Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

stand the test of time

简体
stand the test of time
经得起时间考验

Date: Jun 20 2013

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“It’s great to have been a part of something that has had the beauty of truly standing the test of time.”
- Actress Demi Moore on the 25th anniversary of her movie Ghost (Us Weekly)

“有些东西的美经得起时间考验,而能参与其中,我感觉非常荣幸。”
- 女演员黛米·摩尔 (Demi Moore) 在《人鬼情未了》(Ghost) 25 周年庆典上这样说道

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

not be forgotten; never break down

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Have you ever seen a big structure like a house or a tree that has just collapsed? There was no disaster or anything. There wasn’t a storm that knocked the tree down, or a fire that destroyed the house. You know what caused the damage? It was simply time.

Time can damage other things, too. Time can damage a friendship, when two friends grow apart and no longer have anything to talk about with each other. Time can damage a relationship, when small fights turn into bigger ones. Whether object or relationship, something must be very strong to stand the test of time.

Actress Demi Moore is very proud that she was part of something that stood the test of time: the movie Ghost. Some movies are popular when they first come out, but, 10 years later, no one cares about them anymore. Ghost has remained popular, and its continued popularity shows that it can stand the test of time.

What qualities do you think a relationship or a movie needs to have to stand the test of time?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“It looks solid, but we’ll have to see if it can stand the test of time. “

“They just celebrated their 50 year wedding anniversary. Their relationship has really stood the test of time.”

“That shirt may have been cute in the 1970s, but it looks pretty ugly now. It has not stood the test of time very well.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

Olivine last long
by Olivine
shaerwan to last for a long time
by shaerwan
Julissita Something that it's remembered for a long time.
by Julissita

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

hoosan

United States

Would you send yourself to space ? 

http://youtu.be/1K2ZA5VIFgM

01:58 PM Jun 25 2013 |

BHARATPITTI

India

His tremendous capablity to stand the test of time mentally has strengthened him physically too with a charm and look that can envy the youths.

01:05 PM Jun 24 2013 |

MERSEDEH

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

everlasting

03:28 PM Jun 21 2013 |

3emma3

3emma3

Iraq

There are many people through history who stood the test of time. Their steadfast principles still inspire us. Their values like  a great mountain surviving storm surges. Many generations have  passed and life is in a continual changing.Yet the mountain  is still there as it was   for thousands of years ago.  

03:07 PM Jun 20 2013 |

1 person likes this

DarknessLight

Germany

In order for a relationship to stand the test of time; tust, love, care and respect should be shared between the two partners. 

And about the movie, I think if a movie was  an immediate hit, had a very unique and remarkable plot and the protagonist is a very successful actor and widely loved then the movie would stand the test of time. 

12:34 PM Jun 20 2013 |

1 person likes this

sarah1374

sarah1374

maybe i’m making mistake,but i believe that passing time attracts anything,nobody can’t declare that i’m the same person as i was 5 or 10 years before,so it means that our relationships change too,but the important point is to keep our friendships alive.

11:47 AM Jun 20 2013 |

shaerwan

shaerwan

Syrian Arab Republic

relationship: true love and just true love

11:38 AM Jun 20 2013 |

1 person likes this

MAHSA1995

MAHSA1995

MESS,that was really a great story!i had such fiend too.we were too close,we were classmates scince elementry school,but in hoghschool i found out i didnt know so many things about her!

11:28 AM Jun 20 2013 |

MESS

MESS

Turkey

My friendship with my childhood friend, whom I see as my sister, has always been strong enough to stand the test of time, even though we had to part temporarily until college was over. We came together on holidays but eventually, we had rare opportunities to meet, hang out together and chat. Whenever we met, we realized that things changed, but our friendship never changed. Quite the contrary, our friendship has enriched over time. Distance does not matter if hearts stand together. 

But unfortunately, not every story ends that way. My friendship with one of my close friends at college did not stand the test of time. Right after my friend returned to her hometown, she went her way. She turned out to be a totally different person. True friendship stands the test of time, confronts difficulties and wins over hardships. I am not mad at my friend, though. She chose a different path and I hope she finds immense happiness in her pursuit. :)

11:01 AM Jun 20 2013 |

Ya Nina

Kazakhstan

Definitely, everything can to stand the test of time or not. For example, friendship, relationship between spouses, the books, poetry or others art objects. When something interesting is created people begin to evaluate it but nobody knows what future wait for it. Merely time knows it – may be people forget about it in one day or in one year or never forget. 

Speaking about relationship I’m sure that it is really hard to save it. Too much damage treats them: distance, habit, changing people, condition, life etc. So very often love and friendship don’t stand the test of time, but real love and friendship does. People have to develop, to respect each other, love yourself and other, fond of life and every day, to be interesting yourself and then they become interesting for others. Usually using those rules can you stand the test of time.

09:10 AM Jun 20 2013 |

KelvinPhillbert

China

Y’know, when I was in my senior middle school, I made three good friends, and that time when we stayed in the same school, we always be together, for meals, or hanged out in holidays,even when middle day break for rest. And when we got to the college, we went to the different universities, very far, I was in the north east, and they three in the middle of China, but we still kept in touch, every winter vacation, I went to their school, and then came back home, we also chatted together . Now we all stayed in the southeast but not the same company.i think out friendship rally stand the test of time

08:39 AM Jun 20 2013 |

MAHSA1995

MAHSA1995

i really believe in test of time.it doesnt happen suddenly but it can change or maybe ruin one’s life.

08:08 AM Jun 20 2013 |

nebazgreat

Ethiopia

A secret between couples, I think is the main cause of fight, so for a relationship to stand the test of time there should always be honesty and trust.

06:12 AM Jun 20 2013 |

kenlin16

kenlin16

Taiwan

I respect  those old couples whoes relationship has stood the test of time.

04:13 AM Jun 20 2013 |

1 person likes this

ola33

ola33

Japan

Demi Moore’s beauty stood the test of time. She’s still a looker as the was 20 or 30 years ago..

12:43 AM Jun 20 2013 |

Likes (20):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast