Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

silver lining

简体
silver lining
whole nine yards

Date: Feb 18 2016

Themes: Health, Time

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“Our happiness is certainly mixed in with the tragedies of life. You have to find the lemonade. You have to find the silver lining in the middle of everything that happens in life.

Actress Chandra Wilson, talking about being optimistic in life (BrainyQuote)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

one good thing about a bad thing; common expression: ‘every cloud has a silver lining.’

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

We have all experienced difficult times in our lives. Sometimes, the sadness hits us like a truck, and all we want to do is stay in bed. When we feel very sad or angry, it is important to think about the positive things that can come from a bad situation. We have to find the silver lining.

To find the silver lining means to find the hopeful side of a frustrating situation. When someone tells you to look at the silver lining, they mean that, even in the worst events or situations, we have to look for the positives.

Actress Chandra Wilson knows that life is full of good days and bad days. She believes that in the middle of chaos, people learn to see the silver lining.

Do you search for the silver lining during a bad situation?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“I suppose the silver lining of his death was that I got to see a lot of people I hadn’t seen in years at the funeral.”

“Oscar felt nervous as he searched for a silver lining in his gloomy report.”

“My flight got cancelled today, but the silver lining is that I get to spend more time with my family!”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

ortiz2037 Even in bad situations,you can find a bright side..
by ortiz2037
lonewolfbr When there's a tip of hope in a setback situation.
by lonewolfbr

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

ScottAntasco

Cote D'Ivoire

Ever since I grew up and knew what’s good and what’s bad,I had always faced some worries which made me feel like different from others in a negative way.but my silver lining is that I also thought that one day i could be like them and even better than them!!!

04:50 PM Feb 26 2016 |

ItsLife

ItsLife

New Zealand

Personally going through tough time in life at the moment,  a lot of people around me were trying to find the silver lining in what happend for me. I’ve been devestated and could not eat or get balanced again. I too started to look for the silver lining after every single person around me were finding one for me to make me feel better. We need the silver lining to go forward in life. 

09:27 AM Feb 23 2016 |

julito

julito

Argentina

When in the past   i was in a situation of great stress my first thought was to go to bed and had never to wake up again. But life must go on . Good and   bad things equally are momentaneous. Most of the times , after having to pass through great suffering ,the silver lining is that we came out of it stronger than before.   

09:31 PM Feb 18 2016 |

Wuthering

United States

Silver lining is a reaction of our brain , if not , we are done . 

03:31 PM Feb 18 2016 |

hermitlady

China

Yes , I am now just in this situation.

I have been in depressed mood for very long time. Sometimes I want to cry. I am so easily angry that my child’s small questions can make me out of control.

It seems that I am not excited any more.

It seems that I don’t have a goal except my family and my children and various of homework.

Sometimes I feel tired.

Now , I see this article named “ silver lining”. It is so appropriate to express my current status. I am trying hard to find the “silver lining”.

I have a job and I love it. So I work hard. I should be thank my boss giving me a job and trust me.

I have a husband who love me very much even though he occasionally made me angry.

I have two child who love me and depend me and trust me without any condition.

All that I should be thanking , shouldn’t I ?

Likes (9):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast