Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Internet Punctuation (ebaby, facebook, myspace)

Date: Nov 11 2007

Topic: Teen English

Author: jman07

Lesson

Often times when United States kids log on to the internet and chat with our friends, we use informal sentence structure in a "slang form" just like we use "slang words."  For example, puncuations marks such as "..." can be used to bypass commas or to explain that one may be thinking about what they are going to say.  Instead of thinking about the sentence and writing it in a completed form United States teens may just use a "..." to express a pause.  Further more, formal punctuation is usually done away with all togethor.  I know for a face that my friends and I do not follow the stardards of proper english when we talk on the internet.  We almost never capatialize the beginning letters of a sentence.  For example:

hey man, what's up?

The "hey" is not campitalized as "Hey" even though it should be.  Depending on the person you talk to, he or she may be more formal or informal with their punctuation.  Ultimately, "punctuation slag" is just as prominent as word slang and an outsider has to learn that United States teens do no play by the rules of the English language to any means.  Don't freak out if wierd punctuation is thrown out during online discussions!  Relax.  Take your time and look past the punctuation to the overall meaning of the sentence expressed.  See past the errors and flaws and put yourself in the shoes of a native English speaker and embrace rule-breaking when it applies :)

Other examples of punctuation-slang may include:

Hey!.  What's up?.  (A period is followed by each punctuation mark for artistic expression and originality with grammer.)

Hey!!  How are you!?  (Double punctuation is added for emphasis.  A !? is used to express confusion or concern in most cases.)

How's life been ... (The ... usually refers to expecting an answer from the person the message is being sent to.)  Or:

Yeah... I'm just hanging out... (The ... can be discerned as the person describing themself in a relaxed or bored state.  Or, they may just have a boring personality!)

I hope this helps anyone who has been thrown off by English-speakers online.  I know it's frustrating to get tested on grammer in schools and then have it not even apply to the English conversations your having, because English-speakers don't follow by the book when they're teenage and talking online (the majority of online discussion) but I urge you to take it in with a grain of salt.  School prepares you for many of the ways that this world is SUPPOSE to work but YOU need to experience it for yourself in order to develop a greater, real, and correct understanding of how things ACTUALLY work within the English culture.

Thanks for reading!.

-- joey.

Comments

debra c

debra c

Oman

Thanks for updating such a nice lesson.

Hope to learn more.

07:01 AM Nov 24 2012 |

maxauud

maxauud

Afghanistan

thank u very much…................Laughing

01:46 AM Feb 10 2010 |

khalda

Malaysia

Cryi want to learn more words and develop my self

03:54 PM Feb 06 2010 |

cabdijabaar alqaliij

Somalia

iam sorry becouse often times i don't read books

03:59 PM Feb 05 2010 |

BereNice

BereNice

Mexico

yees! good job, it helps

03:33 PM Jun 13 2008 |

fatheroflove

United Kingdom

thank u very much the u teach n make easy 2 unerstand by each other

09:15 PM May 12 2008 |

naseemIbrahim

Maldives

Thank You Its Intresting

12:06 PM Apr 28 2008 |

Tsheyel

Tsheyel

Bhutan

Joey you did a very good work.Keep it up!SmileLaughingWink

02:56 AM Apr 25 2008 |

spceialist

spceialist

Egypt

thank you

09:18 PM Apr 03 2008 |

izah

izah

Malaysia

thanks..

it really heps..

09:49 AM Apr 01 2008 |

Surekha P

India

Thank u.Smile

From now onwards let me follow the instruction of Punctuation.

08:28 AM Feb 12 2008 |

Macmillan

Macmillan

China

good ~~however I'll spend a lot of time studying it~

Laughing

09:30 AM Feb 10 2008 |

Surekha P

India

ya its great u have done a good job let me mark this

06:10 AM Jan 16 2008 |

Frannia