Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Student Loans
Student Loans

Learn English meaning of ‘student loans’

Date: May 12 2020

Themes: School

Grammar: Phrasal Verbs

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

It’s common to have anxiety over your education. After all, it takes a lot of time and effort to be a student! A good student needs to attend classes, do homework, study for tests, and shouldn’t forget about hobbies and friends.

While education can improve life, it is a huge expense for many people. Some students get financial help from their family or government. Other students may work a job and study at the same time. However, if a student still doesn’t have enough money to pay for school, they might have to borrow money from a bank. This allows the student to get an education, but it also means they will need to repay the loan at a future date.

Kelsey and Andy are talking about the necessary evil of student loans. Find out what they think in today’s English lesson.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Kelsey

Kelsey

Andy_H

Andy_H

Kelsey:  Hey Andy, I have great news! I just got approved for an income-based repayment for my student loans.

Andy_H:  That’s fantastic! Well, I’m really glad that you’re making headway on getting those payments paid!

Kelsey:  Yeah, I’ve been having a lot of anxiety over getting them paid off, and even with this repayment plan, I still have a bit of fear about it.

Andy_H:  Well, you know, I understand where people can get really anxious about needing to pay off their student loans, but take me, for example. I understood that, when I was young I needed to go to college, which was a huge expense but instead of looking at it as some kind of necessary evil, I focused on how this was an investment in my future.

Kelsey:  You know, I do agree with that. I really value the education I got. I just wish I didn’t have to work two jobs right now to pay it all off.

Andy_H:  And I feel you, sister. I am working my tail off, but when I think of where I am right now, it really makes me happy that there were these kinds of establishments that allowed me to borrow money so that I could get an education, even if they are really expensive.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Phrasal Verbs" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Kelsey has good news! She is happy that she now has an income-based repayment plan for her student loans. She still has a little anxiety about paying off all her loans, and she is working two jobs to make the payments.

Like Kelsey, Andy is also working his tail off. He always knew that student loans would be a good investment in his future, and that’s why he thinks of these loans as a necessary evil. Andy is grateful that he was able to borrow money to pay for school. He congratulates Kelsey on making headway with her payments.

How do you pay for school? Do loans give you anxiety, or do you think they are a good investment?

Comments

rakib224455

Bangladesh

Do you want to write your research paper by experts.Research papers are

available in online for sale.To know more visit the website : <a href=”

http://www.researchpaperforsale.top/

”><B><U><I>researchpaperforsale.top</B></U></I></a>

02:46 PM May 26 2016 |

rakib2244

rakib2244

Bangladesh

Research papers writing has become easier now.For excellent research paper writing you can contact with online research papers sale website.Expert writers will write your research papers.To know more visit : cheapresearchpaperforsale.blogspot.com

09:24 PM May 24 2016 |

NIJ321655

NIJ321655

United States

Student Loans cost alot but you have help and have a job.

08:45 PM May 11 2016 |

joao correia

Brazil

No I didn’t need of a bank loan for my studies because I studied in a public college. But I think that if is necessary for studies I agree with the loan bank because after you there will a better job, so it’s a good investment for me. 

Make headway in your life, think it.

04:20 PM May 11 2016 |

ola3

ola3Super Member!

Ukraine

That’s the dilemma to go to the University and pay through the nose and after have difficullty finding a job because the supply exceeds demand and you end up working at Starbucks just to pay off your tution and to make ends meet. Or get a job which is more down to earth, cost much less money to be trained but brings you always bread and butter. That’s the sort of tendency is in the air today.

12:30 PM May 11 2016 |

julito1

julito1

Argentina

In my country we have both , private and public universities . public universities are free and some are considered very good.  

About universities in USA, they are expensive and unless your parents had saving up enough money to send you to college, you will have to apply for a student loan, and here is where your trouble begins. Debts start piling up . You may have a degree and not necessarily-if you are in the middle of a recession, a good paid job . Your life will be full of anxiety thinking on this rope that is hanging over your head : repeating, pay me, pay me !!

I have to desagree with Andy. Those establishments that he is talking about are only greedy individuals whose only interest is making a huge profit by lending money, debt that will be almost impossible to pay it off, having the graduate student to break his/her back working two shifts to cancel the debt.

Hamedrees

Hamedrees

Sudan

I think i’am so so lucky due to that ia’m not loan any money for my study life because of my parent .

may be sometime this loan let you more anxiety till you pay off all of it .

absolutely i agree ,, that loan can became an investment for your future life when you graduate and be an employer in a big company that time may be you remember these hard days of your life .

09:52 AM May 11 2016 |

Ditti

Ditti

Hungary

Yes. Student loans is absolutely a good investment in the future. Just the trouble is that usually people work their tail off to pay the money back and after then they have to borrow money to buy a house, then their children’s education and so on. So,unfortunately the loan is necessary evil most of our life.

And the other bad thing is that there are many people who are so poor that they can’t get a loan and they can’t get an education even they are very talented and clever. 

Likes (6):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast