Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

What causes poverty?

Girl90

Girl90

Poland

Hi! Almost every day we seem to hear about poverty. What are the symptoms of world poverty? Why people are hungry?

In my opinion a terrible symptom of world poverty is hunger. People are hungry not because of lack of availability of food or "over" population, but because they are too poor to afford the food. Why world spend  money to weapon and don't bother about hungry people?

09:37 AM May 06 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Lin etual

Lin etual

Russian Federation

I think it’s all because people’s lives are becoming less and less valuable, money is the head to everything. If you have none than you starve and noone care about you.
As for the gomernment, i think all they say about helping the poor is just words! Yes they may help one and let the world know about it, but the other hundred will die unhelped and this will be covered!

01:05 PM May 06 2008 |

Girl90

Girl90

Poland

Yes, people think that they are the hub of the universe.

Nearly a billion people entered the 21st century unable to read a book or sign their names. Less than one per cent of what the world spend every year on weapon was needed to put every child into school!

What is going on with world??

05:47 PM May 06 2008 |

hekmer

hekmer

Saudi Arabia

BECAUSE WHO ALWAYS HAVE FULL SATISFIED FROM THE EAT, DOES NOT KNOW THAT THERE IS ONE IS VERY HUNGRY . BECAUSE HE DID NOT KNOW HOW WOULD THAT FEELING BE , NOT YET .

06:36 PM May 06 2008 |

Girl90

Girl90

Poland

Almost 20 % of the population in the developed nation consume 86% of word's good.

How many people throw food on the scrap-heap?

12:30 PM May 07 2008 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

only 3 things are reasons for poverty,

1) Government

2) Ignorance of people who vote

3) education

India was one of the poorest countries in the world in the 1990's , in a couple of years india is slated to over take US economy,This is because of better governence by few governments. In the last 10- 15 years, the povert level has decresed from around 60% to  25%(now), But still, 25%  is a huge population for a nation of 1 billion people, 

Education made sure that people are better informed , so they started voting better people .

12:36 PM May 07 2008 |

Girl90

Girl90

Poland

Yes, without education people can't make right choices, government make use of it…

12:41 PM May 07 2008 |

p_jakkis

Thailand

my point of view i think the goverment is the key of thing..I see my country has a lot of food material but ,,,goverment worst enything,,,the famer here is the poor level

02:11 PM May 07 2008 |

devindernagpal

India

Friends,

I feel it's just fate,nobody can choose his parents so who knows why a human take birth in a rich family or in a poor one.so when someone take birth in family who don't have land to live,he is compelled by the society to live a poor life.He is totally ignored by the society & exploited for the whole of life.He is a born indebited.

& when someone take birth in a rich family ,he gets everything free of cost.so he is lucky !

All of us who accept family as a unit are responsible for poverty,because we hold the property & all resources with us & don't allow to flow the material towrds the lower.

Whatever a powerful man says becomes the rule & we powerful people are resposible for that.

Power is God gifted so it's fate responsible for poverty or richness. 

05:41 PM May 08 2008 |