Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

About 'salat' or 'Namaaz'

devindernagpal

India

Friends,

I wish to know the prayer which a real muslim do five times a day & want to know meanings too.I have tried here,here people call that prayer 'namaaz',I contacted five muslim men who perorm 'namaaz' five times a day,I asked them meanings but none of them knows it.Is it not necessary to know what are you saying in your prayer ?.I feel we must have knowldge what we are doing & saying!

P.S.:Please do not post long 'cut paste's.

Regards

05:31 PM Jul 02 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

osesame

osesame

Egypt

Dev,
try to know the meaning of what u recite in the prayer specifically to help u to feel what u recite and ur prayer. and i think it is not defficult to person like u….
then step by step u ''ll be better than of us who have arabic tongue…
So is it right to say that everyone has his own prayer in terms of feelings?
yes that's right try as u can and rewards from AALAH increase with hardship..and i think (and ALLAH only knows) ur reward will be more than ours due to ur addition effort.
i hope i've released ur confusion.
Regards

07:06 AM Jul 07 2008 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

by the way, what ''namaaz'' mean? and in any langauge?

07:08 AM Jul 07 2008 |

monatta

monatta

Saudi Arabia

dev .

I understand that you like more to preform the salat with your own language to feel it more  .  but  it is not allowed

Yuo asked way and  lilimira was right in her answer 

God chose the way of salat and its detail  .  and if you had a look at the salat , you will find that neerly 90% of its speech is  from the Qur,an .  the speech of god  . 

in other words ,  god chose to be worshiped by his own words  which he almightily revealled  in Arabic . so you should use his speech as it is with out changing .

this does not mean that you have not to know what is the meaning of what you resite in the salat , you should know the meaning and understand it very will  ,  after that you feel each word deeply during the salat . trust me , you will face no problem .  as you feel your english langauge that you write it  here .  it is just the same , when you know the meaning of each word you will understand and feel very well .  

about the meaning of what you recit in the salat  ,  I will try to explain it for you very soon  insha allah .  

11:50 PM Jul 07 2008 |

monatta

monatta

Saudi Arabia

women in the time of the prophet perfomed the salat in the prophet mosque behind the men in special place . but prophet explain that it is not important  for  women to be in the mosque  as men  ,  for this reason many mosques do not have place for women nowaday  .

and personally , I go to mosque once ,  twice or more in each month .  I can say that praying in mosque has different  atmosphere push you to feel different than what you feel when you practise it alone . 

12:02 AM Jul 08 2008 |

devindernagpal

India

Dear Osesame,

Indian muslim call the prayer 'Namaaz',they perform it 5 times a day.

12:22 AM Jul 08 2008 |

devindernagpal

India

Monatta,

Thanks a lot,Ihope I would be able to do it someday,Inshaallah.

12:24 AM Jul 08 2008 |

monatta

monatta

Saudi Arabia

I hope you will do very soon Dev . 

ok lets talk about the details of the salat and their meaning .step by step  . in parts  

I do not know if you have read what you should do before starting your pray  ,  so I will tell you that you should do the Salat in its certain time  ,  and when the time fulfills , you should  do as god tell you in this verse ( it is called in Arabic  Al  wudu ) :

O ye who believe! When ye rise up for prayer, wash you faces, and your hands up to the elbows, and lightly rub your heads and (wash) your feet up to the ankles. And if ye are unclean, purify yourselves . ....................  Allah would not place a burden on you, but He would purify you and would perfect His grace upon you, that ye may give thanks 

do not forget to remind your self of your intention in your mind before starting al wudu  , this is very useful to pay attention for what you are doing and yor aim  ,  you can say for example :

I have the intention to clean my self  for the pray , to be nearer of god and to worship him . 

also before starting Al wudu you should say :

besm ( by the name of )  allah ( God )  Al Rahman ( most gracious ) al Raheem (most merciful )

for more informations in this part , visit this page :

http://www.alsunna.org/salat/#Chapter%201:%20Preparations%20Before%20Praying

next  is  soon  , and  any help is  appreciated .

12:26 AM Jul 10 2008 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

Arabic Al wudu : in english '' purifying by an ablution''

06:20 AM Jul 10 2008 |