Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

What does this statement mean? - Lā ilaha illa al-Lāh

javamanju

javamanju

India

What does this statement mean? – Lā ilaha illa al-Lāh

I was always under the belief that it means "there is no god but god" Today I saw a  post saying that it is "there is No god but Allah". I am confused now.

Now which one is correct? Please provide accurate answers.

12:03 PM Dec 07 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

machoo

machoo

Egypt

let me try ''theres no god but allah'' or ''theres no god but god'' ) let me try it by an example ) ,for example ur father or brother his name '' james'' when i asking u saying ''wheres james?'' or saying ''wheres ur brother?'' whats the difrance for u ! ) and if u looked at dictionary english<>arabic u will found that God means'' الله'' and coz forgent ppl cant read it by arabian words like this ''الله'' we writen it by english like this ''allah'' SO it means theres no difrance between both of them ,one of them ended by english word ''god'' ond the other ended by Arabian word wrote by english letters like hm ''salam'' it means bye ) cause simply if i wrote it by arabic letters u wilnt be able to read it ) if u wana try and insiste so try to read it '' سلام'' ) u c u cant read it for that i wrote it ''salam'' to can read it at lest ) then when u ask me about the meaning i tell u it means ''bye'' ) hope i helped a littel ) have nice weekend ) salam for now )

01:06 PM Dec 07 2008 |

zanaz

zanaz

Algeria

At the beginning, I feel a linguistic analysis of the origins and meanings of the two terms, God and Allah, would be most useful.

According to most dictionary references, the majority of words currently in use today trace their source back to Latin, Greek or Old, Middle; German, French or Spanish, along even with reference sometimes to Hebrew or Sanskrit. Arabic is rarely referenced, which is another problem that needs to be tackled in a separate article.

Attempting to find the origin for the term, God proved to be quite fruitless as I perused all major English dictionaries, old and new. I welcome anyone’s proofs to the contrary, and, until such time as any are brought forward, I invite all to read this answer, which is based on what I consider to be the supreme truth, found in the Arabic language.

Taken as a given that the concept of the word God in most minds is that of strength and giving, fairness and capability, I offer the possibility that the root can be found in the Arabic term jude, which root is jawada – which is this meaning exactly. A related term in English would be the word “good”.

Let us now look at the Arabic word Allah – we can immediately recognize the English word “all”, indeed we have herein one of the best characteristics of Allah’s attributes; The All-Knowing, All-Seeing, All-Hearing, All-Merciful etc. Every baby born anywhere in the world has, as his first utterance the short “a” sound. No new born ever cried out with an “s” or a “t” or a “d” or a “b” sound! All exclaim the “a” as an expression of the oneness of humanity, in relation to its Creator.

Also, all final deathbed gasps exhale the “h”, the last letter of the name of Allah. This is because He is the First and the Last! When we scream in pain or cry out in fear, or grunt and groan during strenuous exercise or disgust, or exclaim in joy or surprise, it is the very same… “ahhh”, and not the “g” of the word God that we all emit. This reality is intrinsic in our innermost selves, something out of our control!!

Why is this so, you may ask. It is because the word Allah refers to the concept of that which all turn to for refuge and repose. Without finding this state of rest and security, we are in a constant state of frustration and irritability. Our souls all yearn to reach the place of contentment, which can only be found by knowing Allah as He has revealed Himself to us, in the Qur’an.

Another interesting facet of the two related languages is the relation of the words “man” and “woman”. The word “man” (mim, nun) in Arabic is the personal pronoun for the human being, as in the English word “man”. Both languages use the term also in the sense of “who”. Therefore, the usage of the term “man” is nearly identical in both languages!

01:46 PM Dec 07 2008 |

zanaz

zanaz

Algeria

The word “wa” in Arabic means “and”. In English the word “woman” could be seen to be derived from the concept of a partner to the man. Therefore, the woman or “waman” as it might be more correctly rendered, can be construed as meaning “and-man” or “together with man”, the couple which forms the very essence of the human race…

The reason why I referred to the letter "o" as an incorrect rendering in the English word woman is my idea that “o’s” and short “e’s” are extraneous additions to the correct pronunciations, found in the Qur’an. As these sounds were not originally revealed by Allah. The Qur’an is the only revelation, which has remained intact. Both the original Torah and Bible are non-extant and therefore, not open to analysis of their original linguistic aspects. The assumptions put forward regarding the Sumerian, Akkadian, Chaldean, Syriac, Aramaic and Hebrew roots, do not readily admit to these, being derived from the mother Arabic for obvious reasons.

Here, I shall offer a very plausible argument for my suggestion that Arabic is the true language of humanity, based on some concrete examples, with which we can form illuminating comparisons.

If Allah, the Eternal Unchanging Truth, chose to call Himself Allah… is it meet and proper for any created being to change His name? Do any of us have the power to move an atom in the universe without Allah’s first moving it and giving us the ability to be used, as His instruments?

Consider the usage in Hebrew of the word “Elohim”. Elohim stands for the concept of the Supreme Being, along with His attributes. We Muslims say Allahumma for Allah and His attributes, or names and characteristics. Those who went astray, after they knew the truth from bani Isra’il are known in Arabic as “yahud”. They were not content with the limitations of Allah in any fashion, and were always adding or deleting to that which Allah had ordained. Similarly, they do the same behavior today, with genetic engineering, euthanasia and cryonics etc., forever exceeding the limits of Allah, even in regards to life and death!

The word “Elohim” (plural of “eloha” – the powerful) was invented by them to resist the Almighty. “A” – The first letter of Allah’s name, was changed to “E” and the second was changed to “o”. There are portions in the Pentateuch, which refer to Elohim and others, which refer to Yahweh and was changed to Jehovah only in the 14th century. It is read in Greek as Adonis and in Latin as Dominus.

Yet, Allah the Almighty, who is the “all in all” – does not ever change and thusly it would stand to reason, neither would His name. It is now and forever, as it was revealed in the Qur’an – ALLAH.

I hope this sheds light on the concern you have and would help reply to your question.

01:48 PM Dec 07 2008 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

Thanks to all for replying.

@machoo

for example ur father or brother his name '' james'' when i asking u saying ''wheres james?'' or saying ''wheres ur brother?'' whats the difrance for u ! )

It makes a lot of difference. The word "brother"  is a  common noun and "james" is a proper noun.

The word "prophet" is a common noun,  but "Mohammad" is a proper noun.

I hope you got my point.

Allah could be a "common noun" in arabic.

02:29 PM Dec 07 2008 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

@zanaz

nice piece of info, thanks.

This might sound out of context though, but never the less good info=

Strange as it might sound, "a" is the first and "aha" is the first and the last vowel in Sanskrit.

Sanskrit and Tamil is considered as one of the oldest languages. Proto Sanskrit or pre vedic Sanskrit is nearly 5000 Year old. Structured or vedic Sanskrit is 3000 years old.

the word Man might have come from proto sanskrit word "Manavaha"
Mother came from from "Mathru"
Brother from "Brahatru"
Navigation from "Navagatha"
Geometry from "Giyamithi" there are many such examples.
There have been neumerous comparitive study of sanskrit and many of the European languages.

Infact sanskrit is said to be the most apt language for computer programming language

"There have been suggestions to use Sanskrit as a metalanguage for knowledge representation in e.g. machine translation, and other areas of natural language processing because of its relatively high regular structure. This is due to Classical Sanskrit being a regularized, prescriptivist form abstracted from the much more complex and richer Vedic Sanskrit. This leveling of the grammar of Classical Sanskrit began during the Brahmana phase, and had not yet completed by the time of Panini, when the language had fallen out of popular use."

http://www.a42.com/node/173

More info on indo-european languages
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo_European_language

In the south of India, Brahmins chant a strange mantra , which is not in any of the known written langauge. Scientist have infered it as bird calls, probably originating from Africa, the cradel of human life.

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=EK0hMsFpeBo

04:14 PM Dec 07 2008 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

I did some research on the net , and found out this.

1) "The term Allāh is derived from a contraction of the Arabic definite article al- "the" and ʾilāh "deity, god" to al-lāh meaning "the [sole] deity, God" ." 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allah

I don;t know to what extent this is correct –

Pre-Islamic Arabia

In pre-Islamic Arabia, Allah was used by Meccans as a reference to the creator-god, possibly the supreme deity. Allah was not the sole divinity and the notion of the term may have been vague in the Meccan religion. Allah had associates and companions, whom pre-Islamic Arabs considered as subordinate deities. Meccans held that a kind of kinship existed between Allah and the jinn. Allah had sons and the local deities of al-‘Uzzá, Manāt and al-Lāt were his daughters. The Meccans possibly associated angels with Allah. Allah was invoked in times of distress. Muhammad's father's name was ʿAbdallāh meaning the “servant of Allāh.” or "the slave of Allāh"

04:28 PM Dec 07 2008 |

Eydo

Eydo

Turkey

God could be anything as used to be used in the past; such as a sun was go of some nations, a mountain could be a god for others or stars moon etc. but ALLAH is only one who created all the whole universe  and the world. Find out the following a parat of the article which was written by;

Author: Ola Bahgat Badawi related to your question

<!- Source -><!- Place -><!- TranslatedBy and PreparedBy -><!- Creation Date ->

Date: 2000-10-16

<!- Last Updates -><!- Article in opposite language ->

This article in arabic

“There is no god but Allah” La Ilaha Ila Allah I also discovered the meaning of “God is the Greatest”. Suddenly I realized that anything, which I valued in this world, was inferior to God. Only at that moment did I start to repeat the words ”Allah is the Greatest” Allahu Akbar; the meaning of which filled me with light and this light helped me to destroy my idols.

Then I understood the second phrase; ”Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah” Muhammad Rasulu Allah. The difficulty here was even greater because I had never assigned any meaning to this phrase. I had always believed that I was establishing a direct relationship with Allah. I was not aware that that was wrong because I was as if trying to put limits to what is Absolute, which was impossible to do. At the outset I resisted the concept of “Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah” as a link between God and me. Seyedna Prophet Muhammad is the guide who witnessed and manifested the true meaning of “There is no god but Allah”. He is the” Inner Light.”

05:52 PM Dec 07 2008 |

machoo

machoo

Egypt

sure i und u javamanju ) just i wanted to explan by tooo easy way and hope u und all of the msg and allah its our god name and coz theres no god els allah so he is the god..if u wana ask about any just drop me aline ) nice to talk to u ) have nice night )if u realy would like to know all about that sentance u can go and download that little pdf file ''http://www.ahmed-deedat.net/wps/modules.php?name=myBooks2&op=open&cat=7&book=304''

u will und hope if not give me a sign ) c u )

11:46 PM Dec 07 2008 |

machoo

machoo

Egypt

this also will be useful  ''  http://www.ahmed-deedat.net/wps/modules.php?name=myBooks2&op=listt&cat=7  ''

11:52 PM Dec 07 2008 |

lovekem

United Kingdom

What a nice thing to see.

02:54 PM Dec 11 2008 |