Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Funny story?

Sugar_Pie

Sugar_Pie

Sweden

Does somebody have a funny story to tell typical for you're country? if you do please tell me^^

07:34 PM Apr 30 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

liky0400840102

China

yes,tell you next time.

02:51 PM May 31 2008 |

Ashly87

Ashly87

China

i have sad story about that

09:18 AM Oct 11 2008 |

DE_CARVALLO

United Arab Emirates

An old man lived alone in Armagh. He wanted to dig his potato garden, but it was very hard work. His only son, Tommy, who used to help him, was in prison. The old man wrote a letter to his son and mentioned his predicament.
Dear Tommy, I am feeling pretty bad because it looks like I won’t be able to plant my potato garden this year. I’m just getting too old to be digging up a garden plot. If you were here, all my troubles would be over. I know you would dig the plot for me. Love, Dad
A few days later he received a letter from his son.
Dear Dad, ‘For Heaven’s SAKE, Dad, don’t dig up the garden! That’s where I buried the GUNS!’ Love, Tommy.
At 6am, the next morning, a dozen security agents and local police officers showed up and dug up the entire area without finding any guns. They apologised to the old man and left. That same day the old man received another letter from his son.
Dear Dad, Go ahead and plant the potatoes now. It’s the best I could do under the circumstances. Love, Tommy.

10:36 AM Oct 11 2008 |

mike_gwen

mike_gwen

Indonesia

LoL De carvalho.
Btw what crime did the son do so he ended up in jail? Anyway he’s a good and smart son. Maybe he’s the wrong person in the wrong place.

11:35 AM Oct 11 2008 |

zeus2006

zeus2006Super Member!

Turkey

Hi De Carvallo,

I liked much this story, His son is very intelligent. We have this kind of story about father who has 3 lazy sons.He is old but their sons don't want to work. One year he tells sons in his illness bed, I hided one big box gold at the field, find and share them.Sons dig the field…....  

11:59 AM Oct 11 2008 |

KarenZ

KarenZ

China

LaughingGreat joke there DE CARVALHO.
It reminds me of a very Chinese one that my dad once told me:

Back in some dynasty of ancient China, a man burried his silver in the ground and, being too much afraid that someone would steal it, he put up a sign that said "THERE IS NO 300 OUNCE SILVER HERE" ("此地无银三百两"). You could expect the end of the story. That's how that phrase came into being, which means you try too hard to avoid something only to get the counter effect. 

Hey zeus2006, that story sounds so familiar but I could not remember the later part of the story..plssss? thanks.

12:24 PM Oct 11 2008 |

DE_CARVALLO

United Arab Emirates

_...thanx for u mike, Zeus and karen

10:36 PM Oct 11 2008 |

KarenZ

KarenZ

China

Hmm…sir zeus2006, I'm still kind of waiting for the end of YOUR funny story. Anyone else knows that story? mind sharing it here?? 

02:11 PM Oct 16 2008 |

pink angel

pink angel

Saudi Arabia

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

very wonderful story shows how clever is the boy

thank you de carvallo

i am waiting for more

07:27 AM Oct 21 2008 |