Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

can you be good without god?

gkisseberth

Germany

groups in two cities in Indiana are struggling to have the above signs placed on public busses.

What do you thin? can you be GOOD without GOD?

04:28 PM May 17 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

gkisseberth

Germany

Matrix, i think you can be good WITH a god, yes.

04:51 PM May 17 2009 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

this is a very interesting question:

I'll give my personal answer once the thread is sufficiently flooded.

05:20 PM May 17 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Well, the question as far as I can see seems meaningless, but due to my belief, (a) god that you mentioned is not as same as GOD.

I was trying to avoid limiting my answer to any particular god or gods.

But what about my question. Can you be good WITHOUT God? In other words, if you don't submit to God's will, as you say, can you be good? 

Yet we must recognize that God would be able to manage our life IF we submitted ourselves to His Will. Thus I can be good with God. (God willing).

So you are good because god wills it so. Does that mean that bad people or bad acts are also because god wills it? 

05:32 PM May 17 2009 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him.  Voltaire

I don't think this sentense is said without thinking.

The moral which comes from believing in God is proven and it is one of the most important things to be good which is very less in the atheistic community though they dont agree to that. But in that question it is important to discuss the meaning of "good". What is good in the life? making money? to be good at sinning or praying? to be good at school or to be good at laziness? ...

GOD not "god" says that we should be good at helping, at caring about others, at praying etc etc…

06:37 PM May 17 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

so, Matrix is one good deed is worth 10 points, and a bad deed is worth -1, is God keeping score? What happens if you end up with negative points?  You lose and go to hell?  :)

anyway, back to the question. can you be a good person (do good deeds) without god in your life? 

07:43 PM May 17 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

anyway, back to the question. can you be a good person (do good deeds) without god in your life?

Excuse me!?

Is this question directed to me personally?

the question (which was in the original post) is directed at anyone who cares to red this thread. You turned it around and asked a different question. Can you answer this one? I'm interested in your opinion. 

10:32 PM May 17 2009 |

Sawdestination

Mexico

"Every human has an internal balance which indicates what is good and what is bad."

What about some serial killers, those who doesn´t have a "balance" to know that their murders are bad? I don´t have names in mind, but I have read about serial killers that doesn´t feel anything about such horrible acts.

I believe we can´t be good without God in our life. But for sure, a person with no religion won´t agree with me.

12:34 AM May 18 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

I believe we can´t be good without God in our life. But for sure, a person with no religion won´t agree with me.

probably not, Saw. However it would seem to mean that you think non-religious people are not good. Do you know any non-religious people? Do you think they are evil/bad people? 

12:48 AM May 18 2009 |

Linkiss972

Linkiss972

Martinique

In my point of view, I can't live without God, He is my live's reason! He helps me everydays. Mercy to Him, I can wake up everydays, eat, talk, pray, be with my family, sleep and so on… I can't live without Him!

It's real that sometimes, TV or sciences critic religions, but I am sure that, there is a Big Power, A Big Master who help us somewhere and see us!

I am in a science class and my teachers always talk about the Darwin's theory…, but I am sure that He lived, He is living and He'll live with us FOREVER !!! Smile

PS: I am french so, sorry about errors !!!

12:50 AM May 18 2009 |

aveuna

aveuna

Philippines

No, I can't! Hahahah!

GOD's intervention is the basis why I'm doing good..

I don't want to be thrown in hell. :) 

02:11 AM May 18 2009 |