Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

take it with a grain of salt

简体

Date: Jan 14 2016

Themes: Health, Work

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

Fame comes and fame goes, but you have to be able to laugh about yourself and to take it with a grain of salt.

Actress Khloe Kardashian, talking about the importance of laughing at yourself (BrainyQuote)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

not take something seriously

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Have you ever been criticized for something at school or work? It is hard to hear something critical from a boss or a teacher, and it can make you sad or angry. When you get home, your family or friends tell you not to worry and to take it with a grain of salt.

To take it with a grain of salt means to not take something too seriously. Sometimes, it is good to take things with a grain of salt because worrying too much can make us sick!

Actress Khloe Kardashian is constantly in the spotlight. She knows that she has to take her fame with a grain of salt. If she took everything people said about her seriously, she would go crazy!

What do you take with a grain of salt?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“Sure, I’m honored to receive his praise, but I’ll take it with a grain of salt. He is my father, after all.”

“I’m sorry she yelled at you, but try to take it with a grain of salt. She’s having a bad day.”

“She always tries to take compliments with a grain of salt. She doesn’t want to get a big ego.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

Manu4 Not to take something too seriously.
by Manu4
When mom give me some information about something, i always take what she says with a grain of salt because i know that she is not always tell the truth.
by Vidya Rianti Siahaan

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

makin02

makin02

Algeria

I’m always taking things laughter and joking, but some people do not like to be happy. But I don’t  care for them. I always kidding…...but not with Director in the work lol

08:54 PM Jan 14 2016 |

Wuthering

United States

Trump is just angry about Middleeast immigrant people , but he just takes it with a grain of salt . is it correct meaning which I am trying to express ? 

03:51 PM Jan 14 2016 |

1 person likes this

Snowie

Snowie

Turkey

In order to avoid unnecessary stress we should take things with a grain of salt. 

06:42 AM Jan 14 2016 |

MotherEarth

Canada

When I was kid at the elementary school I had criticized a lot of times because I was a kind of kid that would be listen to my teacher and I could not able to take it with a grain of salt .
The result of that made me so mad from my teacher .

03:39 AM Jan 14 2016 |

Likes (11):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast