Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

The Nazis' torch burns on

gkisseberth

Germany

from    http://www.cronaca.com/archives/005328.html

The Olympic flame: the Nazis' torch burns on

A timely reminder that the Olympic torch was invented for the 1936 Berlin Olympics    and that the controversy it is currently attracting as it makes its way to Beijing derives directly from its origins as a talisman of nationalistic supercessionism.

Now, despite China's attempt to put a smiley face on the torch relay    "Light the Passion, Share the Dream" says the Chinese Web site (see torchrelay.beijing2008.cn/en)     the Tibetan protests have laid bare its nationalist essence. There are reasons why the Chinese wanted a route that invoked glory (by touching Everest's peak) and power (by passing through Taiwan).

Of course in 1936 the relay reflected a more ominous threat. The torch was carried through Salonika, Greece; Sofia, Bulgaria; Belgrade, Yugoslavia; Budapest; and Vienna, and was welcomed along the way not by extensive protests but with pro-Nazi demonstrations. A prescient editorial in The New York Times, sensing the drumbeats of war, called the torch's route a "strategic highway" that traced the line of the German "Drang Nach Osten"—the drive to the East that the Kaiser sought in the First World War, and which Hitler was soon to put into practice.

The article notes and links to the upcoming exhibition at the US Holocaust Memorial Museum, The Nazi Olympics: Berlin 1936, which opens on the 25th.

01:43 AM Apr 17 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

sky-toucher

China

It is the man who wrote the article and the one who believe  what he wrote  that are  the Nazis.  

02:29 AM Apr 17 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

wow, sky, you are really sensitive. I thought it was an interesting fact that probably most people didn't know. 

What part of what he wrote will make me a Nazi if I believe it?

I've already been accused of being a racist here and a Jewish fascist here. I don't want to be a Nazi, too

02:40 AM Apr 17 2008 |

sky-toucher

China

Tell me before beijing Olympics, has you guys really interested in the originality of torch relay?

Those people who connect Beijin Olympics to 1936 are Nazi. Because they are the same disgraceful and vicious-minded.

04:26 AM Apr 17 2008 |

sky-toucher

China

MarkChina:

Is China the only one practising Torch Relay after 1936? But only this time some people suddenly recalled the originality of it. I think even bastard can read what the purpose of the article aimed.

And whether China will be the last one to do it?

06:10 AM Apr 17 2008 |

sky-toucher

China

gkisseberth : shouldn't I be sensitive. Please read what Mr.MarkChina wrote and you will understand why i am so sensitive.

The Mr. wrote:

I've met two Chinese people who have given themselves the English [sic] names "Hitler".

07:31 AM Apr 17 2008 |

zhm19861217

China

we have to admit that the government has imposed to much restrictions on the media in the past,so today the western don't believe us. I have to deny the word "nationalist" in China.You people didn't know today's China enough,we have changed a lot.In U.S NBC‘s <Chuck>,they imagined a Chinese agent's a gun with a big red star on it—-it's just funny

08:48 AM Apr 17 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

skytoucher,

Unlike Mark, I wasn't aware of the origins of the torch run. It does seem a little silly to me, but in the past has seemed mostly harmless. However there do seem to be much more nationalist undertones with this year's run and I think the parallels to the original torch relay is there.

I don't recall any past Olympic games that I've been alive for being used to pump up such nationalistic fervor. I can understand why it might happen though, as this is the first Olympic games for your country.  

09:38 AM Apr 17 2008 |

sky-toucher

China

gkisseberth:

we hope to hold a party for people all over the world and express our hospitality but the party will be ruined.

11:36 AM Apr 17 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Some say the party is being ruined by the actions of the Chinese.

People around the world are still concerned by the perceived human rights abuses of the Chinese government, the restrictions on free expression and what they see as oppression of the people of Tibet. They see little or no progress in these areas as was excepted when China was awarded the Olympic games. 

It´s not surprising then, that they refuse to put aside these problems for a few weeks in August just so the Chinese can throw a nice party.  

04:38 PM Apr 17 2008 |

sky-toucher

China

MarkChina :

From Chinese blogs this morning – "F&# all foreigners", "F%@ all race traitors", "China will rule the world", "Kick out foreigners", "Don't buy foreigner [sic] products".

First, not all Chinese agree what they say.

Second: I also noticed many westerners calling on resist Chinese products and in fact some of them are doing it, am I right? So what do you call them? And go to bbc, telegraph and so on, read the posts by  common westerners you will find people there are more extreme/ nationalism  than we Chinese.

04:20 AM Apr 18 2008 |