Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Economy collapses. What happens where you live?

worldmikel

worldmikel

United States

In the past few months, the USA has seen many banks close. Most people in the USA don't own their own homes. They buy them with mortgages that they get from banks. Banks lent more money than what people could pay back. Now banks have taken back millions of homes and thrown people out on the streets. The US Treasury and Federal Reserve has just bailed out two of the major lenders by guaranteeing the stock of these companies with more money than the US government really has. This is part of a worldwide Economic crisis that could see every major country in Depression. The US and the world had a major Economic Depression in the late 20's and all of the 1930's. It was a terrible situation. The US and other countries have advanced in so many ways since then. Lifestyles have changed and grown. When the next Depression hits, most people that lived through the previous one won't be alive to tell about what it will be like. 

My question here is: When this Depression hits first in the USA and then around the world, what kinds of things happen where you live? How does life change? What things will you have to give up because you cannot afford them? Will there be more crime and illness where you live? 

Nobody know for sure how bad it will get, but you can imagine and describe different scenes using the questions I've asked as a basis for your story. I will do the same, so you can see what I mean. It is a good thing to think about. Don't you think so?

09:20 PM Sep 11 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

L.PARK_EVA

L.PARK_EVA

Turkey

if the opinions dont change( about  alot of subject as human rights, animal rights,stupid ideas of  capitalizm ,change of murderer  lider and free ideas and ı wont count more than subjects) , the world will be house that only  the murderer  live in , so the economy is collepse ..left economy fırst the human will killed … no human  no things ….

a murderer who  live a place died a opinion, a human , a animal and  by and by person will died to its life  .. the opinion will died other opinion (serious prob.) and

how do you live that life ?

ı think my country dont have a economy… you will be said why ? you have to live here to understand it is quite confused…my country  have many nation and they cant love theirself becoz their opinion killed theirself  in fact they dont have a free OPİNİON     

ı treid to write well ,fluently …if ı have mistake i willsorry to all of you …......

HURRAY FREE OPİNİON  

10:28 PM Sep 15 2008 |

worldmikel

worldmikel

United States

hakimi,

Notice the date on that article is from 2007? The biggest problems with the Economy probably started right after 9/11. That is when the US government started printing money like crazy and handing it out to banks in Europe, businesses and programs around the US and the world. People didn't realize that the money they held didn't represent anything real. At the same time, banks in the US were giving out loans with this fake money to home buyers that could never pay it back. These mortgages – the bad loans – were sold in groups to other banks that held them and took investments against them from foreign countries like China and Japan. Now that it is realized that there was no real money in the first place and now these loans represent no value, the investors – like China and Japan – are holding paper loan contracts that are worthless, if the US government doesn't do something to make it appear that this money will be worth something in the future. It is all like a magic trick; slight of hand. It is real if you choose to believe it is real.

China and Japan need to pretend this is real. If they decide that US money is worthless and decide not to accept it anymore, the US can't buy stuff that these countries manufacture. If they can't sell their stuff, these countries have a LOT of unemployed and unhappy people. Beijing in particular could not handle millions of angry people marching to Beijing to overthrow their government because they don't have enough money for food. This is like a delicate chess game that everyone wants to keep playing and not find out how it ends. When it ends, no matter who "wins", all players really lose.

The story in the News today is that the US government just printed up $70-billion dollars of money and are giving it out. This is bigger than the amount they printed out the week of 9/11. That was a bad time in US history. You know that this time is much worse.

10:54 AM Sep 16 2008 |

tiffintime

tiffintime

Sri Lanka

Fact is stranger than fiction.

Lehman's CEO Fuld got a bonus payment of 22 million dollars for "excellent" performance in the year 2007. With that kind of money in his own bank account, he's probably having the last laugh.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSN1341059120080914

12:50 PM Sep 16 2008 |

worldmikel

worldmikel

United States

See? That was part of the trick of these banks. They claimed assets at inflated values that they colluded to inflate. In this good ol' boy network, they patted each other on the backs and told themselves these phony money schemes would keep appearing as earnings and profits. So, unregulated and with no oversight, if they told each other they were profitable, then they were profitable. After all, they agreed.

The nice thing is that once everything collapses, either his money will be worthless, or if he remains rich, he'll be a target of the poor that he's fleeced. As rich people in places like Brazil know, it is tough to enjoy being rich with so many poor surrounding you. You have a target on your back at all times.

11:53 PM Sep 16 2008 |

worldmikel

worldmikel

United States

The government printed another $80-billion+ to bail out AIG! We know this phony money thing is worldwide. Russia shutdown its Stock Exchange for the second straight day due to losses.

It should be fairly obvious now that most of the world's money is not real. It doesn't represent anything real. It is just a tool to keep the rich people rich and the poor people poor. It is a note from the rich to the poor telling them what their status is in the world.

I wonder why poor people don't revolt? Why do they just accept their second-class status? Surely the poor outnumber the rich in the world?

11:57 PM Sep 17 2008 |

Turnedo

Turnedo

Spain

Situation is becoming extremely complicated all over the world. We will see how the markets reacts until the weekend… I agree with you, I don't know why but people don't seem to or don't want to understand the magnitude of this situation in such as globalization economy. Maybe they think this situation isn't going to affect them at all…

12:40 AM Sep 18 2008 |

worldmikel

worldmikel

United States

Turnedo -

Very complicated. Today they printed up more fake money! $180-billion! China is to buy Morgan-Stanley and after dropping so much, the NYSE is up again. It is a real-life Monopoly game. It is like everyone is also on drugs.

A friend sent me a link to an interesting blog:

http://market-ticker.denninger.net/archives/584-The-Potential-End-Of-Americas-Government.html

It's a blogger. Take it for what it's worth. Still, food for thought.

08:14 PM Sep 18 2008 |

devindernagpal

India

Many americians will die hungry.No country would be able to supply goods against printed papers.Because when a note don't have purchasing power it remains just a printed paper.How long china would be able to supply goods against the money who don't have purchasing power.How long chinese government be able to befool the people ?

Every one has to realise the reality.No one can consume more than what he produce.or there shall be wars & the whole system may collapse. 

10:42 PM Sep 18 2008 |

Turnedo

Turnedo

Spain

In my opinion, yesterday's decision won't solve the problem, it only would extend the agony. Markets are acting like drug adiccts (injections, injections and more injections), and this situation could lead us to a brutal hyperinflation. That's very dangerous.

02:12 PM Sep 19 2008 |

worldmikel

worldmikel

United States

devindernagpal -

You'd think that, wouldn't you? Nothing seems to make sense. After telling the world that they've printed up money out of nowhere… Stories today tell that this mess is costing the Treasury $1-trillion, still the world markets are up! The pound's value sunk against the dollar! 

I feel like I'm on drugs reading these stories. They defy reality. It is like having vertigo!

02:41 PM Sep 19 2008 |