Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Can you speak fuently in public?

Daisyds

Daisyds

China

I don't know what I say and my mind goes blank when I am speaking in the public. I really admire someone who can speak fluently. They are nervous too but how can he or she be so good?

05:48 PM Dec 06 2006 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Jakub

Jakub

Ireland

Hello!

I'd say: practise, practise, practise…

Just allow yourself to talk… repeat after radio, podcasts…. repeat repeat…

It really works… but… it is not magic, nobody can talk after one week…

Be patient… and …. practise, practise…

I'm sure will be okay! You will see ;-) 

10:38 PM Dec 06 2006 |

June.Zou

June.Zou

China

it's serious problem with me, nobody could talk with me in english/.

It's uninteresing to recite English lessons.

02:58 AM Dec 07 2006 |

oklassoo

oklassoo

China

i feel a little nervous when i talk witn people in english, cuz i'm not self-assurance with my spoken english.though compared with others my soken english seems not so bad…if speak in public in chinese, my nervous disappears….:P..i guess i just not so sure of my english level…

let't try our best….

05:07 AM Dec 07 2006 |

sunnyshine

sunnyshine

China

I have the same feeling as you . When I have chance to speak to a foreigner, I don't know what to say, and when I want to show my meaning, I don't how to express myself. My brain seems blank…..So I think you may help me, and especially the English native friends…I hope you can make friends with me…

01:38 AM Feb 06 2007 |

nugroho

nugroho

Indonesia

Just follow what Jakub said, practice, practice and practice. Practicing makes you as an expert.

I used to be very shy, I couldn't deliver my speech even in my own language. The first time when I delivered my speech, I felt that there was an earthquake happened, all of parts of my body were vibrated. But, I didn't care about that because my dream was bigger than my fearness. At that time I dreamt to be a communicative speaker who could deliver his speech in front of thousands people. I always visualize to speak in front of many people.

As time went by, the vibration of my body became lesser and lesser; it took almost one and a half year. And now I could enjoy hearing my voice when I deliver the topic. Now, I could speak in front of hundreds until two thousands of people, and I enjoyed that.

For your first show, you must write everything that you want to talk. Repeat to read it again and again. You should prepare your material or topic, it will make you familiar with its content. Make sure that you always take your notes when delivering your speech, it will help you when facing a blank mind. After some practices, you will find that delivering speech is an enjoying thing.

Have a nice practice!

02:07 AM Feb 06 2007 |

kadra

United Arab Emirates

i think some time

03:03 AM Oct 07 2007 |

kadra

United Arab Emirates

hello jacob

03:05 AM Oct 07 2007 |

kadra

United Arab Emirates

hello jacob

03:05 AM Oct 07 2007 |

MR.D

MR.D

Saudi Arabia

Jacob advice is right, practicing english many times helps you in two ways. First it shows you your mistakes so you can fix it next time when you talk to people in englsih, and secondly, practicing english with native speakers gives you self confident by time, that is because you will listen and talk to people at the same time, listening helps you to figure out the new skills that you don't know about your self and it will makes you feel comfortable with people when you get confidence by practicing english.

So friends, as Jacob said, PRACTICE!

05:37 AM Oct 07 2007 |

eva_maitreeya

Indonesia

Hello Daisyds, actually I have the same problem with u,can`t talk in public…Hmm, I think Jacub, Nugroho, and Mr.D`s advice are helpful to overcome such situation.. Thanx guys..

10:18 AM Oct 07 2007 |