Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

get the most out of it

简体
get the most out of it
充分利用

Date: Jun 06 2013

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“I’m trying to get the most out of it, because you never know when it’s going to end.”
- Actor Domhnall Gleeson on his acting career (The Huffington Post)

“我会充分利用我的演艺机会,因为你永远不知道什么时候便会退出荧屏。”
— 演员多姆奈尔·格里森 (Domhnall Gleeson) 谈论他的演艺生涯

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

see something through to its full potential

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Have you ever gone away on a vacation and not wanted it to end? You need to leave for the airport, but you stay out on the beach until the very last minute. Why? You want to get the most out of your vacation.

To get the most out of something is to enjoy it as much as you possibly can. It’s to use an object or experience to its full potential. It’s to appreciate something entirely. To get the most out of a special dinner, you might make sure not to eat too quickly. To get the most out of a visit with a good friend, you might make sure that you spend an entire day together. When you get the most out of an activity, you do it completely.

Actor Domnhall Gleason knows that it’s hard to make it in the acting business. He knows it’s possible that, though he’s popular today, he might not be tomorrow. That’s why he wants to enjoy his career completely right now. He wants to get the most out of it.

Describe a time when you tried to get the most out of an experience.

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“I study very hard, because I really want to get the most out of my college education.”

“Ssh, be quiet! I really want to get the most out of this movie.”

“Let’s stay at the bar until it closes, and really get the most out of our night on the town.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

shaerwan to achieve the greatest output of work, effort, production, etc., out of someone or something.
by shaerwan
Manu4 Enjoy something the most time you can before it's over
by Manu4
goodmahsa try to gain the greatest possible advantage from sth
by goodmahsa
Nijar get or achieve the most advantage of something
by Nijar
apatchi get the most strength of something.
by apatchi
dearpesar getting the most benefit - take the advantage as much as you can
by dearpesar
best use of the situation and benefit from it as much as possible.
by zhaleh hoor
knuschu to get the best result, or the best fulfillment
by knuschu

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

swifty

swifty

Qatar

trying to grab all the benefits from something or offer

09:40 AM Jun 09 2013 |

shaerwan

shaerwan

Syrian Arab Republic

am studying so hard on english baby cause i want to get the most out of ebaby lessons

06:47 PM Jun 07 2013 |

Mr. Learner

Peru

I want to get the most out of E-baby. I want to practice all its free lessons.

Thanks .. I like this expression :) 

08:09 PM Jun 06 2013 |

julito

julito

Argentina

Dear Seungmanlee,  I agree with our friend   Nijar. Language is about communication ,weather  it is speaking  with a native speaker  or  a person that speaks in english as a second language ,we should not be afraid of making mistakes  ,they are part of the learning process, and we must remember that ” Rome wasn´t built in a day”, it takes  time to  get to a  acceptable  grade of proficiency . You are a pro and eventually will succeed . I have no doubt about it.!!!

03:03 PM Jun 06 2013 |

Nijar

Nijar

Egypt

Mr seungmanlee, don’t hesitate anymore, I think the right way to be proficient specially in a language is to take it from the mouth of a native speaker.Find a friend, communicate with him constantly, not expected to be excellent for awhile, whatever day after day with your boldness you’ll be a lion(native speaker).

Get the most out of a conversation, and let the time fix it!!

02:42 PM Jun 06 2013 |

omar saidi

omar saidi

Tanzania, United Republic Of

” I always get the most out of it for the whole whose hating me without apparent reasons ,,,,,,,” 

01:48 PM Jun 06 2013 |

seungmanlee68

South Korea

When I made a new resolution, I used to try to get the most out of it using a detailed plan. However, my resolution kept for only three days because of laziness. I have studied English for many years. But I am still hesitating to communicate with a native speaker in English. Many of them recommend various method for improving language skills. Unfortunately, I didn’t find any good methods until now. Do you know how to improve English skills? If you know, let me know. Have a wonderful day! 

01:08 PM Jun 06 2013 |

zhaleh hoor

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I want to get the most out of this summer and do alot and enjoy myself:)

12:47 PM Jun 06 2013 |

1 person likes this

MESS

MESS

Turkey

As the saying goes, “Life is not a bed of roses.” and neither is mine but no matter what, I am trying to make the most out of my life, embrace each moment and make it count by staying away from negative thoughts and not letting them bereave me of energy and enthusiasm. :)

12:34 PM Jun 06 2013 |

julito

julito

Argentina

I am getting the most out of EB`site  by  logging in everyday and studying  the lessons with the new vocabulary and slang expressions.  Those who want to achieve  success  in every field of activity  they are engaged in, should  exert themselves  to the maximum if they want to get the most out of it.  Success doesn´t come cheap …..lol

10:27 AM Jun 06 2013 |

Kresnyk

Kresnyk

Spain

I usually try to get the most out of all thing I do, in my job, studying…but mainly I try to get the most out of the things I like the most, such as going out with my friends or in my free time.

10:11 AM Jun 06 2013 |

dreadslayer

Turkey

when i’M with my girlfriend.i always get the most out of the time :))

09:55 AM Jun 06 2013 |

1 person likes this

houstonboo

Hong Kong

to maximize the advantage or interest of something

09:19 AM Jun 06 2013 |

NuriaRuiz

NuriaRuizSuper Member!

Spain

I want to get the most out of the time that i spend with my children because when they gets older they will have anothers things to do that stay home

06:03 AM Jun 06 2013 |

Khenifra

Khenifra

Germany

Get the most out of not only a specific moment but of every minutes in your life as it would be the last minute in your life.

05:01 AM Jun 06 2013 |

haitham4vip

Egypt

point out the bes of something

12:16 AM Jun 06 2013 |

Likes (15):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter