Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Swimming Lessons
Swimming Lessons

Learn English meaning of 'swimming lessons'

Date: Nov 19 2019

Themes: Health, Hobbies, Sports

Grammar: Future Progressive Tense

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Have you ever tried a water sport? Swimming is a good workout for everyone. It is a low-impact sport. Children and older people can do it as well as professional athletes. Many people also find splashing around in the water very fun!

But what if you can’t swim? It can be difficult to learn how to swim, especially if you are a late bloomer and have never done it before. Swimming lessons can help you learn the different strokes and get better at swimming.

Romeo is taking swimming lessons. Listen and find out what Romeo and Brian think about swimming.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Romeo

Romeo

Brian

Brian

Romeo:  I am taking swimming lessons.

Brian:  Oh!

Romeo:  And I am way too old.

Brian:  Really!

Romeo:  Yeah.

Brian:  No, that’s great. You’re just a late bloomer. I grew up in Southern California, and I learned swimming at a very young age.

Romeo:  Yeah, but I hear it’s a lot harder when you’re older. I am completely out of my element.

Brian:  Oh, no, you’ll be great! Your form might not be correct at first, but once you learn the different strokes...

Romeo:  Form? I don’t even know how to doggy paddle!

Brian:  Well, that’s what they’re going to teach you. They’ll teach you the different strokes, like backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly. That’s the hardest one, so as soon as you get into it, it will build your stamina.

Romeo:  Right. That’s what the gym is for.

Brian:  Yeah, but swimming is a great workout. You won’t have to go to the gym, you can just swim laps, and it does a lot of work for you.

Romeo:  Yeah, I went to this really nice place, and I wanted to take a stab at it, but… a lot of peer pressure. I just couldn’t do it. I didn’t have it in me to try.

Brian:  Well, you’ve got it now. And then, trust me, once you’re at the beach, you’ll love it. All the girls will be looking at you, at your swimming.

Romeo:  All right, all right, all right. I do like the beach.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Future Progressive Tense" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Romeo is taking swimming lessons, but he thinks they are very difficult. He can’t even doggy paddle, so he is worried about learning the other swimming strokes. He is also nervous because of peer pressure. He would rather go to the gym.

Brian learned how to swim when he was very young. He thinks swimming is good for the body. Brian believes that swimming is not very hard once you learn the different strokes. He thinks Romeo should continue with his swimming lessons so he will look good at the beach.

Do you swim often? Would you rather swim in a pool or in the ocean?

Comments

NIJ321655

NIJ321655

United States

Love to go swimming.

02:15 PM Nov 25 2015 |

MehmetKaragul

Turkey

I love swimming. And I am planning to take a swiming lesson. I prefer pools.

01:01 PM Nov 25 2015 |

1 person likes this

hermitlady

China

No. But I swimmed often when I worked in a nother place in the ocean. It was about five years ago.  I just played in the ocean with my friends because I can’t swim. Usually I was seeing them in the water.

I think swimming is a good thing for the body too. I would like having my daughter  to swim next year.

07:57 AM Nov 25 2015 |

1 person likes this

rabindra shrestha

Nepal

I love to swim in the ocean but thet’s not possible for me because i am from landlock country Nepal. I always swimming in the rivers, Lake, Streams, waterfalls. I never learned swimming from other person. I got experience from myself about swimming. 

07:18 AM Nov 25 2015 |

1 person likes this

Likes (6):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: