Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Public Library

Public Library

Date: Oct 02 2007

Themes: Hobbies

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

The library might seem a little square, but think about it for a minute. Libraries are usually in neat-looking, old buildings, so that’s cool. Plus, where else can go and take anything you want home with you for free?

The only thing better than checking out books is checking out the other people at the library. If you see a cute guy or girl in the library, you know he or she has to be at least a little intelligent, right? And you can tell what someone’s interests are based on what type of books they’re examining. Of course, when looking for dates in the library, it’s wise to stay away from the psychology section. Anyone reading Ayn Rand is probably a bad idea too.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Kevin

Kevin

Amanda

Amanda

Kevin:  Have you ever gone to the Multnomah Public Library?

Amanda:  Yes I have.

Kevin:  ...Which is like the oldest west of the Mississippi. It’s like a big deal.

Amanda:  I didn’t know that, but I think that the library is one of the most fabulous but underused resources. A lot of people have never even been to the local library. And it’s so fantastic…for free! And for three weeks, you can check out 100 books.

Kevin:  Really?

Amanda:  They trust you that much.

Kevin:  That many?

Amanda:  Yes. On the honor system, 100 books, 25 DVDs, all based on trust.

Kevin:  You’re kidding. So do you use it often?

Amanda:  I do use it often because I’d rather go there than Blockbuster to get the same DVD for as long as I want for free…as long as you don’t abuse the system and that’s where it gets a little shady.

Kevin:  Some people do, but probably few. I know people who use it frequently, especially here. It seems like a community that supports the public library.

Amanda:  Yes. On a Friday or Saturday night, it’s pretty cool when you see it packed, you know? Bar or library…and a lot of people will choose library, believe it or not.

Kevin:  Or maybe both.

Amanda:  I think it’s become kind of a singles market too.

Kevin:  Good to know. I’ll keep that in mind.

Amanda:  You should.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Amanda has been to the public library in Portland, but she didn’t know that it’s the oldest library on this side of the country until Kevin told her. Kevin didn’t know that you can check out 100 books from the library until Amanda told him.

You can also check out 25 DVDs, which is what Amanda likes to do. It’s better than renting them from a video store like Blockbuster because it’s free and you can keep them for as long as you like.

When you check something out of the library, you’re on your honor to bring it back. The police won’t come looking for you if you don’t return a library book. The worst that can happen is the library stops lending you books. But Kevin points out that people don’t often abuse the library, especially in Portland where people like the library a lot.

Kevin doesn’t mention it, but people in Portland use the library more than people in any other American city. Maybe that’s because they’re all there to find a date. Amanda jokes that people go to the library instead of a bar on a Friday or Saturday night.

What is the library system like where you live? When’s the last time you checked out a book (or a potential mate) at the library?

Comments

soca63

soca63

Germany

The first public (real “public”- for everybody) libraries in Germany (in Europe) were founded in 1899 in Hamburg by the Patriotic Society. Nowadays it’s very modern with not only books but other media as well (DVD, CD, Internet).

Children are very welcome… lots of kid’s books available, in many other foreign languages too.

09:25 PM Feb 01 2014 |

1 person likes this

byerman

byerman

Taiwan

In Taiwan, people go to the public library to study texbooks in order to pass the exams and some old adults go there to read newspapers and magazines. Keeping quiet is the top priority for people staying around in the library. In Taiwan, if someone or kids speak louldy in the library, the others will stop him or the adminstrator will dispel them~~ 

09:14 PM Feb 01 2014 |

Staisy

Staisy

Russian Federation

When I was a student I went to the National Library of Russia to prepare for exams. This library was opened in 1814 and is famous for its manuscript collection, which I was lucky to see ones.

I went there with  my fellow students, and as if it was not allowed to check books out, we had to stay there all day long. It was cool to prepare for exams together, helping each other.

I have not been in this library for  eight years since,  but it is nice to know that its doors are always open for readers.

07:36 PM May 20 2013 |

1 person likes this

Jovana55

Serbia and Montenegro

Well, we have the public library and each school has its own. The public library charges a year’s fee,which isn’t too much, it’s quite a real price for it, but if you want to check out some books from school library you dont have to pay anything.

The last time I have checked out a book at the library was a month ago. I often borrows books from library, but sometimes I buy some , if I really like some of it.

Also, there is an American corner in my city, which is very interesting community. I was enrolled there a few years ago and you can take the books with you without paying any fee. You have the internet access there if you hae to find something.

09:08 AM Jul 21 2012 |

YenTaFo

YenTaFo

Thailand

My university can’t pick book out, so you can just read in the libraby. arr I cant to read at the place again becouse the library follow only students and staff. Oh really miss….

03:32 AM Apr 15 2012 |

anatoly

Ukraine

I go to university library once a week. It’s fantastic place but almost uninhabited.    

07:58 AM Dec 21 2011 |

1 person likes this

Sofia François

France

cool

06:17 PM Oct 22 2010 |

gaomay

China

i usually go to library to find books but i have to admit i lack the ability to find books i really need . i just lost in the huge numbers of books.

07:45 AM Jun 01 2010 |

julywidiawati

Indonesia

I go to the campus library and public library just when i need some information about something…Or when I want to read news paper for free. And the library mostly using honor system but in campus library if you check out the book without return it you will have your name on announcement board and if you loose that book you have to pay some charges. <!-Session data->

10:47 AM Sep 26 2009 |

l3th1ha1du0ng

Viet Nam

I often go to British Council’s library to self-study English! It’s such a perfect place with plenty of books and lots of DVDs[looks like that library].But sadly we can’t check out those :(

03:07 AM Sep 15 2009 |

kittycindy

China

it sound very good,but i can’t go abroad,and go to this library.

01:19 PM Jan 25 2008 |

coolest ^_*

United Arab Emirates

yes reading books in a library is really interesting but actually I rarely  go to the library just for a necessary things

I often use my own librey in my room Wink for reading  but of course some times I go to the library to check out some books

05:07 PM Nov 23 2007 |

sherryleio

sherryleio

China

I like to use library. Yep, it’s pretty cool to take the books home for free. Not so lucky as Amanda, from our local library, I can only take 2 books for 4 weeks…Anyway it is good to get books from library, especially the books are getting expensiver nowadays.

03:53 AM Oct 15 2007 |

cathyz

cathyz

China

I know library, and sometime I go there for feading or buy some books for my English study.(_)

12:42 PM Oct 10 2007 |

shoaib ca

shoaib ca

Afghanistan

i am a library fan, it is an holy place to learn how to make a play and get a head

09:34 AM Oct 08 2007 |

Jeff456

Jeff456

Taiwan

I like to go to library when I’m free. But in my country(Taiwan), lots of people don’t go to library very often,either check out books.

12:20 PM Oct 07 2007 |

steppe

steppe

Viet Nam

You’re right.My favourite books are the series of ” the Chicken soup for the soul” and ” the soul’s crop” ( these were translated into Vietnamese). Those books give me the best lessons about happiness, kindness, hope, love,etc. That are all we need in our lives. I’ve learned a lot from these books.”You never live until you love with all your heart and soul”

12:12 AM Oct 07 2007 |

lol80

lol80

Peru

i love to read i used to go to the public library constantly, i will recomend you visit teh library near your home, come on!!

09:49 PM Oct 06 2007 |

akustikoman

Turkey

good

01:12 PM Oct 06 2007 |

Chikako Honda

Japan

I agree with you. Books are often good medicines to our soul and heart.  It encourages us wehn we are discouraged.  It  teaches us important things through the people who had the same experiences as we are having. We can learn many things from reading books.  Also we could  go wherever we like and learn about their culture, have an exciting experiences.  When I was a little girl , one of my favorite books was a Narnia.  To be honest, I haven't  read so many books, but some of them have still impacted on me now.  I think it is very important what kind of books we choose and read!

09:20 AM Oct 06 2007 |

Likes (110):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast