Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Girl, 13, stoned to death in Somalia as 1,000 watch; charged

endurereality

United States

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world/2008/11/01/2008-11-01_girl_13_stoned_to_death_in_somalia_as_10.html

How can this happen?? Its the men that RAPED the girl that should be prosecuted!!!! I'm outraged,

08:26 PM Nov 02 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

gkisseberth

Germany

How can this happen?? Its the men that RAPED the girl that should be prosecuted!!!! I'm outraged,

You should be. We all should be. This is barbarism, pure and simple, and sadly events like this will continue as long as armed thugs are in control of much of that country. 

10:49 PM Nov 02 2008 |

jadd051

jadd051

Thailand

.. I quite don't understand. Why many muslims see this kind of news as a false news, or response like; 'this is not real muslims' (EOM), or otherwise ignore it. (except you, BLINK)

Dear muslim friend, you have to know that, just because there is a word 'muslim' or 'Islam' appeared in the article doesn't mean this public revealing aim to act against your religion. Basically, they just want to fight against this crime, that's why they publicize the news. 

(Clearly, AI campaigner need more strong support from other ppl, or even other gov.)

And the response from me or anyone else will be the same if this kind of case occur in other societies which has different type of belief, even Buddhism, my own belief.

Instead of being pissed off whenever you see the word 'muslim' or 'Islam' and accuse it as a false news, I suggest you to, at least, research it first before saying so.

And, if you want to claim or prove that this is not what real muslim do, I think, it would be convincing if you express some reasonable response on behalf of real muslim. 

01:44 PM Nov 03 2008 |

Mr. Pmosh

Mr. Pmosh

Dominican Republic

Europe might colonize Africa again to stop such a criminalist organization, "Islamic militans of Africa" are worse than Al-Quaeda. And so they say that USA was a terrorist abusing of this ppl in the Somalia war. Well, this proves who was the real terrorist.

03:54 PM Nov 03 2008 |

jadd051

jadd051

Thailand

http://stop-stoning.org/node/9

http://stop-stoning.org/callsForAction

http://www.amnesty.org/en/for-media/press-releases/somalia-girl-stoned-was-child-13-20081031

11:12 AM Nov 04 2008 |

spontan

spontan

Germany

there is no better society in the world, give, killed13 Year old girl into google and you will find many brutal murdered 13 years old girls! murder are in every society, i select an other muslim girl who was murdered…

Israeli officer: I was right to shoot 13-year-old child Radio exchange contradicts army version of Gaza killing <!- end article-header -> An Israeli army officer who repeatedly shot a 13-year-old Palestinian girl in Gaza dismissed a warning from another soldier that she was a child by saying he would have killed her even if she was three years old.

The officer, identified by the army only as Captain R, was charged this week with illegal use of his weapon, conduct unbecoming an officer and other relatively minor infractions after emptying all 10 bullets from his gun's magazine into Iman al-Hams when she walked into a "security area" on the edge of Rafah refugee camp last month.

A tape recording of radio exchanges between soldiers involved in the incident, played on Israeli television, contradicts the army's account of the events and appears to show that the captain shot the girl in cold blood.

The official account claimed that Iman was shot as she walked towards an army post with her schoolbag because soldiers feared she was carrying a bomb.

But the tape recording of the radio conversation between soldiers at the scene reveals that, from the beginning, she was identified as a child and at no point was a bomb spoken about nor was she described as a threat. Iman was also at least 100 yards from any soldier.

Instead, the tape shows that the soldiers swiftly identified her as a "girl of about 10" who was "scared to death".

The tape also reveals that the soldiers said Iman was headed eastwards, away from the army post and back into the refugee camp, when she was shot.

At that point, Captain R took the unusual decision to leave the post in pursuit of the girl. He shot her dead and then "confirmed the kill" by emptying his magazine into her body.

The tape recording is of a three-way conversation between the army watchtower, the army post's operations room and the captain, who was a company commander.

The soldier in the watchtower radioed his colleagues after he saw Iman: "It's a little girl. She's running defensively eastward."

Operations room: "Are we talking about a girl under the age of 10?"

Watchtower: "A girl of about 10, she's behind the embankment, scared to death."

A few minutes later, Iman is shot in the leg from one of the army posts.

The watchtower: "I think that one of the positions took her out."

The company commander then moves in as Iman lies wounded and helpless.

Captain R: "I and another soldier … are going in a little nearer, forward, to confirm the kill … Receive a situation report. We fired and killed her … I also confirmed the kill. Over."

Witnesses described how the captain shot Iman twice in the head, walked away, turned back and fired a stream of bullets into her body. Doctors at Rafah's hospital said she had been shot at least 17 times.

On the tape, the company commander then "clarifies" why he killed Iman: "This is commander. Anything that's mobile, that moves in the zone, even if it's a three-year-old, needs to be killed. Over."

The army's original account of the killing said that the soldiers only identified Iman as a child after she was first shot. But the tape shows that they were aware just how young the small, slight girl was before any shots were fired.

The case came to light after soldiers under the command of Captain R went to an Israeli newspaper to accuse the army of covering up the circumstances of the killing.

A subsequent investigation by the officer responsible for the Gaza strip, Major General Dan Harel, concluded that the captain had "not acted unethically".

However, the military police launched an investigation, which resulted in charges against the unit commander.

Iman's parents have accused the army of whitewashing the affair by filing minor charges against Captain R. They want him prosecuted for murder.

05:08 PM Nov 04 2008 |

lilimira

lilimira

Algeria

this cruel act can't be justified even if the girl was a woman.it's awful and no human can accept it.what ever those people are calling themselves,they are criminals and should be treated as that.it's a shame to all humanity to be silent in such cases.

08:24 AM Nov 05 2008 |

spontan

spontan

Germany

hi nu pogodi.first i am very sorry for all killed 13 years old girls in the world!!!! i made no different between religion and societys and political systems!!!! and you can believe me i know what a father is feeling when he lost his daughter!!!!

by beginning of this topic i thought …is ok everybody should know….but after reading all postings i got the feeling it starts to be populism,  its only showing how bad is your religion…its showing with the finger to believers….so i choosed a case for making clear there isn't a better society or religion in the world.what about exorzismus by The christian, there die also girls or get insane after doing this, what is about burning witches through christian till now in asia ….what i will say there is no better religion or society in the world…we should not show with one finger to someone ,five finger can show back.the usa have now the possibility to change the silly politic who divide the world in good and Evil,we should  do it also in ebaby  and we should respect each other . 

10:54 AM Nov 05 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

I think it's fair to say that a society or culture that condones or permits the stoning of a young girl is worse than a society or culture that does not. It's fine to say respect everyone, but there are people or groups who do not deserve respect. 

11:27 AM Nov 05 2008 |

spontan

spontan

Germany

oh a man full of hate …what must i do to deserve…

it remember me to the novel animal farm from george Orwell

there are all animals equal, but some are more equal…

11:51 AM Nov 05 2008 |