Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

whoop it up

whoop it up

Date: Oct 31 2013

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“I don’t stay up and rent private jets and go on yachts and whoop it up in Miami.”

Actor Neil Patrick Harris on the way he lives his life (Brainy Quote)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

party; act crazy

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

If you’ve ever been to a soccer match, you’ve seen it. People get so excited about sports! They might wear their favorite team’s colors, sometimes they paint their faces, and they know all the right songs. But even if they don’t do any of those things, they shout and scream and cheer for their team. Sports fans really know how to whoop it up.

You might whoop it up to celebrate the end of school, to show your love of a band, or even just because it’s the weekend. There’s no rule about when you should whoop it up, though maybe about where you do it. It’s probably not smart to do it in a library, for example, or late at night when your roommates are asleep!

In the above quote, actor Neil Patrick Harris explains that he leads a pretty quiet life. Unlike a lot of celebrities, Neil doesn’t whoop it up at parties or in private airplanes. He probably still goes to parties, but he doesn’t go crazy at them.

When was the last time you wanted to whoop it up? Did you?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“It’s your birthday and you should whoop it up!”

“She plans to whoop it up when exams are over.”

“I used to whoop it up when I was in school, but I don’t really do that anymore.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

having fun and enjoy
by Sir_pouria_H
gomezjo Make a party
by gomezjo
Shafqat To have noisy celebration.
by Shafqat
Jobee celebrate noisily
by Jobee

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

julito

julito

Argentina

I am kind of a low-key guy . I think that  whooping it up  is not a trait in my character , but   I have a good smile  when i am with people  that are  going overboard  during a celebration.  

09:21 PM Oct 31 2013 |

Jasonlongo

Jasonlongo

Congo, Democratic Republic Of The

I’m kind of a shy boy, and  don’t whoop it up, even if it’s a matter of my own joy !

08:05 PM Oct 31 2013 |

1 person likes this

SÉRGIO

SÉRGIO

Brazil

my last birthday! i really whooped it up!!

06:43 PM Oct 31 2013 |

1 person likes this

hattomi

hattomi

Yemen

I never whoop it up even once in my whole life , I really wanna try this…...

04:33 PM Oct 31 2013 |

Olivine

Olivine

Indonesia

when it’s getting bored, better to whoop it up and let people smileee =D

01:23 PM Oct 31 2013 |

yousefkohpeyma

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

When I hear a quote or anything else with this meaning, it mainly reminds me of birthday parties. Actually about a month ago, it was one of my friends’ birthday, we had planned to whoop it up, fortunately everything went well according to our plan, including weather conditions (due to the place), the place where we wanted to hold it in, the people who we coordinated with to attend the party and so forth, and as a result, we managed to do so. What is more, there are also some other occasions for which I normally whoop it up along with my friends or family, by way of example, our national celebrations, Nouroz holiday in particular (our new year)‏.‏

06:45 AM Oct 31 2013 |

Juneshang

Juneshang

China

As a shy girl,never whoop it up.Always keep peaceful and just little smile.-

Almost all chinese not whoop it up.

06:14 AM Oct 31 2013 |

DanielBorges

Portugal

I always try to whoop it up in New Year’s Eve, it is a time when people make wishes to the new year and hope that will be better that the one which closes! Also in St. John party in Oporto, where everyone goes to the streets with plastic hammers and have fun with others!

09:04 PM Oct 30 2013 |

Likes (13):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast