Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Why some countries have so much prejudice on China?

aileench

aileench

China

Can anybody tell me why? but please be honest…

China isn't doing best, but China is improving, developing and changing….

09:52 AM Mar 26 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

aljensen

aljensen

United States

As I understand it, the Dalai Lama has been asking the rioters to stop their violence. But I have not been really following this situation very closely. the Tibet situation was actually more widely reported in Korea, where  I was, than in the United States. As you may know, we have an election coming up, and also there is both an energy and an economic crisis going on now. So most of the media's attention is really focused on internal issues. 

There is a big difference between saying that the media has a bias or makes mistakes, and saying that the media is outright lying. However, I must say that the Chinese government has made a public relations error in banning all outside media from Tibet. They could have carefully picked some media outlets from the West that would have been sympathetic to their position, and sent them in to do reporting. Even Saddam Hussein let foreign correspondents into his country, and carefully fed them information to bias things in his favor.  Shutting down access to the area looks suspicious, even if there is nothing to be suspicious about. 

08:01 PM Mar 31 2008 |

aljensen

aljensen

United States

Why can’t? they’re from China, their homeland is in China, wherever they go their heart is in China(east or west, home is the best). That’s very normal thing.. I don’t know why it’s so strange to you.

It's extremely strange. It might not make much sense to you Aileench, but coming from a nation of immigrants it can be distressing to see recent arrivals claim that their old country is their homeland, while demanding that their adopted country treat them as equal citizens with equal protection under the law.  For one thing, it provides quite  a lot of ammunition to nationalists who want to keep foreigners (particularly non-Western foreigners) out of their countries. Although, I am sure at the protests the participants must have been the more extreme Chinese-Canadians (or even Chinese students studying abroad) rather than the average Chinese Canadian who must think of Canada as their home. 

08:16 PM Mar 31 2008 |

aileench

aileench

China

Actually, the Dalai Lama has stated that he does not intend to split Tibet from China. What's your problem with that?

Not intend to split Tibet? Well, the riot explained everything.

1. If China doesn't want ANY outside countries interfering, that means BOTH in favor of its policies AND against. No picking and choosing. Unless your government is lying. China doesn’t want any outside countries interfere the internal politics, that’s very SURE. It doesn’t matter however those countries criticize China, But NOT on support DL. If they support DL, Then it is interfering china’s internal affair..very OBVIOUS!

You don't need to believe me. That's what it says on the website YOU recommended. Check it for yourself. So, the question now is, why do YOU think your government is lying to you?

Did I say I believe in you, I don’t know what makes you think of that, And I have a questions also, why you think that I think our gov is lying to us? I cannot say that our gov never lying to us, but I also cannot say our gov is lying to us and I did not say it. If my words has led your misunderstandings..then pls forgive me for my POOR ENGLINSH.

2. That's a direct quote from the website YOU recommended. Why did you recommend this website as a bastion of truth and then call it just what I think? You're talking nonsense!

Im talking nonsense? I guess you did not get the idea how do we started this topic! You want the standards about the china human rights, so I show you, now Im becoming nosense, how funny it is!! BUT one thing we can tell that we Chinese have enough rights in China and we know what should we to do and what we shouldn’t to do. QUOTE: The starters? I think the idea of Tibetan independence started way before the CIA was founded.UNQUOTE, so that’s not what you think?!

3. My point is that aren't those people who take Canadian citizenship supposed to Canadian citizens rather than Chinese citizens?

They’re Canadian citizenship, but that doesn’t mean they cannot love china, support china, that’s theirs right! The most important is they know China is doing a right thing.

Eunice – Good point. Why would foreigners come to a country they hate?

Really good point, Im curious about this also, why foreigners stay in a country that they hated!!! Since you think china is not good, china has no human rights, then why you still live in China? If China has no human rights, then how could you speak here and shout”free Tibet”?!! Have you think the matter thoroughly use your”intelligent”brain?!

Again to Mark, IF ANY OF MY WORDS HAS MILED YOU, PLEASE FORGIVE MY POOR ENGLISH, COZ I DO NOT SPEAKING ENGLISH WELL. PLEASE DO NOT THINK I BELIEVE IN YOU, COZ ON THIS ISSUE, I WILL NEVER NEVER ON YOUR SIDE UNTILL YOU GOT SOME REAL IDEA ABOUT CHINA. 

To Aljensen: Of course it’s very clearly that they have to be loyalty to their current homeland, But that doesn’t mean they cannot support their former homeland, no one like them there knowing much about China. If China is doing wrong, they surely will not support China.

11:27 AM Apr 15 2008 |

aljensen

aljensen

United States

Really good point, Im curious about this also, why foreigners stay in a country that they hated!!! Since you think china is not good, china has no human rights, then why you still live in China? If China has no human rights, then how could you speak here and shout”free Tibet”?!! Have you think the matter thoroughly use your”intelligent”brain?!

Aileench, obviously Eunice Ho's point was that not ALL foreigners think the same. Who thinks that China is no good? Do ALL foreigners think that way? Do I think that way? No.  You should reference some statistics and surveys before you make claims on how all non-Chinese people think. Your thinking is too primitive. You treat all foreigners as if they were the same. How would you like it if I said that all Asian people were the same? How would you like it if I said that Chinese people and Japanese people were the same? Or that Vietnamese and Koreans are the same? They are not the same. There are a great many differences between countries, and it seems like you ignore that.

02:29 PM Apr 15 2008 |

aileench

aileench

China

Aljensen: I know NOT all the foreigners think the same and I DID NOT say that all the foreigners are all the same. there are many foreigners support China, I see it. Why can't you understand my setence? why can't you understand whom I am talking to? Did I not make it clear enough? then please tell me how should I write the sentence clearly enough? I don't mind you correct my mistakes in using english, you know.. Thank you in anticipation.

For sure, I have never travelled to a foreign country , but I have foreign friends not only from the internet but from the reality world. and My uncle is a foreigner who has taken a good care of me for many years in Beijing.

so, did I blame all the foreigners? if I blame ALL the foreigners that means I blame all my friends and my dear uncle. I WON'T DO THAT.

HOPE I MADE IT CLEAR THIS TIME.

03:11 PM Apr 15 2008 |

aljensen

aljensen

United States

Sorry!!! Embarassed

03:20 PM Apr 15 2008 |

aljensen

aljensen

United States

Why some countries have so much prejudice on China? Can anybody tell me why? but please be honest…China isn't doing best, but China is improving, developing and changing….

Why do some countries have so much prejudice against China? Can anybody tell me why? Please be honest…China isn’t perfect, but it’s improving, developing and changing.

04:25 PM Apr 15 2008 |

aljensen

aljensen

United States

Thanks for your reply…

Hekmer, well, you really use a lot of chinese products… For Jackie CHAN, I have to say that I have never met him except on the TV show or in the moives… you know celebrities are not easy show up..haha..anyway, I'll pass your words when I have chance meet him…Tongue out

Kanaobi, you're right..I think the goverment should propagandized more about China instead of block the bad news from other western medias ..

LearnSmart, thanks, I confirm you did not hurt my feelings.. China has never want to eat the world…but it seems that western wants to eat China…We Chiese love peace, just want peaceful life..that's all…

Thanks for your reply…

Hekmer, well, you really use a lot of chinese products… As for Jackie CHAN, I have to say that I have never met him except on the TV show or in the moives… you know celebrities don't show up every day..haha..anyway, I'll pass your words on when I have chance meet him…Tongue out

Kanaobi, you're right..I think the goverment should propagandize (no "d") more about China instead of blocking the negative news from  Western media (no "S")

LearnSmart, thanks, I confirm you did not hurt my feelings.. China has never wanted to eat the world…but it seems that the West (a noun, not an adjective) wants to eat China…We Chniese love peace, we just want a peaceful life..that's all…

04:29 PM Apr 15 2008 |

aljensen

aljensen

United States

Hi guilaum, first thanks for your reply.

I feel sad that you know China just from the media. I think you must knew the fake news that some countries(Im sorry to say that your country is among them) have (countries is plural form, right?) reported about China in recent days and it has (present perfect) offended the whole of China!

Yes, it is true, the Chinese media is controlled, it is very annoying..but how about other countries media? don't you think they are (don't use a double negative) controlled? and look what those media (media is never plural) has reported recently. Totaly fake news! When I saw that, I could say that I forgave the Chinese media.

Human rights, yeah, that's the question worth to argue about. Some Westerners always thinks of themselves (plural!) as the leader of global human rights. they want human rights according to their standards. when there's riots some where, they immediately jump up and began to shout "human rights" (direct reported speech), even they don't know what's really going on there. They cannot see the riots, they cannot see the injured people, what they see is only human rights. They forget one thing, different countries has different cultures, they cannot judge a country by their own standards. They think those people dont' have human rights, but have they researched? have they asked those people's opinion? When they propagandize human rights, they forget human rights!

!

04:36 PM Apr 15 2008 |

aljensen

aljensen

United States

you must know the fake news that some countries…

Human rights, yeah, that's the question worth arguing about…

04:52 PM Apr 15 2008 |