Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

About the English baby chat....

RASCALkid

RASCALkid

United States

I'm very much grateful about finding this web site which helps people to improve their english skill. I discovered it by means of just typing the word english in the search portion of my home page. From there, i went to english chat part and there i learned a lot. I learned how to think & type fast and I also learned many cultures and traditions from people all over the world. It's really amazing that you can now meet people from different countries by just a click on the computer. One thing i'm gratefull too about this chat is that it did not only improve my english skill but also taught me how to adjust to different people. It somehow change my attitude from being rascal to a bit rascal. And it all happened in just less than two weeks! I also found real persons here and they become my friends… i'm really glad and thankful for this site.

But sometimes i'm not satisfied or let me say i'm disappointed because lately and most of the times now, the people who chat were almost always boasting about their own native language. They couldn't help to publish their own language everytime they can see people from their own place. I can't blame them for doing that, but they must also consider other chatters who just want to improve their english skill because i think improving english language skill is the primary reason why this site was made. It's also good to see and be familiar with some foreign language other than english, but i think its not proper to published it in the main room most of the times. I think if we see fellow countrymen, then lets proceed to the private room and have a good chat there with our own language. Rather than publish our conversation in our own language in the main room. Lets also respect others who really want to learn english. I'm not saying that other language is of lesser degree than english, i know we all love our native language that we want everybody to  learn and be familiar with it, but i think its not proper to insist it to be known by publishing it most of the times at the chat main room. But if somebody would request us to do so, especially majority in the main chat room requested it, then maybe that's the time that we will publish it there. But if theres only one, then lets properly request him/her to go to the private and there we can talk.

One thing more is that, it seems that this chat is no longer for the reason of improving english but merely for FUN now. Almost everybody just want to have fun not minding already the right english that is supposed to be learned here. They are just there to have some friends, sex chat or anything rather than learn proper english. I must admit that im also not good in English especially during my first days, but i tried even with difficulty the best that i can do to publish the right english. Thinking that I'm not just helping myself but also other people who can read my published statement. I don't want to confuse other people about the bad english that i may publish especially people who just start to learn proper english. I'm not saying that im already very good in english, i'm really have still plenty of mistakes but i'm trying the best that i could do to make it without mistakes so that it can't confuse beginners.

So with these, i hope this will serve both as a reminder and inspiration to all chatters. And i reiterate my heartfelt thanks to the makers of this chat and to all my friends in the chat who helped me improve not only my english skill but also my personality as well. Though i did not changed totally but there's a mark change… for the better.. and i must continue to strive to be better…

"Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has courage to lose sight of the shore"

08:42 PM Aug 07 2006 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

bigmama

bigmama

Spain

Hello dear Rascal ,

I understand why you feel little dissapointed about speaking other languages in the chatroom. I'm sure many of us feel the same . Of course all languages are nice , I wish I could learn many of then !! I admire those who can speak three or more languages. But again , rules are rules and we must respect them.

We all must remember that English must be spoken there , that's the aim . 

Your English is really good Rascal ( good luck in your exam !!! ) and I have no doubt you will pass it with good marks .

I think we all can learn from each other … we can also help each other … we can share new words, expressions, meanings … there's so much we can do when we join the chatroom …learning , making friends and having fun showing respect all the time …

English Language and our chatroom are a kind of miracle …we can talk to anyone , no matter nationalities …people from any continent , any country …and one language for communication … wow …

"We are lead to express ourselves with honesty and clarity, while simultaneously paying others a respectful and empathic attention "   Marshall Rosemberg

09:53 PM Aug 07 2006 |

Tina Juan

Tina Juan

China

Hi, everyone! I am a new mwmber here! Nice to know you all from here and now! It's good to have this site and chat room to learn English. We can know more people and make friends with people from all over the world! I found this sit by chance today and I find that it is a good place for all the people who want to learn English or to improve English. Hope everyone has a good time here. As this is my first time here ,i know nothing about the things happend in chat room. But I hope everyone can enjoy the chatting here!

03:24 AM Aug 09 2006 |

RASCALkid

RASCALkid

United States

Dear Big Mama,

Thank you very much for your prompt and inspiring reply… I just hope chatters will find their time to visit this Forum part of this site too…so that they can have a better view of what is this site all about.

I would like to thank you personally for agreeing with me with my observations and also for helping me to build (more) my confidence about taking the exam. But of course i know i have to work out a lot about my english skill..as my would be english teacher told me that i still have to practice 'tremendously' with this english language especially the speaking part.

Again, i would like to convey my salute to you big mama, you're really a nice person… regards to your family.

RASCALkid

05:04 AM Aug 09 2006 |

RASCALkid

RASCALkid

United States

To all beginners and to all those who still have difficulty in learning right english:

Don't be easily disappointed or intimidated if your observation to yourself is still very low in english skill… I'm just like you… but let's just say i "rascally" continue to beat the odds and strive to learn this Language… i'm new to this country(US) and i must pass the english exams so that i can have my permit to work here…

If you want my help .. dont hesitate to approach me..lets learn this language together..

Agaguilarjr at yahoo dot com-my yahoo messenger

05:14 AM Aug 09 2006 |

Felice

Felice

Philippines

You're doing fine in your english, Rascalkid.

Your thought is fluid already.  My suggestion is reread your post here and take note of the errors, then correct it.  Soon, you'll have a polished english.  Keep on posting in the Forum because this is a good venue for writing and expressing our thoughts in english.

Good luck.

03:26 PM Aug 09 2006 |

RASCALkid

RASCALkid

United States

Thank you very much Felice, but i think i'll be more happy if you could find time to correct my statements which need some improvements…It will really be of big help to me if you will do it… thanks again and hope you're doing fine there and have an excellent health…regards to your family too

03:39 PM Aug 09 2006 |

Felice

Felice

Philippines

You're prompt with your reply, Rascalkid.  You're somewhere in Calisfornia, isn't it?  My gauge is the time of your reply to Forum.  It's 1:00 a.m. here, Thursday, and I know it's 9:00 a.m. there yesterday (Wednesday).  Am I right? 

Okay.  You allowed me to correct your statement.  You don't say "more happy" but happier; and not "most happy" but happiest.  It's in your english grammar textbook either for high school or college 

Another, you said "I just hope chatters…"  It should be chatterers which is noun.  The former is verb.  To be sure, always look up the words in the dictionary. 

Try to correspond with Mustafa of Ankara, Turkey.  He speaks good english and his english grammar is good.  I don't know him, though.  I just read his entry here earlier and I was impressed that's why I recommend him to other as a friend to learn english with.

Bye.

Bye.

05:10 PM Aug 09 2006 |

zars

zars

Mexico

Hi, I’m new to this website, as Ras did, I found this site when i was sailing on the net.
English started as a hobby for me but I must admit I really like it and wanna improve, that’s why I’m practicing all day long.
I agree with Ra’s comment and must say that it makes me go mad, cuz I honestly think that they’re wasting their time and making us waste ours.
However I know that I can do nothing to stop them, it’s up to them, so when I find someone good enough at english the less I can do is to take advantage of it.
Reading this topic, I realize some of you got a high english level, and I’d really like to talk to you in the chat, a pity that I still have not met you.

05:32 PM Aug 09 2006 |

RASCALkid

RASCALkid

United States

Wow! that's really nice of you to correct me for that felice … thank you very much!! i owe you you so much for that… it's a big help to me… hope you will see my other mistakes too, so that i can learn more..

But i would like to inform you that we're here in Illinois not in California…and thanks also for recommending Mustasa.. i'll try to contact him.

To zars: well, it's good too that we have the same observations about that chat… and you're right we can't do nothing about that… its their options… i must admit too that during my first days here and even until now i also indulge into that not so formal conversations there…but i'm not writing my native language… we would just hope that they will also try this forum where they can talk about more mature topics.

From where are you zars? If you woudn't mind, can you tell us more about your life? or more about your country, job, etc.

06:27 PM Aug 09 2006 |

zars

zars

Mexico

I am proudly from Mexico, I’m 23 years old, I just finished my career last year and now I’m working, I took some english courses but since 1 1/2 years ago I’m practicing and improving english by myself.
What I like to do in order to practice/improve is to chat for awhile, watch movies and listen songs, it really helps.
I kinda like the topics in this forum but I don’t like the way this forums is, I mean there are nicer and friendlier forums, anyway, I’ll try to keep posting up.

07:58 PM Aug 09 2006 |