Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Brokeback Mountain

ophilia

ophilia

China

First I declare I am not a lesbian. But I should admitted when I watched the movie-Brokeback Mountain I was deeply touched. I shed so many tears.

Some chinese directors also have shot movies about gays and lesbians, but I really have no interested in them In my opinion, hehehe they are just blue films. But Brokeback Mountain is so different. Now I even believe people of same gender ,truely, can fall deeply in love with each other.

What do you think of the difference between TRUE/PURE friendship and love(both SAME gender and OPPOSITE gender)? I mean if physical issue hasn't happened…..Do you believe love without physical contact? How to tell stimulation from love?

05:32 PM Jan 30 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Radunagi

Radunagi

United States

We don't choose love.  Love chooses us.

You don't have to be gay to love Brokeback Mountain.  It was a work of art.  

Plus, Heath Ledger was a wonderfully gifted actor.  

07:04 AM Jan 31 2009 |

aljensen

aljensen

United States

Brokeback Mountain was directed by a Chinese person as well – 李安!

Honestly I thought the movie was sort of boring, but the author who wrote the short story the movie is based on is one of my favorite writers – Annie Proulx, who also wrote a great novel called "The Shipping News".

03:17 PM Feb 01 2009 |

Noelle_Lee

Noelle_Lee

Hong Kong

The guy upstairs, I guess I know you, you're eager to learn Chinese aren't you.

I'm glad to see that you can write the Chinese characters.

Greetings~! 

03:27 PM Feb 01 2009 |

ICanFly!

ICanFly!

Poland

iwell, i think, everyone deserves love, no matter if it is homosexual or hererosexual love. if two people love each other, whats wrong with that? our populace doesn't treat sexual preferences eqally, and thats why there are so many problems with that stuff. mayby it is somehow against the nature, a kind of a disease, but we don't  treat  sick people the way we treat gays. i don't understand why people can't accept that, it's kinnda freek, i admit, but freakness is the part of human life, isnt it? :)

if it comes about the film, in my opinion it was a bit boring. but the subject was … strong :P

05:08 PM Feb 01 2009 |

ophilia

ophilia

China

oho! ladies and gentlemen…how could you think the movie is boring?! The tounching plot , the heartbroken ending, the picturesque scenery , the swaying melodies and songs (< I don't want to say goodbey>, <he is a friend of mine>...and , of course,the handsome actors…. hehehe how could such a movie tedious….

In fact, I haven't cried so heartly for a long time

06:07 PM Feb 01 2009 |

ophilia

ophilia

China

Ang Lee (李安) said :"everybody has a brokeback mountain in heart"

The words are very hard to understand. what do you think?

06:10 PM Feb 01 2009 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

didn't they ban that movie in china?

06:11 PM Feb 01 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

the movie never aired in the People's Republic, but it's available on pirated DVD, It was shown in Taiwan, though. 

The PRC also censored part of Lee's Oscar acceptance speech when he mentioned Taiwan and Hong Kong. 

06:51 PM Feb 01 2009 |

ophilia

ophilia

China

not only on pirated DVD but on many websites~  I really can't understand why such a movie wasn't allowed in China.

Qkisse: yeah, the pRC censored it and the PRC is always censoring news negative about China or different opinions.  BUT, HOWEVER, hehehehe NO WALL IS THE WALL IN THE WORLD. ~ We can get any news on LINE.

11:58 AM Feb 03 2009 |

ophilia

ophilia

China

strange …. why  the words in my last post are different styles?

12:03 PM Feb 03 2009 |