Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Choice of Nationality

ophilia

ophilia

China

Do you think a person really loves his or her homeland if he/she gives up his homeland nationality for a Green Card of U.S.A or Canada, etc? or they just make the decision out of economic benefit?

Many chinese make every effort to get Green Card. Do almost ANYTHING!

And many celebrities join the American nationality secretly while making big money in china.

However, recently, a Chinese movie star Jack Chen encouraged his son to give up American nationality for Chinese nationality. As a Chinese I am very proud of Jack Chen. He himself has given up Green Card years ago.

What do you think of that?

05:41 PM Feb 01 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Radunagi

Radunagi

United States

Do you mean Jackie Chan? 

Personally, I won't judge anyone that wants to make a better life for themselves or their children.   Culture changes all the time, and it is important for people to do what they think is best. 

10:53 PM Feb 01 2009 |

aljensen

aljensen

United States

Ophelia, you make a big mistake – there is a big difference between getting a green card and actually being a US citizen (I can't say for Canada, but in the USA at least). You DO NOT give up your home nationality for a green card, but only if you become a citizen (that is why you must renew your green card while residing in the USA).

Also, it is quite possible to find work as a resident alien, a student, etc. There are many different visa options available for people with job skills and a clean criminal record. You do not have to be a US citizen to work in the United States.

America is a nation built by immigrants, and my ancestors are immigrants – German, Danish,  and Irish. I hope that anyone who wishes to immigrate to the US is given an opportunity to do so, but if they choose to come to the USA they should be willing to fully commit to the United States and being an American.

07:12 AM Feb 02 2009 |

ophilia

ophilia

China

Radunagi: Yes, jackie chan , the man with a big nose.hehehe

11:40 AM Feb 03 2009 |

ophilia

ophilia

China

aljensen: oh it is the first time I know it. You mean I don't need to give up my chinese nationality if I apply for Green Card? Or it is decided by the regulations of different countries.

China doesn't support dual nationality.

11:44 AM Feb 03 2009 |

aljensen

aljensen

United States

You can get a Green Card without giving up your original citizenship.

Having a US green card is not the same as being a US citizen, it is the step BEFORE becoming a US citizen.

Many people can come to work in the USA without applying for citizenship. You can be a temporary worker, for instance.

01:23 PM Feb 03 2009 |