Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Chuck and Larry

Chuck and Larry English, baby! Video Lesson

Date: Oct 03 2007

Themes: Pop Culture, Romance

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Gay marriage is a topic of debate these days in many places around the world. Some places have already legalized it, while others offer same sex couples domestic partnerships, which are sort of like marriages only without the title.

One of the main reasons that same sex couples want to be allowed to get married is because married people file taxes differently and their property is distributed differently if they die. Same sex couples worry that if one of them dies, the remaining partner won’t inherit their property unless they have a legal union.

I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry is a movie about two straight fire fighters from New York. One of them is a single dad and in order to ensure that his children receive his pension if he dies, he has to be married. So he and his buddy decide to pretend to be gay and get a domestic partnership. The movie is supposed to be funny, but Kevin and Devan aren’t laughing.

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Kevin

Kevin

Devan

Devan

Kevin:  Hey, so I saw this preview for this really, I think, offensive movie called Chuck and Larry. Have you heard about it?

Devan:  Uh-uh. What is it?

Kevin:  It’s Kevin James and Adam Sandler, and they pretend to be gay so they can get health benefits.

Devan:  That sounds ridiculous.

Kevin:  Frankly, as a gay person I find that really offensive ’cause they’re just making fun of gay people. And I don’t know, more than that, I’m just really over Adam Sandler. I don’t think he’s funny.

Devan:  He’s not. At all anymore. Billy Madison, that was funny back in the day, but how long ago was that?

Kevin:  Probably about ten years.

Devan:  I’m over Adam Sandler, too.

Kevin:  Totally. Way over him.

Devan:  Down with Adam Sandler!

Kevin:  It’s just these kind of lame movies. Some fat executive sat in an office and said, “That would be really funny.” It’s not cool. But people will go see it.

Devan:  That they will.

Kevin:  Sadly.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Kevin saw a preview for Chuck and Larry, which he thinks looks like an offensive movie because it makes fun of gay people. Kevin is gay, and he doesn’t think it’s funny for a movie to mock gay stereotypes.

He and Devan also agree that one of the stars of the movie, Adam Sandler, isn’t funny anymore. Devan says she likes one of his older movies, Billy Madison, but Kevin points out that that movie came out about 10 years ago. Nowadays Sandler seems to star in really dumb movies that Kevin guesses were written by an executive who doesn’t know anything about being funny.

Do they allow gay marriage where you live? What would you do if you had to get married to make sure your kids were taken care of if you died?

Comments

marisua

marisua

Peru

in dont have nothing in opposite of gay but i think that they have the same rights about us so if in my country allow the gay marriage is ok. but as long as they show respect to chidren and dont kiss each other in the streets….....kids are far off understand this action that is happening in the word.

08:38 PM Apr 06 2011 |

spacedragon

Brazil

here isnt allowed too

01:35 PM Dec 05 2010 |

Ahshan

Ahshan

China

nope! it is absolutely limited in china! and if you marry to a gay,in other words,if you marry to the same genter ,you will be made tease anywhere you go! in china,such thing can not happen totally,i am sure!

11:58 PM Jun 14 2010 |

nassary

Kuwait

Is the word gay noun or an adjective?

07:34 PM Jan 06 2010 |

dosis04

dosis04

Argentina

I don't want you to change your mind MR.D, it is ok, you think that and well, unfortunatelly it didn't happened to you.

Poor you, if you'll have a gay son or daughter. And I don't think that Freddie Mercury was a sick person, I think he was a very  talented person, and nobody knew his was gay until his death.

But thanks for your opinion, you make me see this world is still a shit. Nodoby can do what they want or feel.

02:32 PM Oct 10 2007 |

victor25

victor25

Moldova, Republic Of

Quote MR.D: 

"Falling in love with the same gendre is a crazy thing, I still insist that gay people should see a Psychiatrist…"

I don't agree, it's not a psychological problem, it is rather connected to physiological problem. It is connected to genes and hormones. Some males like males, some females like females and you can't stop them.

01:42 AM Oct 10 2007 |

MR.D

MR.D

Saudi Arabia

Falling in love with the same gendre is a crazy thing, I still insist that gay people should see a Psychiatrist.

Beside, if they lost love as you said, why don't they get married? . . is'nt natural? If gays chose thier way of life by dating people of the same gendre, so they are sick. It's obvious.

I don't care about them too. But it's only a subject to discuss,That's all.

01:02 AM Oct 10 2007 |

dosis04

dosis04

Argentina

Gay marriage is not legalised in Argentina. But it is not strange to see gay couples. There are bars, and discos if they want to go.

I really thought that the gay "thing" was something natural, but apparently, reading some of your opinions, it is not as natural as I thought.

Anyway. I think anybody choose who you fall in love or not, it just happens. And someone saied: why do they commit suicide? It is called love, I think.

I don't care what they do while they don't bother me. 

11:44 PM Oct 09 2007 |

MR.D

MR.D

Saudi Arabia

You are totally right redwana, gay marriage is strange in other traditions and prohibted too.

what's wrong remains wrong no matter of any excuses.

ThanxCool

05:01 PM Oct 08 2007 |

damir123

damir123

Uzbekistan

I did not see it.

04:40 PM Oct 08 2007 |

Monday

Monday

China

if they love each other ,it's ok. i thinkTongue out

09:07 AM Oct 08 2007 |

Monday

Monday

China

i saw it.in china we call the movie

08:54 AM Oct 08 2007 |

victor25

victor25

Moldova, Republic Of

In Moldova ( South-East Europe) gay topic is almost banned in public media.

Gay marriages are not legalised and in general gays have no rights.

Most of them are trying to hide their sex orientation. Even the society looks at gays in a suspicious way, like at something weird or abnormal, especially when the main orthodox religion surpress any homosexual behaviour. 

I've noticed recently that in the local websites people try to debate homosexuality, that's a first step in a long fight for homosexual rights. I do believe we have to pass a long way until gay marriage will be legalised in Moldova.

06:04 AM Oct 08 2007 |

lemonou

lemonou

China

go!go!go!

09:05 AM Oct 07 2007 |

Jaleo

Jaleo

Peru

well, i respect the differents orientation sexual

bye!

01:08 AM Oct 07 2007 |

MR.D

MR.D

Saudi Arabia

lol80 !!

Do you agree with the idea or not? You didn't tell me yet? !!!

10:33 PM Oct 06 2007 |

lol80

lol80

Peru

i really apreciate your comments and your beautiful smile!! zauuu!!

10:02 PM Oct 06 2007 |

MR.D

MR.D

Saudi Arabia

Don't you think that it's strange beening a gay and feeling comfortable at the same time.

I think that gays must see a Psychiatrist. because their situation is dangiours and it's clear that they have a Psycho problems.

07:04 PM Oct 06 2007 |

carlosbertholdi

Brazil

I saw a preview of this movie and I think it's very funny movie, I'll watch it but, not in a movie theater.

12:30 PM Oct 06 2007 |

claire_vanilla18

Germany

i've already watched it and it was very funny.but i'm of the same opinion than kevin, cause they making fun of gay people:::

Nevertheless its worse to watch chuck and larry 

07:31 PM Oct 05 2007 |

Likes (69):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: