Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Fasting month (ramadan)

amal08

amal08

Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Every year in the month of Ramada-n, all Muslims fast from dawn until sundown—abstaining from food, drink, and sexual relations with their spouses.

Those who are sick, elderly, or on a journey, and women who are menstruating, pregnant or nursing, are permitted to break the fast and  make up an equal number of days later in the year if they are healthy and able. Children begin to fast (and to observe prayers) from puberty, although many start earlier.

Although fasting is beneficial to health, it is mainly a method of self-purification and self-restraint. By cutting oneself from worldly comforts, even for a short time, a fasting person focuses on his or her purpose in life by constantly being aware of the presence of God.  God states in the Qur'an:  "O you who believe! Fasting is prescribed for you as it was prescribed to those before you that you may learn self-restraint." (Qur'an 2:183)

"Permitted for you is sexual intercourse with your wives during the nights of fasting. They are the keepers of your secrets, and you are the keepers of their secrets. GOD knew that you used to betray your souls, and He has redeemed you, and has pardoned you. Henceforth, you may have intercourse with them, seeking what GOD has permitted for you. You may eat and drink until the white thread of light becomes distinguishable from the dark thread of night at dawn. Then, you shall fast until sunset. Sexual intercourse is prohibited if you decide to retreat to the Masjid (during the last ten days of Ramadan). These are GOD's laws; you shall not transgress them. GOD thus clarifies His revelations for the people, that they may attain salvation."

(al-Baqarah, 2:187)

"Allaah has made Laylat al-Qadr in this month, which is better than a thousand months, as Allaah says…The Night of Al-Qadr is better than a thousand months. Therein descend the angels and the Rooh [Jibreel (Gabriel)] by Allaah's
Permission with all Decrees, there is peace until the appearance of dawn."

(al-QADAR 97:1-5)

wish to all of you happy ramadan

12:08 PM Aug 17 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

amal08

amal08

salam rosells,

how are you?I have a sister in liybay and you know what,I havent seen her since 10 years,i hope we can meet soon,

mayIask you from which city are you?

happy ramadan

08:04 PM Aug 17 2009 |

ilona.vienna

China

i want to know when this year's ramdan begin

12:51 AM Aug 18 2009 |

Jack_240

Jack_240

Saudi Arabia

less than a week

01:38 AM Aug 18 2009 |

pop272001

pop272001

Indonesia

Finally..I can meet Ramadhan again..(even still wait less than a week)

02:21 AM Aug 18 2009 |

ilona.vienna

China

no,please!i want the exact date….tks a lot

02:46 AM Aug 18 2009 |

start_zhang

China

22nd of AugustLaughing

03:04 AM Aug 18 2009 |

pop272001

pop272001

Indonesia

Maybe Saturday (22th august)...but it depends on Hisab and Rukyah…

Hisab is based on mathematic and astronomy calculation , Rukyah is an activity ulama (specially islamic expert) to watch the crescent moon up in the sky firstly..(this is sign of new moon)

Usually our gov will inform us about Hisab and Rukyah Calculation in the night before fast day.. so we can be sure that what the day we begin fasting

03:14 AM Aug 18 2009 |

ilona.vienna

China

thanks a lot!

hope you enjoy it!

so this is a great event in your muslim life?

i think so

03:18 AM Aug 18 2009 |

h-a-h

h-a-h

Bahrain

I like ramadan and fast

Laughing

In my country ramadan start on friday or saterday

Ramadan Creem

07:02 AM Aug 18 2009 |

amal08

amal08

salam ilona  yeah its great event in our life,

ramadan fast unites muslims and bring them together as egual slaves who can be forgiven of their sins devoid of discrimination in the sight of ALLAH.

Giving alms , charity , feeding the poor and opening our doors to others for iftar (eating) is encouaged during this holy month.

In ramadan the doors of heaven are open , doors of hell are closed, devils are chained down .

ramadan teaches us to be patient with ourselves and the people around us , it teaches how to feels to be without the basices of life like food and water and it makes us ever thankful that we have it at our disposal, and its remind us of the less fortunate  poor  and ill people.

07:36 AM Aug 18 2009 |