Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Terrorism That's Personal

gkisseberth

Germany

be warned, the images and video  in the link are not pleasant

(another highlight from the full article    Since 1994, Ms. Bukhari has documented 7,800 cases of women who were deliberately burned, scalded or subjected to acid attacks, just in the Islamabad area. In only 2 percent of those cases was anyone convicted. )

Terrorism That's Personal

by Nicholas D. Kristof, NY Times

Terrorism in this part of the world usually means bombs exploding or hotels burning, as the latest horrific scenes from Mumbai attest. Yet alongside the brutal public terrorism that fills the television screens, there is an equally cruel form of terrorism that gets almost no attention and thrives as a result: flinging acid on a woman’s face to leave her hideously deformed.

Here in Pakistan, I’ve been investigating such acid attacks, which are commonly used to terrorize and subjugate women and girls in a swath of Asia from Afghanistan through Cambodia (men are almost never attacked with acid). Because women usually don’t matter in this part of the world, their attackers are rarely prosecuted and acid sales are usually not controlled. It’s a kind of terrorism that becomes accepted as part of the background noise in the region.

This month in Afghanistan, men on motorcycles threw acid on a group of girls who dared to attend school. One of the girls, a 17-year-old named Shamsia, told reporters from her hospital bed: “I will go to my school even if they kill me. My message for the enemies is that if they do this 100 times, I am still going to continue my studies.”

Click here to continue reading:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/30/opinion/30kristof.html?_r=2&hp

07:50 PM Nov 30 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Radunagi

Radunagi

United States

Organized crime can and does inflict terror as a tactic, but they typically do not have a social or political motive (at least, not so much in the USA and Europe), nor do they do it in a mass fashion, and so calling them terrorism wouldn't be very accurate, I think.  Not that they aren't bad.

If you are looking for an American example of terrorism to use as a tu quoque, then your best bet might be the actions of white supremacists in various organizations including the KKK, or those "new world order" militia groups that spawned Timothy McVeigh, but neither are particularly active right now, and certainly not to the extent that the original article relates to. 

08:36 PM Nov 30 2008 |

samsiami

samsiami

Saudi Arabia

Terrorism and fundamentalism are personal.I bet there are terrorist and fundamentalists all over the world, and each has his own way in showing how barbarous they are.  

09:17 PM Nov 30 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

are mafia terrorism???

As Radunagi said, sometimes they do use the tactics of terror. Why do you ask?

What do you think about the acts detailed in the article. This seems to be a phenomenon centered in southern Asia and speaks a lot about the lack of power for women in that part of the world. 

11:18 PM Nov 30 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

talk now, this isn't really about politics. Like the title it's very personal.

08:39 AM Dec 01 2008 |

radheshy

radheshy

India

They throw acids because they don’t want them to progress to study because thats against their religious beliefs . Down with these nonsence beliefs and people

05:53 PM Dec 01 2008 |

MarcosPT

Portugal

shocking…this is frustrating you know those people who do that dont have the notion of time. they live in the past in a world each time more developed. those terrorist groups should be extreminated from our planet, everything i see on tv in these last years is terrorist attacks, and these ones they dont show up on tv, i think its time to put an end on this.

cya

06:36 PM Dec 01 2008 |

CaN I CrY

CaN I CrY

Turkey

Terrorism is a labyrinth. If somene enter it, he loses his way! And some diffirent doors opens him in his road.

It is complicated….

Their way is same! But Their aims and topics are diffirent a bit..

But again, they are similar. If you understand just one of them, U can reach their aim and strategy.

But we have to admit that > There are too much thing to be a terrorist in this World, in 21 century..

I am not terrorist, But if the conditions of life had maden me annoying too much (very too much, terrible too much) Maybe I would be one of them.

06:41 PM Dec 01 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

I am not terrorist, But if the conditions of life had maden me annoying too much (very too much, terrible too much) Maybe I would be one of them.

CanICry, I do understand what you are trying to say, but what condition of life could make a man throw acid in the face of a girl because he didn't think she should be educated? It is simply the result of a backward culture and the more it is exposed, perhaps the more can be done to change this and other barbaric customs like honor killings. 

07:07 PM Dec 01 2008 |

CaN I CrY

CaN I CrY

Turkey

I do understand what you are tryiing to say, but what condition of life could make a man throw cid in the face of a girl because he didn't think she should be educated?

It is not terrorism..It is just stupidly.. I didn't mean it or something like it, when i use this sentence..

Why did u write me such a diffirent example? It is not terrorism! just a stupidly!

Have u ever think that there is El-Kaide, PKK, Pejak, CPP/NPA, KADEK, DHKP/C, and many of others…. ???

They are human too..So believe me they have a bit brain to do something good..

Believe me, there are too much thing to be terrorist for them!!

07:16 PM Dec 01 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

It is not terrorism..It is just stupidly.. I didn't mean it or something like it, when i use this sentence.. Why did u write me such a diffirent example? It is not terrorism! just a stupidly!

I disagree, it is a form of terrorism. And the reason, dear, I used that example is because it is the focus of the article I posted and of this thread. 

07:40 PM Dec 01 2008 |