Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Guillermo del Toro
Guillermo del Toro

Learn English meaning of 'Guillermo del Toro'

Date: Dec 25 2015

Themes: Celebrity, Pop Culture

Grammar: Adjectives

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Guillermo del Toro is a Mexican film director and writer. He is one of the most famous and interesting film makers in the world. He started making small art house films. In recent years, he has made some blockbuster movies. His films are influenced by many different genres, like science fiction and horror.

Guillermo del Toro’s fans love his supernatural and creepy style. As a young boy, he had a fascination with monsters, and they were an important part of his imagination. His new movie, Crimson Peak, features a different pace and is more romantic than his usual horror films.

Brian is a big fan of Guillermo del Toro and wants to go see the new movie with Romeo. Find out what Romeo thinks of his movies in today’s English lesson.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Brian

Brian

Romeo

Romeo

Brian:  Hey Romeo. Have you seen the trailer for Crimson Peak? It’s the new Guillermo del Toro film.

Romeo:  Guillermo who?

Brian:  He’s the guy… you might have seen some of his blockbuster movies. He did a lot of art house films at the beginning like Pan’s Labyrinth. Maybe, you’ve seen Hellboy, it’s one of my favorite movies, or Pacific Rim.

Romeo:  Pacific Rim! He did Pacific Rim? That was a good movie.

Brian:  Yeah, but this is his newest one. It’s a gothic romance, ghost story. It’s supposed to be really creepy, very supernatural, and kind of scary.

Romeo:  Yeah, I am not a fan of those movies that, you know, give you goose bumps or anything like that. I’m not trying to have chills sent down my spine.

Brian:  Well, I’m a pretty die-hard Guillermo del Toro fan. I think you’d really like it. I think it’s a great change of pace. His other ones are very… I guess they are more classified as horror films. This one is definitely more of a romance story but still with ghosts.

Romeo:  Horror films? I didn’t think Pacific Rim was that much of a horror film. That was masterful. What are you talking about?

Brian:  I guess it’s an action movie, but it definitely has that element of monsters and the practical effects.

Romeo:  Yeah, I can see that.

Brian:  Yeah, so I thought you might want to check out the trailer because I’m going to go next week if you want to check it out with me.

Romeo:   Okay, I’ll check it out. And I’ll give you a call, and I’ll let you know.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Adjectives" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Brian and Romeo are talking about Guillermo del Toro. Brian is a die-hard fan and has watched a lot of his movies. He tells Romeo that del Toro’s new movie, Crimson Peak, is more than just a horror film. It is a love story, which is a change of pace from his other movies.

Romeo does not like scary movies because, when he watches them, he gets goose bumps. He has seen some of del Toro’s blockbuster movies and liked them. Romeo tells Brian he will watch the trailer for Crimson Peak and will let Brian know if he wants to go to the movie with him.

What do you think about horror movies? Have you ever seen a movie by Guillermo del Toro?

Comments

lizaolamaribel@yahoo.comSuper Member!

United States

Horror movies are the best I have watched few movies by Guillemot and I loved it

10:35 AM Dec 28 2015 |

easfah

easfah

Morocco

I don’t know.. In fact I don’t like watching movies.. but I liked this expression “I’m not trying to have chills sent down my spine.”..:D

01:22 AM Dec 27 2015 |

Snowie

Snowie

Turkey

Horror movies are the best to get goose bumps. 

09:07 AM Dec 26 2015 |

Angela159

United Kingdom

I think horror films are more entertatining than others because there are lots of suspence and thriller on it. 

http://www.quickdissertationhelp.co.uk/

06:48 AM Dec 26 2015 |

Wuthering

United States

Horror movies make my heart beat faster . It makes my mind thinking the other worlds around our real world . Have you seen a ghost ? lol  ... they’re standing behind you while you are online to learn English …. lol 

07:18 PM Dec 25 2015 |

1 person likes this

ola33

ola33

Japan

I didn’t know all these movies by del Toro. I haven’t seen none whole movie. Yes, they’re horror but what makes them more goosy bumpy is that they’ve got a touch of reality. That’s what I felt. It’s interesting some directors have a signature. I wasn’t even surprised all those movie by the same director . Among directors I like Zemekis. Sorry if the spelling is wrong.
And my fav movie for today is Christmas vacation. :)))
Christmas is today
Time to celebrate
Tra la la la la la la la la laaaa

03:42 PM Dec 25 2015 |

1 person likes this

hermitlady

China

no. i don’t like about horror films, and i haven’t seen a movie by guillermo del toro.

i like comedy and about life movies.

07:26 AM Dec 25 2015 |

Likes (11):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: