Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

a question about german school

rip12345

rip12345

China

my friend freed'm has told me german schools are divided into 3 levels,Gymnasium,Realschule and Hauptschule.And i wonder why?in China,we donnot have that.i think there 're only good or bad students instead of good or bad schools.

once i thought,if a guy studied bluntly and he's  lazy at first,so that he was sent to Hauptschule.then maybe a year later,he found study is more important than he used to think it was and he works really,really hard in future.he soon becomes one of the top students.then…is he able to get in a Gymnasium ?if not,i would think it unfair for some students.^^ 

german friends,please answer my question:D.     Danke

06:34 AM Oct 03 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

rip12345

rip12345

China

nice!i know.it's very kind of u.

09:32 AM Oct 03 2008 |

Minni Mouse

Germany

After primary school I went to a Realschule. After year 10 I went to Gymnasium.I am now in class 13.
It is not easy to change school because I had many problems espacially in the beginning.
I got used to it but my marks are really bad and I am frightened to fail the Abitur.
I dont´t like our school system because in the age of 10 your teacher and parents say you where to go and the school you are going to is important for your job. For example when you go to a Hauptschule it´s hard to find a job and your are not allowed to study.
On the other hand there are also ,,social differences” between children going to a Hauptschole and children going to a Gymnasium.
I had many problems with my classmates of my old school.(I also got bullied by them like many other students) They where not interessted in learning that much and I couldn´t talk with them about school-stuff.
At my new school I can ask for help when I haven´t understood something. So students who are interessted in school can learn with their “level”.

09:41 AM Oct 03 2008 |

rip12345

rip12345

China

i can understand u mini,it's hard to communicate with someone who is not very polite or acdemic coz u have different attitudee towars life or study.

09:59 AM Oct 03 2008 |

german_student

Germany

I have to say, our school system is sometimes good.

Let's see it from the other side. The politics want to put hauptschule and Realschule as one. That will not work!

First, you have to put the trenght lower because you gt students who aren't as well as the others, so the student's will be so different intellegent. Good for the bad ones, but bad for the good ones. SO every student in Grundshcule has to decide: "Am I going to Hauptrealschule where I might be the best, but I can't learn much because there are so many bad students either, or will I go to Gymnasium which is maybe a bit to hard for me, but I want to learn something.

That's what I think about. And a good friend of mine, was o Hauptschule and changed school in the 6th grade. Now she is on a Biology-gymnasium.

10:07 AM Oct 03 2008 |

tomcruise

United States

Yeah your friend is right.. In germany schools are divided according to there students..but not in other countries..especially in china..

____

Carhartt Work Gloves

investment real estate

11:07 AM Oct 03 2008 |

Minni Mouse

Germany

What about schools in the USA or other countrys?
What are their school systems like and do they have similar problems?
I don´t really understand the school system of the USA.
So they go to primary school and after that to middle or High school. And than? Can they decide if they want to get a job or go to University?
And how many grades do they have?
Ohh too many questions…

01:38 PM Oct 03 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Miini,

In the US, students generally attend school from grades 1 -12 with many kids also attending Kindergarden and Pre-Kindergarden  (K and Pre-K)

Although there are differences (each state or school district may have a slightly different terminology) these are how it is often broken down

Grades 1-6    Elementary or Primary School

Grades 7-8    Middle School or Junior High School

Grades 9-12   High School

When I was in school in Florida, Junior High was grades 7-9, but in Michigan it was 7 and 8. In some places they might all be together in one school (especially in private schools or church schools)

In some states you might have a choice of public schools to attend and one might be more academic and one more technical. 

After High School kids can choose to go to University or not. Other options are to work, go to some kind of trade school, or just sponge off their parents some more. University is not compulsory and in many cases can be rather expensive.

Here in Colombia, most kids go to Pre-K, Kinder, Transicion, and then grades 1-11.  If they can afford it at all, parents send kids to private schools as the public schools are not so good. Many private schools have all the grades in one school, but others will only have some grades. After secondary school, University is again a matter of choice and money.

07:23 PM Oct 03 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

But don`t they have problem between the students`? I mean between the stupid and lazy ones and the clever? Or isn`t it frustraiting to be with some guys in class who just doesn`t get it when you already find it boring?

You're right. Having students at different levels and with different motivation levels can be difficult; for the teachers as well as the students. 

Among private schools there are some who have very high academic standards and if parents can afford it they can send their bright children to those schools. 

Within the public schools most of the division of students (if it is done) would be within the same school. My school had remedial courses for students who did not perform well in regular classes, who might have some learning disabilities or behaviour issues and honors classes for students who excelled. 

In some places, a state or school district might have what are often called "magnet schools". These schools are typically focused on high academic acheivement and students might have to take placement tests to qualify. My step-sister went to one of these schools, and it's counterpart in the city was a school where students focused on technical subjects and science. 

07:50 PM Oct 04 2008 |