Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Breakup Albums
Breakup Albums

Learn English meaning of ‘chatter’

Date: Feb 16 2018

Themes: Celebrity, Friend, Pop Culture, Romance

Grammar: Future in the Past

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Everyone wants to listen to music that resonates with them. We want to listen to songs about life… the joys, pain, and everything in between. Especially when we go through a breakup, we want to listen to songs about love and heartache. In fact, singers can make beaucoup bucks with these songs. One famous example is Adele.

Adele wrote many famous songs about her ex. But now her ex isn’t very happy. She made a lot of money singing about him, and he wants a slice of the pie. Singers can sing about their lives, but there are laws that protect the identities of people, even the person’s ex-girlfriend or boyfriend. And if the person inspired the song, should they get some of the money?

Marni loves Adele. Listen as she and Romeo talk about her and her ex in today’s English lesson.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Romeo

Romeo

Marni:  So, I was just listening to Adele, and I love her voice.

Romeo:  I love her voice.

Marni:  She’s so talented.

Romeo:  She’s awesome.

Marni:  And it occurred to me that there’s all this chatter.

Romeo:  Uh-huh.

Marni:  You know because she’s become very famous…

Romeo:  Right.

Marni:  ... because of her breakup songs and her broken heart.

Romeo:  Yeah, it’s like 80 percent of her songs.

Marni:  Sure. Right? And so many people can relate to those, and it resonates with so many people.

Romeo:  OK. So, what were you gonna say?

Marni:  So, I’m hearing that there’s talk of uh… people thinking that Adele should then compensate her ex monetarily because she has profited off of the heartbreak that he caused.

Romeo:  Ohh, right, right, so it’s like he inspired that so he should get a slice of the pie.

Marni:  Right.

Romeo:  I mean, if they were still together, then maybe, she’d be making all these happy, non-breakup songs, and then, he would still think he’s entitled to a slice of the pie.

Marni:  Sure. I mean, I guess that could happen.

Marni:  But, you know, the reality is she became famous, a lot of her songs are about this past relationship. I think it’s just ludicrous myself!

Marni:  Right?

Romeo:  Uh-huh.

Marni:  ‘Cause she overcame the heartbreak. She had the talent and the voice to overcome all that. Right?

Romeo:  Mm-hmm.

Marni:  So uh… I say, you know, her ex… screw him! He’s not entitled to anything.

Romeo:  So, he doesn’t get beaucoup bucks?

Marni:  No!

Romeo:  No?

Marni:  He doesn’t get anything!

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Future in the Past" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni was just listening to Adele and loves her voice. She has heard lots of rumors and chatter about Adele and her success. She became famous for her breakup songs. So, people think that she should compensate her ex-boyfriend monetarily because he inspired her. He wants a slice of the pie.

Romeo thinks that’s a little ridiculous. Even if they did not break up, Adele could have written songs about him anyway. As a singer, you write about your life! Either way, he would probably still feel entitled. Marni thinks Adele worked hard to overcome her sadness. She is the talented one, so she deserves the beaucoup bucks!

Do you think Adele’s ex-boyfriend deserves a slice of the pie? What do you think of Adele’s music?

Comments

Kennethpana

El Salvador

i dont think that the ex boyfriend needs a slide of pie because the songs that  adele wrote are songs about her experiences and she doesnt need to pay money to her ex brofriend for the mention, i meand its a song about her experience it just like a normal song that mention things about experieneces.

07:18 PM Mar 07 2020 |

moniqa_204

El Salvador

Adele’s ex-boyfriend doesn’t deserve a slice of pie, because she is the one who wrote the songs and sings them and only because he served as inspiration she doesn’t necessarily have to give him some of that money.<!-/data/user/0/com.samsung.android.app.notes/files/clipdata/clipdata_200307_124419_897.sdoc->

06:46 PM Mar 07 2020 |

moniqa_204

El Salvador

Adele’s ex-boyfriend doesn’t deserve a slice of pie, because she is the one who wrote the songs and sings them and only because he served as inspiration she doesn’t necessarily have to give him some of that money.<!-/data/user/0/com.samsung.android.app.notes/files/clipdata/clipdata_200307_124419_897.sdoc->

06:45 PM Mar 07 2020 |

moniqa_204

El Salvador

06:44 PM Mar 07 2020 |

SpookBoy1803

El Salvador

I think Adele´s ex-boyfiend does not deserve a slice of the pie, because she wrotes all of her songs. She made the effort to reach popularity, nobody helped her, not even her ex-boyfiend. Being the inspiration of someone else does not mean you have to take the glory.

04:52 PM Mar 07 2020 |

Armando475

El Salvador

No I don’t think Adele’s ex-boyfriend deserves a slice of the pie, because Adele is the one who wrote the song, she is the one who made an effort for creating and singing the song. I am saying that truthly being the inspiration of someone isn’t a reason for deserving beaucoup bucks!

02:57 PM Mar 07 2020 |

Armando475

El Salvador

No I don’t think Adele’s ex-boyfriend deserves a slice of the pie, because Adele is the one who wrote the song, she is the one who made an effort for creating and singing the song. I am saying that truthly being the inspiration of someone isn’t a reason for deserving beaucoup bucks!

02:56 PM Mar 07 2020 |

Dily93

United States

I am new here, and I love Adele 

07:32 PM Feb 20 2018 |

tamago

tamago

Japan

I like Adele .
Singing is very talented .super one !
But some songs are boring .
Ex of all over the world in all over the world’s songs deserved a slice of the pie ?
Or about only Adele ?

07:53 PM Feb 17 2018 |

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

Adele’s music is wonderful, I like her very much. And this story about her ex-boyfriend is absolutely ludicrous, he’s not entitled to any cent and he has nothing to do with her success.

08:58 PM Feb 16 2018 |

1 person likes this

narveen

India

Ofcourse, her ex has to get some bucks out of it. she inspired from her ex, so he is the source what she earned and he also get his share from it.

05:21 AM Feb 16 2018 |

Likes (7):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast