Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Why do we read Quran, even if we can’t understand a single Arabic word????

nadiaaa

nadiaaa

Pakistan

This is a beautiful story.

An old  American Muslim lived on a farm in the mountains of eastern  Kentucky with his young  grandson. Each morning Grandpa was up early sitting at the kitchen table reading  his Quran.  His grandson wanted to be just like him and tried to imitate  him in every way he could.

One day the grandson asked, "Grandpa! I  try to read the Quran just like you but I don't understand it, and what I  do understand I forget as soon as I close the book. What good does reading  the Qur'an do?"

The Grandfather quietly turned from putting coal in the  stove and replied, "Take this coal basket down to the river and bring me back a  basket of water."
The boy did as he was told, but all the water  leaked out before he got back to the house. The grandfather laughed and  said, "You'll have to move a little faster next time," and sent him back to  the river with the basket to try again. This time the boy ran faster, but  again the basket was empty before he returned home. Out of breath, he told  his grandfather that it was impossible to carry water in a basket, and  he went to get a bucket instead.

The old man said, "I don't want a  bucket of water; I want a basket of water. You're just not trying hard  enough," and he went out the door to watch the boy try again.

At  this point, the boy knew it was impossible, but he wanted to show his  grandfather that even if he ran as fast as he could, the water would leak  out before he got back to the house. The boy again dipped the basket into  river and ran hard, but when   he reached his grandfather the basket was  again empty. Out of breath, he said, "See Grandpa, it's useless!"  

"So you think it is useless?" The old man said, "Look at the &nbs! p;basket ."

The boy looked at the basket and for the first time  realized that the basket was different. It had been transformed from a  dirty old coal basket and was now clean, inside and out.

"Son,  that's what happens when you read the Qur'an. You might not understand or  remember everything, but when you read it, you will be changed, inside and out.  That is the work of Allah in our lives."

04:54 AM Aug 16 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Nasim

Nasim

India

Lilimira when I meant Islam restricts some rights to women I think it does. I can’t explicitly state any but that is true. But the gap between the sexes is not that wide as the anti-islamic propagandist claim. And BTW
“Freedom is like the freedom of kite, not like the freedom of bird.”
—Keats
So freedom also has a limit. As for dev…yes there is something in the words…not just the rhythm. We muslims believe that Quran is from Allah and no other being can ever make single verse that is as dignified as a verse from Quran. When you listen to Jana Gana Mana and when you listen to Ae mere watan ke logon when do u feel the blood throbbing in your arteries? That is the magic of words.

04:57 AM Aug 17 2008 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

off course i dO, hear islamic verses from the mosque. they put it on loud speakers. I think nasim answed well. when i hear the tunes of national anthem, i get patriotic and highly emotional . but will a non indian get the same feeling when he hears indian national anthem ? certainly not. I feel patriotic because i know the meaning of every word of the national anthem.
If a person believe that quran or Gita were works of god, a person will get a similar feeling which i get when i hear my national anthem. ( for me country comes first and then religion )

07:54 AM Aug 17 2008 |

lilimira

lilimira

Algeria

islam give some rules to follow to men and women.complete freedom can't exist as your freedom stops where the others freedom starts.but i don't see much difference between men's and women's freedom in koran.humally speaking it's the same.as i have to cover my boby,he has to cover some parts of it.i can move alone if the roads are safe and i have the right to make my own choices which are the most important for me.nassim,i can't understand the difference you meant unless i get an example.

you are right about the koram's words,but understanding them is better.i hope we'll see you here.

08:05 AM Aug 17 2008 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

good reply hakimi, may Allah reward u for ur effort…

regards

salam

08:09 PM Aug 17 2008 |

lilimira

lilimira

Algeria

those verses from quoran give a lot of room to further disscution.they open  too much doors and make me think of too much other complementary verses and the prophet explanations and deeds.they make me think about the large meaning of words in arabic and how translation is too superficial.

you can't just cut and dry some verses and give them as a proof.

the first verse is the one which talks about poligamy.it shows that it's a solution to a human situation .it talks about orphans and at that time the society was threatened and there were too much widows and orphans ,besides it's shown as impossible since   it requires to be fair to wives and in another verse it's told that to be completely  fair is impossible even if you try to control yourself.islam is not with extrimist thoughts.that's why poligamy is kept only as a solution to critical situations.(i know a french man who has  a mentally disturbed wife who has no children,he loves her and cares about her and he wants to have a family.he can't neither divorce her nor get the wife he love.he is against having a mistress,he wants a marriage.it's only my opinion  that poligamy here will do no harm to anyone)but the quran never gives the illness of the wife or her inability to give birth to children as reasons.because the relationship inside a couple in islam is based on love,tolerance and  tranquillity.

concerning inheritance,it 'svery fair as the man has the responsibility to afford all the woman's need according to his capacity of course and the woman has her material independence and has the right not to use her money to help him and he has no right to force her.but she can be kind and help when she feels his need and since they love each other there's no problem.

the man has a degree of responsibilty not of honour and he has no right to frustrate his woman as in the quran the base is being in harmony and caring about each other or separating with more harmony and the man must give the woman all her rights and keep caring about their children.islam has a high sense of the family and cooperation and mutual understanding help in preserving the family.muslim women sometimes wish  their husbands give them the 3months before final divorce because on those situations some women and men act under anger ,misunderstanding and silliness.

the other verse where 'beat 'is mentioned has a wide meaning in arabic.'nouchouz' in arabic is not only ill conduct.it's looking for someone outside marriage.quran don't give divorce as a first solution and if the husband can make the wife understand that he can't accept this,he has that procedure.and 'beat' has a meaning in arabic to  quit the place and from sunna beating a woman is prohibited,the prophet teaches that it can be only touching with'siouak' and expressing unhapiness.i don't think if a woman start to look to someone other than her man,he will be able to follow what the quran says.he'll just use violence as superficial  humans  can't understand the human nature and can't tolerate mistakes and ill conducts.

concerning 'witness' i think that science has proved that women pay attention to the whole and man to the details.and to witness something you should be very attentive.it's not on all topics as a woman witness in a court has  worth.

the nature of men and women is certainly different.and you have not mentioned  all the verses and narrations,besides those verses are only organizing matters inside the couple and society.there are other verses which talk about women humanly speaking  and their equality in rights and duty( i have one in mind but i need to translate it) i found really wonderful ideas in those verses you've mentioned as caring about everybody in the society and protecting women from exploitation.we don't live in heaven.and even if what really protects both man and woman is nice feelings and shareness,god knows that some people will not take this way.

i 've prefered to give what i think and if you want read all the quran and find verses which complete what you have cut and don't forget that quoran is a whole and very deep and needs good intentions and high knowledge  to understand it.

08:32 PM Aug 17 2008 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

Have you ever thought who brought in pagen religion in arabia?? Possibly another prophet?? People claim that there is one god and god sends his message through messengers. But each messengers give a contrasting message compared to his predesesor.Were all prophets male , if yest  Why god sent only male prophets?(eve is spposed to be a prophet)

Comments:

1)

"No individual has
his/her name written on the cover of Quran! Anytime an
individual writes a book, he/she writes his/her name on the
cover.  The author's name always appears on his/her book, and
there is always an author who is credited for writing that book."

6th century is not the world of copy rights,  Heard of Vedas? This is a book of knowledge written in around 2500 BCE in and around kashmir/punjab/modern pakistan by ancient Indians. This is quite similar to Quran or bible but extremly vast. This has no author.In my openion It was probably written by group of people. (hindu's say god himself reveled it, because stuff in that is very advanced , including medicine , aerodynamics, physics, and some concepts of evolution)

2)

"How can an illiterate person come
up with such a rich, poetic,  intellectual, and inspiring text
that it rocked the entire Arabia
"

My grand mom is illiterate , but she knew hell lot of stuff about religion. Illiteracy doesn't mean lack of knowledge.  This is one of the reason why i say Mohhamad is a great human being, born once in thousnad years. Raja ram mohan roy (18th century)- a social reformer went ahed with his fight against "sati" and "purdha system"(indian bhurka). He made a lot of enemies. Bhim Rao Ambedkar(19th century) - Rised his voice against casteism.

Mahatam gandhi -  Raised his vocie against the british.

Why did they all do this?? They felt somthing was wrong and things have to be set right. and faught against society.

3)

Quran was revealed over a period of 23 years ! A very long
time!  Is it possible for someone to maintain the same exact
style of Arabic speech , as demonstrated in Quran, for over 23
years ?

This is very important, For an illiterate person to do this is damm difficult. This is probaly the start of collection of knowledge. Don't underestimate the power of human mind

4)

Just as they still look down upon their Arab brethren today.

This is false, Jews don;t look down upon Arabs. Neither do the arabs look down upon jew.

Jews had a very bloody history, First the Egypitians drove them out, then the arabs then the europeans.

5)

Embryology and Life Sciences in Quran :

I advice you to go through the entire page. in this website

http://www.islam.com/reply.asp?id=930746&ct=19&mn=930746

04:47 AM Aug 18 2008 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

progression, if u believe in science as u claim then u must what science said about the physical defrient betwean male and female in thinking and emotional and brain form and it is supposed that u know that the woman at the period her hermons changed and as a result her mode…

i m busy now bye complete later

04:13 PM Aug 18 2008 |

lilimira

lilimira

Algeria

have i said that it was sent to only extreme  past conditions!!i've said one reason of why that verse was necessary at that period and i believe that those situations still exist and there  are other situations  that poligamy is the only solution ,if people like to have relations in light and don't be against their nature.i mentioned the french man's case and it happens now and i've mentioned another verse that make poligamy a very hard option to take and the last solution.(islam don't usually put extreme laws to be clement with our human nature and let space for human work) .the woman has the right  to accept it or not.she has the right  to choose her way and quran gives her even the right to pay a divorce.

i've said too that quran is a whole and those verses are cut and dried.

as muslim extrimists cut and dry the verses they like to justify awful act,other extrimists cut and dry other verses to proove what they like.

you don't know what people feel towards god if you don't experience it.and it's subjective to talk about other feelings and believes.we can't put all religions in one basket.each religion has its specific history.some ideologies had more harmful effects than religions.i think that  both.obliging people to follow a religion or getting rid of it is extrimism.i think that prohibiting women to wear hijab as in turkey or obliging them to wear it as in iran is the same.who gives the right to people to tell a woman what to wear!!!in the koran it's said that  you have your religion and i have mine.i'm free to choose my way and noone has the right to force me not to do that when i do no harm to the society.

have you got the truth? dear progression, noone has the truth on this earth and if you feel that you have it you are not tolerant anymore. 

07:30 PM Aug 18 2008 |

Otonashi Saya

Saudi Arabia

To Nadia : What an impressive story , I liked it . To Progression : Please DO NOT talk about things you completely DO NOT KNOW , then you have to respect cultures whatever they are .The Arabic Culture is very influenced by Islam not ( Islam is nothing but an expression of Arabic lifestyle ) Islam is the religion that suits everyone . It is for all humanbeings not only Arabs .SO pay attention to what say.

02:10 AM Aug 19 2008 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

progression, u said before sciencs dosen't come from a divine place …i hope u have read what Hakimi wrote…to know that ur words r false willy or nilly…

and i hope others who talk just for talk to use their brains for the sake of science that pretending by….

12:07 PM Aug 19 2008 |