Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

What would you do when your friend cries?

Joeyshin

Joeyshin

United States

How will you handle this?—I once had an adult friend cried right in front of me, that kind of silent cry, tears all over, more like weeping actually. We were in a cemetery when it happened. He was fine in the beginning, calm and humorous. Then he lost control of his emotion after we found his father’s tomb stone. I was totally unprepared, and was so shocked. It was sad … I turned my head away, couldn’t stand looking at his face. But I didn’t say nothing … I wanted to comfort him somehow … but don’t know how and what to say

09:09 PM Jul 01 2001 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

mameow

mameow

Thailand

Joeyshin,
This is a hard situation. I’m not sure what I would say if I were you…I’m not very good at consoling people. It depends too on what your friend was crying over. You didn’t give much info but I suppose it was about his father’s death. Maybe…you can say something like “Don’t be sad. He’s in heaven and he will always be in your heart” (sorry if it was about something else). But you know, sometimes just sitting there quietly and holding your friend’s hand without saying anything can be a great consolation and encouragement for sad people. At least, that worked with me.

Hope you friend will be fine soon.
Mameow

03:45 PM Jul 03 2001 |

Joeyshin

Joeyshin

United States

Thanks for the advice, Mameow! My friend never really told me why he was so sad, I never asked either.

02:52 PM Jul 04 2001 |

luym

Brazil

You know, I had an experience like yours, but in my case I was the one who was crying. And to tell you the truth, I didn’t want my friend to say anything. There was nothing he could say to comfort me. He showed sympathy for my sorrow, and that was enough.
Regards,
Lu. (Brazil)

06:01 PM Nov 13 2001 |

thewackyguy

Brazil

Yeah I agree with Lu (I’m from brazil too Lu, what city are you from?)..

I think the best thing to do when you go through this kind of situation is stay in silence.. that’s what I would do, and then maybe after the person is feeling a little better, maybe you should say some nice words… it’s a hard situation… i dont think somebody really knows how to deal with it…

04:25 AM Nov 19 2001 |

Sabrinny

Sabrinny

Brazil

In my case it happens with every friends of mine. They feel sad and so they come talk to me about their problems and I always try to help them. This situation is very bad for me because sometimes I don't know how to say somethings and then i feel sad. I think i help my friends because they can talk and hear good words to me. Wink

04:37 PM Dec 18 2007 |