Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

dialects

latin-lover

Italy

Italy is full of different dialect and many of them are incomprehensible if you are not a native.

How is the situation in your country?

12:50 PM Aug 13 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

sunnyhw

sunnyhw

China

yeah,Chinese is also full of different dialect

and different peopel from different places speak chinese with different accent.so ,if you understand putonghua,but  maybe you can't  understand the accent

02:16 PM Aug 13 2008 |

Sawdestination

Mexico

In Mexico there´s a lot of dialects, mainly in the south of my country. There still are communities who keeps its traditions and costumes intact.

04:07 PM Aug 13 2008 |

Nasim

Nasim

India

Ow a gr8 topic. India house more languages as compared to any other country. India has about 350-400 languages proper and a total of over 1800 dialects (Wikipedia says 1652 dialects). My own first language Oriya has about 21 dialects and these dialects themselves have several local variants!!!

My second language Hindi has a lot of dialects and some are even recognized as full fledged languages in themselves!

08:13 PM Aug 13 2008 |

Opheliac2

Opheliac2

Spain

In spain there are some dialects too! But they are very easy to understand and if you're not from the country you can't see the difference!

08:21 PM Aug 13 2008 |

lilimira

lilimira

Algeria

it's nearly the same here.there are some main dialects and even if we have nearly the same dialect ,we have different accents and we usually do not understand each other. and i think it's the richness of history,nature and people.i think it's a good thing.it's to prove that we should accept differences.

08:25 PM Aug 13 2008 |

latin-lover

Italy

interesting..

01:19 PM Aug 14 2008 |

latin-lover

Italy

..7 dialects..you can count them..

In Italy there are many dialects and in a dialect there are other many under dialects.

For example in Sicily (the big Island located in south Italy – vere I was born) people speak sicilian dialect  but Sicily include many towns and each of them have a "personal" dialect. Often if two sicilian from two different towns speak own dialect they don't undertand each other..

03:32 AM Aug 16 2008 |

nadiaaa

nadiaaa

Pakistan

in my country here is also so many dialects. and here is also different communities they have own tradition and culture like sindhi ,punjabi, pashtu, balochi.

04:06 AM Aug 16 2008 |

lilimira

lilimira

Algeria

some dialect are ancient languages.like 'amazigh' in algeria and it's impossible to understand it until you learn it.

01:11 PM Aug 16 2008 |