Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

science.... vs .... Bible ......and ......Qur'an

monatta

monatta

Saudi Arabia

can science help us in our decision  ........  for who is intrested  . read the following :

THE BIBLE GETS COSMOLOGY COMPLETELY WRONG!  

Genesis 1:3-5 There was evening and morning one day. This statement indicates that the first thing created was the day and night. However, we know that day and night would come after the existence of the sun and through its rise and set. However, verse 14 from the same chapter indicates that the sun was created on the fourth day, God made two great lights, the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. Genesis 1:11 states that vegetations, plants yielding seed, and fruit trees were created on the third day: But we know that vegetations and plants could not grow without sun, while Genesis 1:16 tells us that the sun was created on the fourth day. Moreover, Genesis Chapter 2 contradicts the first chapter. The first chapter has stated that vegetations and plants and the trees were created on the third day, before the creation of man, who was created on the sixth day; however, Genesis Chapter 2:5-9 tells us that man was created before vegetation and plants

Moreover, Genesis 1:14-19 describes the creation of the sun, moon and stars on the fourth day, after the creation of the earth on the third day. Our modern knowledge of the formation of the solar system does not allow us to state that the sun, moon, and stars came into being after the creation of the earth. Scientists tell us that stars eventually exploded and recondensed over numerous cycles, forming the heavy elements that LATER condensed into the earth.

VS

THE QURAN GETS COSMOLOGY COMPLETELY CORRECT!

THE BIG BANG CAME FIRST According to scientists, the big bang is how the universe began.

Quran 21:30 Do not those who disbelieve see that the heavens and the earth were joined together, but we have opened them. Translation M.H. Shakir, Yusaf Ali

THEN CAME A VAPOR/GAS THAT WAS DESTINED TO BE THE HEAVENS AND THE EARTH DURING THIS OPEN STATE – Scientists tell us that after the big bang, plasma formed and later cooled to gases (helium and hydrogen).

Quran 41:11 Moreover, he directed himself to the heaven and it was a vapor. Yusaf Ali

THE CREATION OF THE HEAVENS: Scientists tell us that eventually, the gases condensed into stars.

Quran 41:12 So he ordained them seven heavens in two periods, and revealed in every heaven its affair; and We adorned the lower heaven with brilliant stars and made it to guard; that is the decree of the Mighty, the knowing. Translation M.H. Shakir

THE EXPANSION OF THE UNIVERSE
Scientists claim that the universe is expanding.

Quran 51:47 With power and skill did we construct the heaven: For it is we who expand the vastness of Space. -Translation Yusaf Ali, Maurice Bucaille

EARTH IS COMPLETED AFTER THE HEAVENS – Scientists tell us that stars eventually exploded and recondensed over numerous cycles, forming the heavy elements that LATER condensed into the earth.

Quran 79:27-30 Are you the harder to create or the heaven? He made it. He raised high its height, then put it into a right good state. And he made dark its night and brought out its light (i.e. stars). And the earth, he expanded it AFTER that. -Translation M.H. SHAKIR

SCIENCE 102) THE BIBLE SAYS THE EARTH IS FLAT!

Isaiah 11:12  
And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel , and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH. (KJV)

Revelation 7:1
And after these things I saw four angels standing on FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree. (RSV) 

Luke 4:5 The devil led him up to a high mountain and showed him in an instant all the kingdoms of the world. (NIV) Jesus is said to be capable of seeing all the Kingdoms of Earth from the top of a really tall place. Of course, this would be impossible if the Earth was spherical. Christopher Columbus almost suffered a mutiny in the 15th century because his crew feared falling over the edge of the Earth.

VS

THE QURAN SAYS THE EARTH IS ROUND!

Quran, 79:30: God created heaven, and after that he round shaped the earth. -Translation M.H. Shakir

The Arabic word being translated here Dahaha is translated as "expand;" however, it has another meaning in the Arabic language and that is round shaped or egg shaped.

SCIENCE 103) THE BIBLE SAYS THE SUN IS MOVING AROUND THE EARTH

"He set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved.  (From the NIV Bible, Psalm 104:5)

"The sun rises and the sun sets, and hurries back to where it rises.  (From the NIV Bible, Ecclesiastes 1:5)

"And the sun stood still…So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day." (From the NIV Bible, Joshua 10:13 ) This verse reports that the sun stood still so Joshua could finish all of his killing before darkness came. This implies that the sun had to have been moving in the first place in order for it to in any way come to a stop

Then the prophet Isaiah called upon the Lord, and the Lord made the shadow go back the ten steps it had gone down on the stairway of Ahaz. (From the NIV Bible, 2 Kings 20:11 ) An equally ridiculous notion in the Bible is that the sun went backwards 10 degrees on the sundial one day – again implying that the sun moved, stopped, reversed, stopped, then proceeded forward again.

Not only does the Bible support a moving sun – it was simply common sense. Only a fool would look up at the sky and say that the sun did not move! These phenomena are simply due to Earth?s rotation and NOT by Sun?s rotation. Sun is stationary for Earth, because earth is stuck in the sun?s Gravity, like we are stuck in earth?s gravity. Does the bible ever mention that the earth or any other planet rotates, like the Quran does? The answer regrettably for Christians and Jews is no.

VS

THE QURAN SAYS THE EARTH IS ROTATING

Quran, 21:33

"It is He Who created the Night and the Day, and the sun and the moon: all (the celestial bodies) rotate (falak), each in their celestial spheres." Yusaf Ali, M.H. Shakir

The Arabic word "falak" used for planets and planets' movements in Verse 21:33 means rotation or movement. The Quran states that all celestial bodies including the earth rotate.?

this article is from this site :

http://www.why-christians-convert-to-islam.com

09:48 PM Apr 12 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

SantiagoC

SantiagoC

Uruguay

the biggest difference about Bible and Quoran is that Quoran is a laws book, Blble is an artistical book, it is a metaphore, interpretable.

02:42 AM Jun 20 2009 |

majusaka!

majusaka!

China

OO dont understand… Qur'an?

08:11 AM Jun 20 2009 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

u caught one of its sides Santiago,

at all events, u get what others can't…....goodCool

09:18 AM Jun 20 2009 |

SantiagoC

SantiagoC

Uruguay

Without no knowdelage? lol…

I will tell you something. In my country, Uruguay, we are FREE and we study a lot about everything, including the bible and the quoran. I can't say the same about you. They wash your minds about everything and you are like annoying robots repeating everything. In my country, hopefully, we can have a life, and we don't need to be all day long in the coumputer making advertisments to Islam :)

12:38 PM Jun 20 2009 |

SantiagoC

SantiagoC

Uruguay

they never washed our brains, I see that your brain is indeed washed about religions

Look, Muslim countries are not free enough for you to tell so.

Maybe, if you are smart enough to see where Uruguay is, you will see that it is one of the freest countries in the world. We can do whatever we want. Even becoming muslim. I can find quorans whenever i want. And we can read it, 'cause uruguayan are all literate.

Abrahamic religion will never be together, cause muslim wanna the world to be musim, and want other religions to dissapear, and you can not deny it.

I am not a stupid little boy, honey. I am smart enough to see reality and I live in a society that i can do whatever i want, I can experiment whatever i want, it make me have more experience about life and people ;) I am not selfish enough to say i am inteligent, as you are, cause in your profile i see you say you are smart. 

You can't listen to others, whatever a person of another religion say is denyed. If I would say 'I am a muslim' You would tell me that i am so smart and inteligent and so on.. But I show me as I am, so I am criticazed by so closed people like you. I am so sorry, but I won't change.

01:10 PM Jun 20 2009 |

SantiagoC

SantiagoC

Uruguay

What a behaviour?

Muslim can say bad things about my religion and my culture anytime they want!

But if we say bad things about muslim! what would happen? The same that happened in Denmark! ;)

01:38 PM Jun 20 2009 |

catsarepretty

Canada

Hi monatta! :)

I am very interested in this topic, and would be happy to discuss what I think from a Christian point of view.  I think you brought up some important topics for discussion about the Bible and the Qu'ran.  Regardless of our religious differences, we're all seeking Truth (many of us believe we've found it too!) and so I think it's great that we can discuss these important issues.

In my post, I am going to focus on the concerns expressed about the Bible rather than anything concerning the Qu'ran.  I’m not trying to convince any Muslims that the Qu'ran is not true (as the Qu’ran says, “there is no compulsion in religion” and I believe only God can lead a person in that way), but my purpose for writing is to defend the Bible in hopes that my Muslim friends (and anyone else reading) might give the Bible and what it says serious consideration.

I’m not a scholar or anything like that, but I have studied some on the the Biblical account of creation, and can address some of these concerns.

About the creation issue with the sun and also about Biblical creation in general, I highly recommend reading the following article that is written by an astrophysicist who is also a Christian.

He explains my viewpoint which I would try to explain to you so much better than I could.  This is not an explanation that all Christians will agree on (there’s several possible explanations since obviously none of us were there when it happened), but it is one possible explanation and personally this is the explanation that I agree with.

He explains the difference between two streams of thought on Biblical creation ("Old Earth Creation" and "Young Earth Creation"....I happen to be an "old earth creationist" myself), and he directly addresses the issue about the sun being mentioned on the fourth day.

Here's the link to a PDF file to a Bible study on the book of Genesis.  The article that I am talking about begins on page 13 and it continues to page 18 (so, scroll down to page 13 to begin reading).

http://www.wildwoodchurch.org/Bible%20Studies/Genesis%20Study.pdf

I don't have the author's permission to post the whole article here, but here is what he says about the sun on the fourth day:

At first glance, the answer to the 3rd question, “Is the order of creation consistent with current scientific ideas,” may seem to be “no.” After all, in the creation account both light and plants appear before the sun, which seems to totally contradict all modern scientific idea. But the key to understanding the story of creation is to notice the perspective described in Genesis. The story of creation must be told from the perspective of someone who was there at the creation. It must be told from God’s perspective. Most people think that God’s perspective would be from outside the universe looking in, but that is not the case. Genesis itself tells where God is and what his perspective is. Genesis 1:2 states, “And the earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep; and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters.” The Spirit of God is moving, or hovering, over the surface of the waters. He is near the surface of the earth. The story of creation is told from God’s perspective, on the surface of the planet earth, not from out in the universe looking down at the planet earth. We must interpret the events of the six days of creation from God’s perspective on the surface of the earth.

On day one, God said “let there be light” and light appeared on the surface of the earth. The Hebrew word “bara,” which means to create something that hasn’t existed, is not used in this verse. Nothing new was created on this day. Instead, light appeared on the surface of the earth so that daytime could be distinguished from night time. Before day one, atmospheric and interplanetary debris filled the sky so that it was always dark on the surface of the earth. However, as that debris settled, the sky began to clear. Instead of being completely dark all the time on the surface of the earth, you could now distinguish daytime from night time. But like a cloudy day, you could still not see the sun, moon or stars. God calls the light “day” and he calls the darkness “night.” We now have days and nights that are distinguishable on the surface of the earth. The Biblical record of day one completely agrees with the scientific record regarding one of the first events on the early earth. The sky changed from being completely opaque, allowing no light to reach the surface of the earth, to being translucent, allowing light to reach the surface, but still not clear enough to see the heavenly bodies that existed in outer space.

On day four, the sun, moon, and stars appear in the sky. Armed with the knowledge that the story is told from this perspective on the surface of the earth, the mystery of why the sun and moon appear on day four when light appeared on day one can be resolved. It is because the sun, moon, and stars first appeared to someone on the earth on day four even though they had been created by God when he created the heavens and the earth in verse 1. But because the earth had an atmosphere that resembled that of a cloudy day, they could not be seen on its surface until day four. Notice that the Bible does not say that God actually created the lights on day four. It says, “God said, ‘Let there be lights in the expanse….’” Dr. Scofield affirms this idea in his Bible notes that describe the appearance of light on day one, “(1:3) Neither here [the appearance of light] nor in vv. 14-18 [the appearance of the sun, moon, and stars] is an original creative act implied. A different word is used. The sense is made to appear, made visible. The sun and the moon were created ‘in the beginning.’ The light came from the sun, of course, but the vapor diffused the light. Later the sun appeared in an unclouded sky.”

I HIGHLY recommend reading the whole thing.  He goes into a lot of depth and his explanation about how science fits with the creation account in the Bible is quite fascinating.

But if you look at it from this perspective, then, yes, plants could have easily existed on Earth before the clouds surrounding Earth broke apart because there was a degree of light getting through before the fourth day.  And according to this scientist, there is evidence that plant life did indeed exist while the earth was completely covered in clouds!

Concerning what seemingly appears to be a contradiction between when man was created versus when vegetation was created, you have to read it carefully but there is not a contradiction.  The first creation account in Genesis 1:1-2:3 is an overview of all 7 days of creation, but then the second creation account given starting in Genesis 2:4 focuses on the creation of man in day 6 and goes into greater detail than the first account.  There is a gap of time between where it talks in verses 5 and 6 about there being nothing but a mist on the planet and when God creates Adam in verse 7.  Plants, animals, etc. are created in that gap as we see in the first creation account, but it’s not mentioned, in the 2nd creation account in the gap of time between verses 6 and 7, simply because this account is focusing on man.  

The mention of plants in verse 2:9 which says “And out of the ground the Lord God caused to grow every tree that is pleasing to the sight and good for food…” is not talking about the general creation of plants (they were already created), but God causing all sorts of fruit trees to grow in the garden of Eden after creating man.  For Genesis 2:8 says, “And the Lord God planted a garden toward the east, in Eden; and there He placed the man whom He had formed.”  But notice that here it says nothing about the original creation of plants.

The Bible actually has many verses indicating that the earth is round.  Consider these verses:

Job 26:10: “He has inscribed a circle on the surface of the waters
         At the boundary of light and darkness.”

Proverbs 8:27: “When He established the heavens, I was there,
         When He inscribed a circle on the face of the deep,”

Isaiah 40:22: “It is He who sits above the circle of the earth,
         And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers,
         Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain
         And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in.”

A lot of people argue that it says “circle” instead of “sphere” so the Bible must be suggesting that the earth is still flat but round.  But it is important to realize that there was no Hebrew word for “sphere” at the time, so circle was the closest thing they could use.  However, now that we know that the earth is a sphere, these verses still make perfect sense and fit perfectly into the context of science.

As to the other verses mentioned, the term “four corners of the earth” is to me a figure of speech meaning “all the earth” or “all four directions in the earth” and not meant to be taken literally. It’s the same kind of deal when you read “ends of the earth” which appears a lot in the Bible but it clearly means “everywhere on the earth” if read in context.  In the case of Revelation about the angels he saw, I believe what he means is one going in each of the four cardinal directions, but so much stuff in Revelation is symbolic and like I said I am not a Bible scholar so it’s hard for me to tell.   

As a native speaker I wouldn’t read those verses in English and infer that the author thought that the earth was flat.  I would assume he was making a figure of speech about the expanse of the earth.  I wish I knew the Greek or Hebrew…then I could tell you what the original translation says. 

Luke 4:5 is one of those mysteries that can’t be explained but we accept on faith, but I should note that not all translations of the Bible in English mention a mountain (the NASB and the ESV for example say that the devil “led Jesus up” but makes no mention of a mountain).  So either there wasn’t a mountain involved and Jesus was taken to a place where he could literally see all the kingdoms, or Jesus being able to see all the kingdoms was some kind of miracle from uptop a mountain (the Bible does say that the devil can perform miracles too).  Whether the Earth is round or flat (which obviously we all know it is round), there was no way Jesus could see all of the kingdoms without a miracle.

Finally, about the earth being still, when I read in the Bible verses that say “He set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved” (I think it’s in a few different places in the Psalms and maybe somewhere in Job), it’s not saying that the earth doesn’t spin around on an axis (sure it does…He created day and night in Genesis).  You could also interpret it that the earth is not going to fall apart (yay for gravity).  The earth does maintain its shape doesn’t it? 

Here’s some other translations of the same verse (Psalm 104:50):

“He established the earth upon its foundations,
         So that it will not totter forever and ever.” (NASB)

(If you read NASB which many believe is the most literal English translation of the Bible, it does explicitly make mention that the earth at present rotates on an axis!)

“Who laid the foundations of the earth, that it should not be removed for ever” (KJV)

“He established the earth on its foundations;
    it will never be shaken.” (HCSB)

When I read all the different translations, I think that this verse is talking not about whether or not the Earth literally stands still in the universe but the fact that God is sovereign and, because He created the earth and all things, He is in complete control of the earth’s fate.

About the instances in Isaiah and in Joshua where the sun “stands still”.  We believe those are Old Testament miracles performed by God.  You believe in miracles, right?  Sure, the sun seemingly “stood still”...from the perspective of those on the earth who wrote Joshua and Isaiah (though the verse in Isaiah never says that it was the sun that moved…it just says that the shadow moved…the lends equal support to the fact that it was the earth that moved).

Finally, Ecclesiastes…  I don’t think Solomon wrote this to make a scientific claim about whether the sun or the Earth moves, especially since it’s written in poetic language and he personifies the sun in the 2nd half of the verse (common in poetic writing).  Think about it… you and I talk about “the sun rising”, “the sun setting”, “sunrises”, and “sunsets” all the time in English.  But just because we use that terminology, does it mean that we really believe that the sun is literally rising and setting?  Or course not!  But we still use the terminology anyway to describe what we know is the earth rotating.  The reason Solomon wrote this is to illustrate the truth in verse 1:9 which says “What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun” using the illustration of the endless cycle of sunrise and sunsets.

So, those are some of my replies to the addresses made against the Bible in this article.  Feel free to post your feedback :)

Personally though, I believe there is a much more important question that should be used as a basis in deciding which book is the inspired Word of God.  Who is Jesus/Isa?  Is He a great teacher and prophet who was taken up to heaven as the Qu’ran suggests?  Or is He the living Savior and Son of God who was crucified and resurrected to pay the penalty for our sins as the Bible/Injil suggests?  To me, I think that is the most important question that we must each decide when making our choice.

I respect you a lot for being bold to post something so controversial on these forums.  I know sometimes the debates can get pretty heated :)

02:40 AM Jun 21 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

10/10

02:52 AM Jun 21 2009 |