Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Should we choose our religion by ourself ?

devindernagpal

India

Friends,

Can we choose our religion by ourself ?

Do we get an oppurtnity to choose our religion ?

Should we struggle for our right to choose our religion ?

Does our religion has any value for us when we 'get it free of cost & desire'?

02:44 AM Feb 03 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

gkisseberth

Germany

No, I don't have children, but my girlfriend has two.

11:11 PM Feb 06 2009 |

rocky219

rocky219

Canada

Well, each person has a right to choose a religion depending on his/her belief. However, majority of people in the world inherit their religion from their parents especially when it brings greater spiritual happiness and peace to their lives.

12:11 AM Feb 07 2009 |

sunay

sunay

Turkey

Gkisseberth,
Thanks for answering my question.
Now I am trying to write how my children are religious educated. In generall each of us belongs to any society which has its own values and standards also religion. When my children were very small we read to them almost all fairy tales as every parents do.  Fairy stories include also the way of life: religion, bad or good  people, winners and loser. In the real life they met people who were practising their religion in church or mosque or experienced some special religious ceremonies. At that time of ages the children learn by asking. so they did and we answered their question just as informative. When they started with school we as parents had to decide which religion lesson they get at school. We were lucky that we live in a city with 3.4 million inhabitants 70% of them dont practise their religion or the religion their parents belong to. In that respect there is a teaching unit as alternative  to religion which is called life skills. At the moment there is a fighting between church and school administration and politicans whether the religion will get as compulsory subject for each pupil or not because the most of parents choose the teaching unit as life skills for their children and the religion loses its function. In summery it is damned hard to live the way which is prefered by someone in a society which doesnt allowed to decide freely and autonomous or offers other alternative. Very important is for us at the moment that we afford  a background for our children who get later the ability to make decision theirselves for their lives.

06:36 AM Feb 07 2009 |

aymoooone

aymoooone

Saudi Arabia

Can we choose our religion by our self ?

well, dude i think that it depends on what ur society beliefs.  as we were children , we ask a lot of Qs and when u get old enough  i think u will be aware whether it's good or not . " by the consequences"  

Do we get an opportunity to choose our religion ?

of course we do. i think every thing is obvious :)  

Should we struggle for our right to choose our religion ?

everybody goes through phases but u have to choose the right one that to make ur Allah (GOD) satisfied :)

Does our religion has any value for us when we 'get it free of cost & desire'?

sorry i dont get it :(

i just wanna say that i hope that  u  try the Islamic religion coz' i think that there is NO riddles ,,, with do all respect the other religions :)

i hope Allah bless u and make u happy all the time :) 

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers :)

09:19 AM Feb 07 2009 |

sunay

sunay

Turkey

Aymo,
How about with respect to the person who don't believe in god, because you just say you do all respect the other religions?

10:17 AM Feb 07 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Honestly, I think the reason children have to be indoctrinated at an early age when their minds are vulnerable is that if parents and others didn't do so and left their minds free of such things, when they encountered books like the bible and koran at a later age they would likely recognize them as the nonsense they really are. 

04:26 PM Feb 07 2009 |

sunay

sunay

Turkey

Gkisseberth,

I agree at 100% with you. Religious education for children should be forbidden. If there would be high quality religion it should be able to convince grownups.

05:22 PM Feb 07 2009 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

@Gkiss

books like the bible and koran at a later age they would likely recognize them as the nonsense they really are.

Not necessaarily.

Future generation may think that these book (Quran, Bible, Gita, Torah etc etc etc )written god's commands as non-sense,

But may not think that contents(atleast most of it) are non sense or irrelevent . It only tells you how to be a better person. These books were written by great philosophers. 

05:40 PM Feb 07 2009 |