Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

I want to learn cultures. Can you tell me ?

makifakat

makifakat

Turkey

your marriage.

your foods, drinks.

your birthday celebration.

your rites… etc.

so your life

06:34 PM Sep 03 2006 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

bigmama

bigmama

Spain

Hello makifakat ! 

I live in Vigo, a nice city in Pontevedra ( Galicia).

The calendar offers a lot of festivities and "romerías"(pilgrimage processions) almost from January to December.

The carnival, or"Entroido",fills the town centre with a colourful parade of floats and fancy dresses.

The Reconquista, the liberation of Vigo after the French occupation is celebrated on March 28.

Holy Week processions show the strong attachment to tradition.

The Semana Grande (Great Week) takes place around the first Sunday of August to honour the town's patron saint, Saint Mary (August 15).

There are music concerts at the Castrelos open-air auditorium from mid-July until the end of August.

And of course , there are gastronomics exaltation festivals: cherries in Beade(June), sardine festival in La Guía, corn bread festival in Cabral(August), octopus festival in Valadares.

But there is much more about festivals,custom and traditions in Spain.

Give a try in this site , please http://www.donquijote.org/

Greetings from here !!

04:00 PM Sep 05 2006 |

angelrays

Philippines

hello im from the philippines. my favourite holidays are christmas and new year. these  are the biggest holiday in my country. christmas in the phils. starts as soon as the  BER months begin( september to dcember)it is also celebrated nine days before christmas with a mass called "misa de gallo".  holloween in the phils. is celebrated on nov.1  instead of on dec.31 and we call it day of the dead since it is all saints day. during these days people go to cemeteries to light candles and pray for their departed loved ones. some would even stay all day and night  in there where families and friends get together as well.

there's more to say but i think its not going to fit in hereLaughing

05:36 AM Sep 23 2006 |

maniusia

maniusia

Poland

hello
i am from Poland and we have lot of custums
we have lot of holiday conected with our reliion (catholic) we have also some national holiday- we have off days:)
our marriage it is wait dress for women and suit or men and ceremoniny in the church and bridal dinner in night and dancing singing and lot of smile
our birthday it depends on people but in my family it is big dinner with all family we are talking long hours sometimes dancing and taking photos our 18 birthdays are special and we have big big party sometimes in club it is also depends
our food it is long hours need to talk about iy but every of my friend tels thet polish food is great we dring lot of tea juice and alkoholik drinks
if u want know something more write me
i want also want somethg about you country
take care

10:07 PM Sep 24 2006 |

sherryleio

sherryleio

China

Well, we are from the difference places around the world, and we have different cultural background, and if we want to know something about the cultures, then the best way is to know the ppl there…

Englishbaby is offering us a nice place, where we can know ppl all around the world, and exchange our views about the life and stuff we are passionate about.  I understand we can not claim we  know the culture after getting a superficial kowledge of that, but we will get to know something about that if we do have interest.  Just like most of foreigners know China and chinese culture by some Chinese movies, and media, when they think about China, men with pigtails, the great wall, the emperors, the birth-control, blah, blah, come to their minds…when they put their feet on the land of China, they start to realize that the real China does not match the images they had…China has modern cities, chinese teens also love Jeans and hip-hop, walking in the streets in Beijing or Shanghai, or Shenzhen the city I am living, like any modern cities in the world, they can find most of things they need…

So, we need to know the ppl there, and we need to have passionate and real interest if we do want to know the cultures of another country or place. 

You can drop me a line if you want to know something about China, and I am very happy to write you back, and we can exchange our views and life experience, or anything we are interested via emails, or here is good place too, only if it does not bother others. 

Stay cool, and take care.

08:48 AM Sep 25 2006 |

sherryleio

sherryleio

China

Btw, I am interested in Egypt, and visiting Pyramids is one of my dreams I have had for long, and I am thinking I should be able to make it happen in two years…hope so,  ;-)

So if any one from Egypt is interested in telling me about their amazing country and the ppl, the life, ...just write to me, hope you can buy me one cup of coffee when I go there, ha ha…that's sweet.    Bye for now, guys.

09:09 AM Sep 25 2006 |

makifakat

makifakat

Turkey

We are Ramadan Month, now. Ramadan is holy time for Muslims.

Ramadan is the ninth month of Hijri (Islamic) calendar. It is considered the most venerated, blessed and holiest month. Prayers, fasting, self-accountability and charity have special association with Ramadan. The religious observances of Ramadan occur throughout the entire Islamic calendar month.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramadan

pictures:

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/ramadan-praying.jpg

http://www.biharanjuman.org/images/iftar_3.jpg

http://www.hanimlar.com/image/yazi_img/teravih2.jpg

http://individual.utoronto.ca/farhan/farhan.ca/eid_2002_files/1039149866.3825238097.jpg

08:01 PM Sep 25 2006 |