Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

First Things First
First Things First English, baby! Video Lesson

Learn English meaning of ‘first things first’

Date: Dec 19 2017

Themes: Soap Opera

Grammar: Gerunds vs. Infinitives

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Have you ever performed a play for an audience before you rehearse it? Or how about drove your car to work before changing out of your pajamas? Have you written a book report before reading the book? Or maybe, you drank some coffee grounds before adding hot water. Of course you haven’t done that because that would be silly. You know you can’t jump ahead like that. You need to do the first things first.

When you do the first things first, this means you do the most important thing at the beginning. If you are going to spend time writing a book report, you should definitely read the book first. Before you get going on work, you’ll need to put on your work clothes. If you want to perform a play, you’ll need to schedule a rehearsal or two.

Andy and Kelsey are rehearsing the final scene of the movie, but they keep jumping ahead. Watch as Nestor tries to get them to do the first things first in today’s English lesson.

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Nestor

Nestor

Andy_H

Andy_H

Kelsey

Kelsey

Nestor:  OK, first things first. The most important thing I need you to remember is that… Andy, do you have a question?

Andy_H:  Quick question, yes. What time do you think we’ll be done today?

Nestor:  Today? Well… it’s the last scene of the film, so it’s important.

Andy_H:  So…

Nestor:  It shouldn’t take too long, but it is important, so I want to spend time on it. The sooner we get going, the sooner we’ll be done. As I was saying, first things first. We need to remember to work on the blocking…

Andy_H:  Can I do my lines last today? I just feel like I need to warm up, you know, do some jumping jacks…

Nestor:  Let’s not jump ahead! Let’s focus on right now. OK, everyone. OK. As I was saying… Yes, Kelsey?

Kelsey:  I just wanted to say that I’m super excited but also super sad. This is the last day of making this film, and then, we won’t be doing it anymore. And it’s just been so much fun! And I don’t want it to end, and… That’s all. Sorry.

Nestor:  OK.

Kelsey:  I’m really excited about today… and sad. I’m feeling a lot of things.

Nestor:  Everyone, let’s start from the beginning and not worry about the end, quite yet. Any more questions? Good. I want to rehearse a few lines, and then we will get started. First things first…

Andy_H:  After rehearsal, can we go grab a snack?

Kelsey:  Oh, yeah! I forgot to eat breakfast.

Andy_H:  And coffee, too.

Kelsey:  Mmm… coffee sounds great!

Andy_H:  Oh, my gosh! I need a coffee.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Gerunds vs. Infinitives" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Nestor is trying to rehearse the final scene of the movie with Andy and Kelsey. Andy and Kelsey keep interrupting him. First, Andy wants to know what time they will be done. Nestor tells him the scene is important, so they will be spending some time on it. Then, Andy asks if he can do his lines last. Nestor tells him first things first, and they need to focus on the present moment.

Kelsey interrupts Nestor to tell him that she is happy to be here, but sad that it’s the last day. She’s happy and sad at the same time. Nestor tells her not to worry about the end just yet. Then, Andy interrupts again to ask if they can get a snack after rehearsal. Nestor puts his head in hands, defeated.

Have you ever tried to skip ahead? Do you regret not doing the first things first?

Comments

allenzhaojl

China

First thing first I am going to do my H/W, then my lunch then I’ll sleep.

01:07 PM Dec 21 2017 |

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

It’s easy to get distracted by trivial things from priorities, but it’s important to try your best to deal with first things first.

06:41 PM Dec 19 2017 |

1 person likes this

Likes (7):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: