Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

English Mistakes

lizz-is-me

lizz-is-me

Germany

OK, here are a few mistakes that you should not make.

(1) "ain't"Do not use this word. It is not a proper English word, you will just sound ignorant. The correct word to use is "aren't".

(2) "is" and "are"-Please take care when using these words. Do not mix them up. The word "is" is a singular word, and the word "are" is a plural word. Example: She is going to the mall. They are going to the mall. An exception to this is the word "you"Example: You are very nice.

(3) "alot" Although you will find many English speakers using this term, it is incorrect. A lot is a piece of property, and should not be used to describe the quantity of something. The correct terms to be used are words such as "much" and "many".

Thank you for reading.

-Lizz

11:55 PM Mar 13 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Dissipator

Dissipator

Ukraine

M. Augustus
Thank you for your posts… You set my mind at rest because sometimes I use "ain't" myself and often I prefer to say "a lot" instead of "many". But when Her Majesty Queen recieves me I try to watch my words. LaughingWink

07:58 AM Mar 14 2008 |

Minh

Viet Nam

Mr Augustus and Lizz! Thank you very much! I have learnt much from you. God bless you!

10:05 AM Mar 14 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Augustus gets to the heart of the "prescriptive" vs "descriptive" arguement. Do you teach English as it SHOULD be used or as it actually IS used.

Ain't isn't good formal English, but it's used by many English speakers, even if only in informal speech. Therefore, learners should at the very least know to recognize it and know the meaning even if they don't use it themselves.

A lot is simply correct English. It is not incorrect to say "There are a lot of English learners on Ebaby," meaning there are MANY English learners here. 

10:10 AM Mar 14 2008 |

yana011

yana011

Philippines

thanks for the sharing lizz and mr.augustus! useful indeed. ;) anyway shardzy dont comment on mr augustus if you dont know him well. he just want to share some of his knowledge to others.  he just got pissed of the magic word "ignoramuses".;) i think.

11:12 AM Mar 14 2008 |

the one

the one

Saudi Arabia

thanx lizz

02:48 PM Mar 14 2008 |

lizz-is-me

lizz-is-me

Germany

Thank you to everybody that offered support. If anybody ever needs help with English I would be more than happy to help.

04:44 PM Mar 14 2008 |

vol

China

Despite the fact that M.august has ruled the world over Lizz, i do believe that Lizz is a most nice girl who is offerring these informative notes as you can tell from her avatar how cuuute and beauuutiful she is.Embarassed

i also want to learn more about ,as M.august said, "avoid placing a preposition at the end of a clause, even if the result sounds absolutely ridiculous" .  i ,too, myself don't have any exact ideas about the rules as to when to place a preposition at the end of a clause. if i didn't place one at the end, how ridiculous it would be?

06:07 PM Mar 14 2008 |

M. Augustus

United States

Leaving a preposition at the end of a sentence or clause, where it appears to lack an object, is considered by prescriptive grammar to be a poor construction.

Examples:

What is that book about

Where do you come from?

That it something I will not put up with. 

In very formal English, such constructions should be avoided, but a non-native speaker who takes this rule too much to heart is liable to end up with such beastliness as Winston Churchill (allegedly) derided: "This is the sort of English up with which I will not put."

In informal english, it's VERY common to end a sentence with a preposition, especially in questions and when the prepositions form part of an established verbal phrase.  (to put up with: to tolerate.)   

The rule on split infinitives is of similar caliber – you should not do it, according to the prescriptivists (who in this instance model their objection on Latin, it would seem), but it is often done.  (Personally, I like the rhythm of the unsplit infinitive in most instances; eg, "Boldy to go where no man has gone before" sounds better to me than "To Boldy go…" etc; but I don't acknowledge it as a legitimate rule.)

06:22 PM Mar 14 2008 |

M. Augustus

United States

I mean, etymologically it is derived from OE 'hlot', which is associated more with the casting of lots to determine people's properties.  But as I understand it, it's had the expanded sense of 'many' for a long, long time.   I don't have the OED handy, but I'm sure it's at least a century old, and probably more.  And the descriptivists would say that if large numbers of people have been using the word that way for over 100 years, it's English.

03:28 PM Mar 15 2008 |