Salam mea..." /> Salam mea..."/>

Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Meaning of Salam

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

Word: Salam Meaning: <!-bgcolor=”#E0F8DA”->Salam means "Peace". It is the most shortened version of the Islamic greeting (Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh) and originates from the hebrew greeting 'Shalom'.

If someone says Salam to you, you should return the greeting by saying Salam back, or Wa Alaikum As-Salam (and upon you be peace). True Form: سلام listen Grammar: greeting; word; Explanation: Abu Hurairah narrated that the Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) said: "Allah created Adam from dust after He mixed the clay and left him for some time until it became sticky mud, after which Allah shaped him. After that Allah left him till it became like potter's clay [a sounding clay]. Iblis used to go past him saying 'You have been created for a great purpose.' After that Allah breathed His spirit into him. The first thing into which the spirit passed was his eye and then his nose. He [Adam] sneezed. Allah said: "May your Lord have mercy upon you, O Adam! Go to those angels and see what they would say.' So Adam went and greeted them. they replied saying: "Peace be upon you and the mercy and blessings of Allah." Allah said: "O Adam! This is your greeting and that of your offspring." (Sahih Bukhari).

This is the origin of saying as-Salamu-Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh (peace, mercy and blessings be upon you) when we greet each other; as-Salamu-Alaykum is the shorter verion of this. The Prophet Muhammed (SAW) re-established this wonderful tradition among the Muslims. 

12:10 PM Jul 27 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Rikarduhedgehog

Portugal

oh :D

This one I knew! =)

Alsalam aleikum XD

12:15 PM Jul 27 2009 |

Sun-Rise

Sun-Rise

Saudi Arabia

thanks that is so nice topic , I really like it ^^

03:13 PM Jul 27 2009 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

you all are welcome

as salamu alaykum va rahmatullahi va barakatu

05:06 PM Jul 27 2009 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

"oh :D

This one I knew! =)

Alsalam aleikum XD
"

IT APPEARS FROM UR ICON RICKARDOريكاردو

05:56 AM Jul 28 2009 |

h-a-h

h-a-h

Bahrain

السلامع عليكم

Smileالرد:وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته

Alsalam aleikum

Wa'alikme Alsalam Warahmet Allah Wa Barakatoh

i now it's long but u can say Wa'alikme Alslame

08:44 AM Jul 28 2009 |

start_zhang

China

aha, i know it also. yeah, nice word.

but, when my friends say "salam" to me, that means it's time to say goodbye, some kind of pity…hehe…

08:56 AM Jul 28 2009 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

START,
THEN U HAVE MUSLIM FRIENDS!!!!!?

12:03 PM Jul 28 2009 |

start_zhang

China

Osesame,

yeah, and it's my luck to have friends like themSmile. god bless them!

01:44 AM Jul 29 2009 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

OOH, IT SEEMS THAT U HAVE A PURE HEARTSmile.....NOT LIKE SOMEWink.....GOD BLESS U TOO…..

07:39 AM Jul 29 2009 |

start_zhang

China

thank you osesame.

god bless all kind personsCool

08:58 AM Jul 29 2009 |