Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Differences of your character between when you speak English or your native language.

chocho317

chocho317

Japan

Hello, everyone.

Here is my question.

Do you feel any differences of your character when you speak English, compared with your native language? 

I think I am not the same when I talk to foreigners compared with people who live my country, becauce we have difference cultures.

How about you? 

07:53 AM Mar 02 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

airsea123

China

oh it is very cool ,indeedly there are many differences which are very defficult  of speaking english.we call chinese english,in fact people speaking english  can understand.

02:47 PM Mar 02 2008 |

chocho317

chocho317

Japan

Thank you, airsea123.

We call Japanese English, or  Japanglish. 

02:57 PM Mar 02 2008 |

Black pearl

Jordan

mmmm,yeah i feel some of strange Undecided

03:06 PM Mar 02 2008 |

airsea123

China

LaughingLaughingLaughing

12:14 PM Mar 03 2008 |

FF`crack!

FF`crack!

Lithuania

of course i feel some differences. and as quorax already said,when we speak in our native language we can better express ourself.express our feelings,views,opinions and so on.but when we speak in a foreigner language,sometimes we can just keep silent for that reason,that we simply can't say something in a proper way.

01:03 PM Mar 03 2008 |

cancerh236

cancerh236

Viet Nam

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaa im damn agree with u Anna…too INTRICATE….when u mentioned about the changing with your character…i thought that might be the way you talk…the intonation…and even the voice with different pronuciation….huh i got just that trouble….but about CULTURE….umm really be another topic….so um…i have no idea…

07:02 PM Mar 03 2008 |

nader1212

nader1212

Germany

and I ,too
I observe a difference in my character when I speak in English
thank you for this great topic

10:03 PM Mar 03 2008 |

chocho317

chocho317

Japan

Thank you all.

Black pearl, quorax, FF'crack, AnnaMolly, cacerh236, nader1212, blitzkrieq 

11:09 AM Mar 04 2008 |

aileench

aileench

China

when I speak english, my brain have to search and search for the english words i have known..haha…

11:23 AM Mar 04 2008 |

FF`crack!

FF`crack!

Lithuania

I agree with blitzkrieq.Different cultures do not play a vital role in attempting to find a common language with the person whose nationality is not the same as yours.Another question if you don't know how to do this because of your vocabulary

05:56 AM Mar 05 2008 |