Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

The cross road in my life

lucybaby219

China

Life is never predictable or easy to deal with. the next thing that happened might change your life, who knows.they say life is like a box of chocalate, you never know what you are gonna get.right now i'm thinking about what i'm gonna get from life.

Yesterday at 9pm,my boss asked me to a meeting room and wanted to have a talk with me, from the minute i walked out of that door,i knew something bad would happen.and it really did.My boss told me i failed to get promoted this year.The thing is, i was not surprised at this result at all.i was well prepared for this moment.i thought i deserved this.i had to lie in the bed i made for myself and had no one to blame.i knew i didn't put my heart and soul in work during the past year.while my co-workers were working their ass off to meet the deadlines.i was only trying to escape from work.i've got loads of things to do on my hand but my mind was elsewhere.i have no interest in this job ,sorry.The thing is, i have other plans.i haven't focused my full attention on my work since the day i applied for my visa.i planned to immigrant,yes.the whole process might take long and i have to stay in my current company for the "background check".

i didn't tell anyone at work about my immigration plan, of course, i pretended that i was working hard,just like everybody else.but i guess they could easily tell i'm not good at that. i found that i didn't fit in this business, sitting in front of the computer all day long analyzing those financial figures just drove me crazy.Then i kept telling myself that others might think the same way as i do but they put up with this to make a living.At least it's a well respected job that pays well.

they say that find a job you like and you don't have to work a single day in your life, i couldn't agree more.i kind of know what i'm good at.i have a passion for language, in terms of both my mother tougn and a foreign language. i like to write and i get quite a few compliments on that.a friend of mine once say i should be a column writer. some people say they like to read what i write, i probably have a gift for that. Other than writing,i love traveling and getting to know people from different cultures and background.i enjoy talking to people and hanging out with friends.clubbing, dancing,acting,dining….you name it, i would like to do it.just don't make me dealing with those financial statements,i'm open for everything.

Now my life has come to a crossroad,and i don't have a choice, i don't have much to lose at the beginning, now i really have NOTHING to lose….then i have a terrible,sinking feeling that what if it didn't work out, what if i became a jobless nobody…..i don't know what life will hand me, but i know i have to take it and be brave.i will get through the hard time , i know i could, my dream will definately come true one day, no matter how hard it takes to work it out, i will have my best try.

05:34 PM Jun 05 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

lucybaby219

China

To Aljensen,

i've been thinking about this, i might go to Melbourne, it's a city full of  culture, fanshion, and energy,etc. and education resourses is also a vital part.i want to live in a big metropolice rather than a small town, i think i will love it there. what i'm not sure about is the weather. they say the weather changes too much in Mel.

07:28 AM Jun 10 2008 |

Randyinseattle

United States

Hi Lucybaby,

If you are happy where you are then the weather probably won't matter much. I have visited Melbourne twice and think is it wonderful.

I once was very, very, bored with my job. I worked as a waiter and the prospect of being a restaurant manager, for me, was less desireable than being a waiter. I decided I needed to find a different jog, but I didn't want to go to wrok and then be bored 5 years later. That is when I decided that I needed to find a job doing something I would do for free if I could afford to not work. The onlyt requirement for money, I decided, was that i make enough to pay my bills and put a little bit away for retirement.

I thought about many jobs, but I couldn't figure out what the right job would be until I figured out to look at the attributes of what I enjoyed doing and then pick a job that has those attributes.

A couple of the attributes of what I liked doing were creativity and working with my hands. I also always wanted to be able to modify my own stereo to make it more powerful without  having to buy an expensive stereo.

I finally decided to become an electronic technician. I went to technical school for that and when I completed my two year degree I got a job in electronics. At first I made less money than I did working as a waiter, but I looked forward to going to work every day.

My life has only gotten better since then. I always wanted to travel, and I went from electronic technician into software (I worked for Microsoft for 12 years). Fortunate opportunities presented themselves and I began to travel to Europe and Asia. When I had a bad manager at Microsoft i was no longer enjoying my work, but I had forgotten that I need to to focus on looking forward to coming to work each day. When I finally decided to leave Microsoft for my current job, I was afraid I could not make as much money, but I also knew that I could not stay unhappy, so I took a chance.

Since then I have been happier, make more money now, travel more, and most importantly, I  look forward to wrok each day!

Follow your joy. Look at what you enjoy and isolate the attributes of that, not the actual thing itself that you do. then you can look for a job that shares those attributes. It may be something you would not have otherwise considered. Once you find that job, then where you live probably won't matter too much because you will spend so much time each day being happy! 

06:12 AM Jun 11 2008 |

ophilia

ophilia

China

you are young enough to try various kinds of life which i am sure will be a valuable wealth for your future life. do it and you won't lose anything.

01:54 PM Jun 11 2008 |

holly&honey

China

i guess many people have or had the same problem too. sometimes, i feel confused about my life and my future.i don't like the feeling of uncertainty.turn left or turn right,it's a problem.only one thing is certain:you have to make your own choice,and once you have made it, carry on!

04:21 AM Jun 12 2008 |

lucybaby219

China

To RandyinSeattle,
i’m deeply impressed by your story, no one told me he liked his job before,in China, many people still have no idea how to enjoy their life and celebrate their life choice….i was told over and over agian that life is not easy,we have to struggle to make a living, quitting a job just because you don’t like is a stupid idea…...

02:31 PM Jun 14 2008 |

learning girl

China

yes ,that's is a common problem. we face to make choice everyday,sometimes we have to select to do something that we don't like to, sometimes that we have no choice.in my opinion that whatever we choice ,that we don't regret having been do it forever.

if you have been make a choice ,then do it.

03:23 PM Jun 14 2008 |