Viy. Gogol is my favorite Ukrainian born Russian novelist.

I don’t watch the horror movies with brutal scenes. But there’re some that really a mystery to crack without cruel  scenes. For me Anna Karenina is pshycological cruel story. Reality. I like fantasy. I’m looking at the Beowulf on English Baby right now. Nice animation.

Knuschu, I know why you were dissapointed by the latest James Bond. Me too a little bit.  Dame Judi, M, James Bond’s boss, the head of MI6 left ;)

11:33 AM Dec 05 2012 |

julito

julito

Argentina

Irene, Hollywood  is missing a great actress . :)))

11:28 AM Dec 05 2012 |

Likes (26):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast